Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Maybe, once found....

Dave,

Maybe once this Trade Wind is found, we can see if we can TAC-a-haul it.... to see if we can get it from where it's found to you via TAC members pulling together and shuttling it along until it gets home Dave.. something that would be make for a VERY COOL recovery story!!! Let's find this Trade Wind...

Rob
TAC NY-1
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 08-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #62

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mode Mode>>

Yes there are many elements to the story and as Stef indicates it is not a mod function to determine post validity. The membership (a great group I might add) does a fantastic job of validating information posted here and are quick to point out omissions, errors, and add pertinent information to threads and posts.

But remember there's a fine line between questioning someone's story and being accusatory. We take the "Be Nice Rule" seriously.

Thanks,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 08-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Dave, can you post what information you were able to pass on to authorities from Bert?
You had posted earlier that a local PD officer in Fort Stockton had a sighting there and was curious if the direction of your trailer is still heading Westerly.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Dave said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
My feeling is my TW will show up in a couple of weeks and be reported, and then I'll just have to figure out how to get it home, and find out if it is damaged.

So bummed, but not as bummed as Saturday.
I've been following this thread, hoping for good news. Any kind of theft can be devastating in so many ways - but a much loved Airstream . . . . like you said, it's gotta be bumming. But I continue to think it will be found, hopefully still in good shape. As Rob suggested, I am more than willing and able to offer any help you may need getting your trailer transported back home to you. Stay optimistic.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Ahh, the internet. Where even a story about a stolen trailer is mercilessly dissected and "confirmed" false because the owner didn't have the tag number that the thief put on it.

I'm sorry for your loss, Dave Park. I hope someone finds it for you.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview View Post
Dave, can you post what information you were able to pass on to authorities from Bert?
You had posted earlier that a local PD officer in Fort Stockton had a sighting there and was curious if the direction of your trailer is still heading Westerly.
The information from Bert was general. It wasn't specific to my airstream.

I'm waiting on a message from him with more details that I can pass on, but... I have a friend who is a Wilco PD officer and he explained that they usually allocate a time budget to certain types of crimes, and where it's unlikely they'll be able to resolve it, that usually tops out at 2 or 4 hours.

When the information arrives, if it doesn't really bring something relevant to the case, I don't want to burn my "time" on a dead end. However, if it's solid enough that it really links in... I won't know until I get the email.

It's harder because it's evident the guy skipped town and most likely the state. I don't get all this jurisdiction stuff. Especially when there isn't an identified suspect.

The only report we had was of a vehicle/trailer combination matching the description heading west on I-10 in Ft Stockton last Wednesday. By now it could be anywhere. If it's even the right one.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Q Cycle
Stolen Tradewind

Hi,
This is my first post and it will probably be useless but please bear with me. I only read the entire post today and had not read any of it before. I wish I would have. I just purchased a "restored" 1964 Tradewind (more on that as I get time) last week and have been particularly attuned to the old 'cans of late.

I saw a double axle, about the right vintage and right size Airstream being towed by a vehicle I paid no attention to north on Hwy 285 just north of Espanola, NM on Saturday afternoon around 4PM.

Probably very useless information but just thought I would pass it on. I live in Albuquerque and would be willing to help in a relay to tow the recovered trailer back to TX when it's found.

Go easy on me.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi Dave,

Sorry I'm so confused about this thread. I'm sure you'll be able to explain. Did you have two trailers? Or was your previous signature that shows a 1970 trailer, two days before you started this thread, a mistake?

Moisture barrier under laminate flooring? - Airstream Forums

Click image for larger version

Name:	Confused.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	109790

Gary
Old 08-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I recently went to my bank and asked for a cashier's check. They said they no longer issue them as they are so easily faked. They issue bank checks instead. I guess until they figure out how to fake them too.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
I'm in Los Angeles. Get some pictures for us. I'm so sorry and I'll tell you that we're lookin' for it out here
Old 08-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
That is my mistake. I had a 1975 Tradewind. I thought I had a "1970s" Tradewind. It was only when I was really checking into it that I found it was a 1975. I even made the deal to ell it thinking it was 1970 and it said 1970 on the paperwork (because that's what I'd told the insurer when I got it too.)

I have worked on a few different Airstreams, including axle replacements, interior repair and replacements, including restoring my own.

As I said in my previous post: I got my airstream as it was an RV to do a job. I learned it, then learned other people's trailers and fell in love with them. Then, bored and out of commission due to my leg I stumbled across this forum a few months ago, and read a lot, then registered.

Through joining airforums I found form and shape to what it was that drew me to them, and found there was a whole culture built around fixin' what's wrong, making things better and just plain having fun with our Airstreams. I volunteered with TAC and do the mag now. I started reaching out to fellow Airstreamers. I decided, given all these ideas, and realizing what was possible, that I needed a different Airstream that better fit my needs - a little larger, lighter and completely new innards (hence my forever airstream thread).

I know myself and you don't. My wife reminded me that there are people who think when a person is a victim of a crime they are somehow responsible, or *gasp* even lying, and sometimes they are. But sometimes, they just got robbed and had no say in it. Sorry I set off your spidey sense by being a little unclear and incoherent and uninformed. I was upset and angry and bummed, and not especially well educated about my own trailer's intimate details. You don't get to learn these things until it's important. It's been confusing. A friend did this to me. I wasn't even sure it was happening at first.

If you would like to contact me privately, I would be happy to provide copies of my previous insurance paperwork, and I think I have the old tag/registration paperwork around here somewhere too, not sure. Still digging through the CDs in spare time. About 75 to go.

I'm not going to let this ruin another evening - I am off to the 2nd session of bingo.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi Dave,

No, I don't want to see your insurance papers:-) I hope it all works out for you.

Gary
Old 08-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I don't really like to be skeptical in these situations, but there is just too much going on with all the 'details' Dave's put forth, except he can't find any pictures...hum...how many of us don't have pic's close by of our 'treasured' Airstreams?

If he's been truly been the victim of a 'con' like this, I of course feel for him...it's just that the 'pieces' aren't falling into place enough to overwhelmingly to convince me...sorry...

Ray
Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Well, I've spent over 3 years working on mine in my spare time. I have tons of pics of repairs/parts to be shared - end results, etc.. But - other than the original pics when we brought it home - I might have one pic of the unit with me and the faithful Siberian Husky and one of the front while at the Wilds. Both would be worthless in this situation.

I do understand skepticism but.... not everyone operates the same folks....
Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
Question for those who are doubting this thread: Why are you so upset about it? Overall, if Dave is concocting a story it won't affect you in any way so drop the thread from your watch list and get on to another one.

Oh - and the whole picture thing? I have pictures of my '68 on my phone, on both of my computers, and probably on my camera...can I at this moment post one of them for you? Not a one. I don't have the time to dig through my 1000's of photos on this computer to find where I put the darn things, my other computer is on the fritz, I can't upload from my phone, and the Lord only knows where my camera is!

So - what will it hurt to keep an eye out for this '75 Tradewind being pulled by a Green Ford?

NADA. But possibly a funny story...
Old 08-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

What's the criminals name?

What is the criminals name, description and any other specific particulars? This information may keep others from getting ripped off by him. Also, maybe he will try to sue you for slander and then you will know where to find him! Post his name and picture everywhere, and bad mouth him into the ground. He may just come looking for you!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Complete interior for a vintage airstream trailer restoration

Who knows? I'm looking everywhere.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #78
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
To Splitrock and others, I don't know if this thread is on the level or not but I can tell you crooks do some screwy things. Right now I am in the middle of recovering $50,000 I loaned to a real dirtbag. I did not know at the time he was a dirtbag, the deal went through a mortgage broker who swore the guy was legit and I was dumb enough to believe it because the broker was endorsed by my lawyer, who had been doing real estate transactions for me for 5 years.

Back to the point. This whole experience was like a 3 Stooges sketch. If I told you what all this guy and his dirtbag relatives did you would say it was impossible for anybody to act that nutty, and I must have stolen the plot of some cheap comedy after a few too many drinks.

So, the point is, you can't always tell a story is fake because it seems impossible. Some crazy things can happen sometimes.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #79
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
By the way I have been a member of this forum for years and have posted 643 times and have yet to post a picture of my trailer.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
The pictures are important as well as a description of any identifying details of the trailer: rock guard, curtains, dents, scratches, decals, air numbers, propane tanks, AC on top and so on. That's because I own a 72 Tradewind and I wouldn't want to be headed West down I-10 since I live in Houston and be pulled over by a friendly thinking I'm a thief because it's silver and says Airstream/Tradewind on the side. So help us out Dave so that every Vintage Airstream between Texas and Arizona don't get the eye as suspect and the one that's yours is identified.
Closed Thread