Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
Not even the banks can tell all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Cashiers checks can be fraudulent......you can go online to research how to tell if they are fake or not... eBay Guides - How to tell if a CASHIER'S CHECK IS FAKE in 30 seconds....but just because you deposited them in your account is no guarantee they are good. You have to wait until they "settle" for you to really have the money--a matter that can take several days and by that time the buyer can be long gone.

Also, making a fake cashiers check must take some real effort.....not something that you can do easily I would think............sounds like this guy went to a lot of trouble to get what he wanted. pj
I received a cashiers check for my Dodge Pickup and took it to the bank before turning over the vehicle. I was highly suspicious because it was presented by a third party that was doing another guy a favor for a fee...???

The bank said it was good and after I explained why I was suspicious we (the bank and I) called the issuer of the check. They were a large company but had no idea if someone had issued the check. They had us call thier check printer to verify the check...it turned out to be a forgerey. The bank was astonished because it was a very good one and they were willing to process it.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I will keep my eyes peels for a Tradewind being towed by a dark green Explorer. I'm always on I-25 here in Albuquerque, so who knows??? We might get lucky.

I had an interesting buying experience when I bought my Ford F250. The seller agreed to meet us at our bank, (with the truck). While there, we had the bank cut the cashiers check right in front of him--that way he knew it was good. I thought, hmmmm pretty smart. I'll do the same if I ever sell anything requiring a check.

Keep us posted and hope you get your Airstream back!

Old 08-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #45

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara4rb View Post
I will keep my eyes peels for a Tradewind being towed by a dark green Explorer. I'm always on I-25 here in Albuquerque, so who knows??? We might get lucky.

I had an interesting buying experience when I bought my Ford F250. The seller agreed to meet us at our bank, (with the truck). While there, we had the bank cut the cashiers check right in front of him--that way he knew it was good. I thought, hmmmm pretty smart. I'll do the same if I ever sell anything requiring a check.

Keep us posted and hope you get your Airstream back!
That is a very tidy solution to the cashier's check quandary. It just requires having a branch of one of the buyer's banks relatively close and gets around the "is this genuine?" challenge pretty well.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The incredible part of this story for me is that Dave doesn't have pictures of his trailer and has never posted a picture of the trailer on this forum. Me thinks something's not right.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Do we even know the model year of this Tradewind?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #48
Silver Loon

2007 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Oro Valley , Arizona
Dave: Call me. we need to talk as I may have a lead for the police in NM.
Bert 760 625-4450 Midwest time - before 9 pm or after 8 am
Old 08-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Do we even know the model year of this Tradewind?
Hi,

It's a 1975. I thought I posted the year, but here's the original details from the first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
The trailer is a carefully restored, unpolished Tradewind, 25ft, all original exterior and interior, twin bed, carrying serial number L25-D5J-2916 (or maybe 2918 - it was dented there). There is a gray-painted equalizer WD hitch installed, two 40lb aluminum tanks with modern fittings, and GYMs on new axles. It carried white, 2" numbers "TX-16" in the back window, bottom center.

I have photos on a CD around here somewhere. When I locate it, I will post photos.
I have still not found the CD - I have about 250 CDs to look through. Unfortunately, I didn't do a very good job of labeling them :/

I have not received any new information or leads. Calling the poster above in a few minutes...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmarbert View Post
Dave: Call me. we need to talk as I may have a lead for the police in NM.
I just got off the phone with Bert. I'm passing his info on...

Also, I should add, they did find out the guy was using a stolen identity the whole time, and the person who that ID belongs to does currently live in Austin, TX and is confirmed by them as not involved. They do have a number of the fake checks and said it would take "at least a week" to get through the lab and "at least a week" after that to search for a match if they get a print.

So, nothing new there.

I was feeling like a huge fool right after this, but finding out he was quite sophisticated abut it, and that he took fifteen other people at the same time... To quote the person above... well, I think I would rather be a trusting person and get ripped off occasionally than an untrusting person who lives a life of suspicion.

My feeling is my TW will show up in a couple of weeks and be reported, and then I'll just have to figure out how to get it home, and find out if it is damaged.

So bummed, but not as bummed as Saturday.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Also, I have to admit to being a bit upset by a couple of posts above saying there's something fishy because I haven't posted any photos yet.

I took a couple of photos when I bought it, and a couple of photos after I finished working on it. This was all before I knew any other streamers or joined the forum, and before I even knew there was a culture of taking and sharing many photos of our exploits.

I take a TON of photos, everywhere I go. I would often have to burn two or three CDs a day to store them all, and never kept them on my laptop. Obviously, my attention was directed outward - my AS is familiar, but the mountains, trees rocks, streams - THAT stuff I can't tow home, so I photograph that.

So I have probably 250 or 300 CDs with no labels, no filesystem, and I have to individually insert each DVD and look through all the thumbnails to see what's on it. It's been fun recapturing some memories by revisiting places through the photographs - the Smokies seem to be a firm favorite with their fall colors...

Anyway, I'm about 75 disks into the pile, and as soon as I get to the right disk, I'll post photos.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Howdy!

When I sale something usually using craigslist I take photos of the person and their vehicle along with getting as much information before the sale. If they have a problem with that then the deal is off. The sales (truck and scooter) have been for cash but don't want to have problems with the transfer of title later, and will have as much information to give if needed afterward along with photo's. Seem everyone has a cell phone camera these days even video.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
Old 08-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I think this will be god policy for the future.

I'm just disappointed that this means I'll have to do this when selling things to friends I have known for a year and a half.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...next page....>
Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Sorry to hear of your loss, you normally find people like this end up as the biggest losers as they're the ones that end up wrecking all their friendships, mainly 'cos they're just stupid. I worked with a guy that did something similar to this and then told everyone at work about it, about a year later his wife cleared out his bank account and left him, there wasn't many people with much sympathy when he really needed a friend......
Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'm just confused Dave. In your "Looking for my 'Forever' Airstream" thread you wrote in July 2010 that you were looking for a used Airstream to put new axles on. Except for the last post in August, in that thread, and in previous posts, you don't mention owning an Airstream trailer. Now a month later you wrote that you sold a repaired trailer with new axles to some guy you didn't know for a $500 bad check on an owner financing deal.

Your profile hasn't indicated that you own an Airstream and I'm confused about several elements about your whole theft story from the broken leg, to the check, to the no pictures, to the no license number, to the the lack of a clear VIN#, to the the protection of the name of the thief that you wrote you knew for some time. I've known some crooks but I've never known one who'd do a quality job on a check for $500 to buy a used trailer and then go on the lamb. Now we've got a stolen identity element. The whole story just reads like a comic strip. If it's true, it's something for Ripely's.

The only way to clean this up is to add to the story. I just hope that if you're using forum members to look for a stolen Airstream that there really is a stolen Airstream. I doubt there is. If I'm wrong, I might want to buy the screen rights to the story. I'll pay for em with a cashier's check.

If I were a moderator, I'd lock this thread until I could confirm the facts with some objective confirmations.

Closed Thread