Old 07-29-2003, 07:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Meals on Wheels

I've been thinking for a long time for some thing that I could contribute to the Airstream Forum, that might be of use to my fellow streamers. One of the problems we have is figuring out what to take for meals. My wife always asks what do you want to eat? I am always clueless but she comes up with a plan anyway.

Since my wive is a very creative cook, I thought it would interesting to post some of the wonderful meals that she prepares. She uses a lot of recipes for Cooking Light, and Southern Living and these may be copyrighted so I am just going to describe the meals, with enough detail that you could probably either find the original recipe with a web search or come close by just adjusting the ingredients to your own taste.

Friday Evening

Mango chicken salad, recipe from Hugh Carpenter & ? ( they have written several good cook books {Hot Series} I think this one is from the Hot Chicken Cookbook. But basically the recipe consists of grilled chicken breast ( we sliced it up and grilled i t in the frying pan, because we arrived late and didn't want to cook over the campfire.) match stick pieces of fresh ginger & other normal salad stuff, served over torn romaine lettuce and topped with a dressing made with seasame oil and soy sauce

Sat Morning

Wholewheat & Buckwheat pancakes with blueberries, sliced cantalopes.

Sat Lunch

A really great sandwich: on homemade white bread, spread a layer of mango chutney mixed with broken peanuts & mayonaise, top with smoked turkey, Havarti cheese, thinly sliced apple, bread&butter pickle slices, romaine lettuce leaf and the second slice of bread.

Sat Dinner

Sirloin steak cubed and coated with Jalpeno jelly and cooked on skewers over the grill, with grilled red bell peppers & mushrooms.
Corn on the cob coated with a thin layer of Jalapeno jelly and wraped in foil and cooked on the fire.

Sun Morning

Greek scrambled eggs with, left over grilled vegetables, onions & Feta cheese, served in Pita bread that was warmed by laying it right on the burner and turned with tongs when it starts to char slightly. This also works well for tortillas.

This has been a lot of work but when you post meal plans or favorite dishes that you prepare in your Airstream or over your campfire, it will be worth it since when she asks I have some new ideas.

Rod Pease
19' Bambi
2001GMC Z-71 5.3L 3.73
5W-30 Synthetic
Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master
When we are vacationing, we like to be rather spontaneous in our meal planning. This allows us to take advantage of whatever local items which might be available. Our program is to say, "Oh, that looks good. Now what do we want with it?"

I do all the cooking when away from home, and we have a charcoal grill, a two burner cooktop, and microwave, so I am good for about anything except baking. Which is fine, as I never bake anything anyway.

At least twice a week I fix pancakes. My own recipie. I particularly enjoy them with fried apples.

The only problem I have run into is cooking rice or pasta at high altitudes. I have not been willing to stock a pressure cooker, so we seem to eat a lot of potatoes when in the mountains.

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:27 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Your "chef" sure is creative.
I'm going to try the Saturday lunch right now! so... kitchen, here I come

qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
4th of July weekend, we hit a local farm stand near our campground. Fresh Southern Ohio sweetcorn, baby red potatoes, and fresh green beans, was a meal in itself.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Originally posted by j54mark
... so I am good for about anything except baking. Which is fine, as I never bake anything anyway.
Actually, a toaster oven would take care of this. A decent toaster oven that you can bake and broil with, would be ideal for a trailer. You wouldn't get the heat from a stove oven, but at the same time, be able to broil steaks or chicken (if it's raining and the grill can't be used) or bake small pans of corn bread, etc.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:23 PM   #6
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
how about fresh black hills trout and south dakota sweet corn on the grill?

live lobsters flown in from maine, delivered right to the campground!

we were the envy of all of our fellow campers!

john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
Talking Gosh, you guys are making me hungry!

We have a Coleman Road Trip grill that stays with the trailer. It has interchangeable tops (a griddle, a grill top and a burner top that will accomodate a skillet or pot). 99% of the time we use this instead of the stove/oven in the camper. I guess my favorite meal is a thick, juicy steak with mushrooms and onions along with taters and corn on the cob. All done on the grill. Topped off with a cold adult beverage of choice! Yummmmm!
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 03:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master
"Actually, a toaster oven would take care of this."

I had thought of getting one. They do, after all, double as a toaster. We had one when first married and used it for many years. You are right, for two people they work great.

But for reasons I don't fully understand myself, my cooking habits never seem to extend to baking. Except for bread - I do like to make homemade bread. But not when camping.

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 03:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We use our oven to make fresh peach cobbler...MMMMmmmm!

I also use it to:

1) Bake cookies during an VAC Open House if it's not too hot out....

2) Heat up "mini-quiches" for happy hour...

3) Make a "group breakfast" while at a rally and use it to keep things my Grand Marnier French Toast or bacon/sausage

4) Bake cinnamon rolls for breakfast...

Right now...something is wrong with the thermostat, so I need to get it fixed...not my top priority, but I do miss it!

All these could be done with a large-ish toaster oven like a Delongi...but take up precious counter space.

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
Unhappy Broken Thermostat?????

Am I to understand that at next week's VAC Rally in La Veta, because of a broken thermostat in your trailer:

1) There will be no "mini-quiches" at happy hour;

2) The Grand Marnier French Toast will be cold; and

3) The cookies at the Open House will be store-bought?????

Just what kind of camping trip is this??????
63flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No worries Tom...

...I have other ideas up my sleeve, including "The Chili Dump"

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
Ann Arbor
fast cold soup

Here's a recipe I made up when the temps were in the 90s and the humidity was even higher. It would have been even better if I had thought ahead and put all the ingredients in the reefer well beforehand.

Combine a can of seasoned diced tomatoes, a can of corn (not creamed), a can of beans (kidney, black or other choice), salsa, salt and pepper to taste, and if you have them, chopped fresh onion or chives, and chopped cucumber. I also added some olive oil and a bit of vinegar to give it a gazpacho taste.

We found this very refreshing. You can enlarge the recipe as needed by varying the number of cans of each ingredient. It also keeps nicely for a day or so in a cold reefer.

maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Hot peas

I made up this recipe when we were ready to leave the house for a rally and suddenly realized we had nothing packed for the pot luck and no opportunity to shop on the way. I just used what was in the pantry. To my surprise, about 6 people came up to me after dinner and asked for the recipe.

Two cans black-eyed peas with jalopinos
One large onion diced up
One bag of shredded jack cheese
A dash of cilantro or oregano
Salt and pepper

Mix peas and onion, spread cheese on top, sprinkle with herbs, bake until hot though and cheese is melted.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master
South Shore , Kentucky
I thought of starting another thread about campfire meals and then I came across this one.

This is one dish we enjoy and itís easy to fix! I'm not sure it has a name but it's simply a chicken and vegetable packet. You can use as much or as little veggies as you want, leave out some or add others.

Cut up some potatoes, green beans, carrots, chopped onions, corn, with chicken breast on top. Donít forget the salt and pepper. Adding Garlic is very good also. You will need butter or oil, seal it up in aluminum foil and grill for about 20-25 minutes. Turning the packets isnít necessary.

Yum! Yum! Yum!

Visit our church on the web!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote