Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Memory foam cures everything.

Wayne&Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:31 AM   #16
2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
2" memory foam here also. Tried 4' and thought it was too cush.

henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:04 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington

All these responses and nobody said the magic word?

IKEA | Mattresses & bed bases | Foam mattresses | SULTAN FURUDAL | Foam mattress

and yes the queen is about 6 inches to long, but foam cuts easy.

We went with sultan forestad w/sultan torsmo.

Forestad is 6" foam, fine with me, but was overruled and had to add 2" torsmo.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Select Comfort Bed

Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort. Awesome!
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:17 AM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
memory foam. I put a 2" memory foam topper from Camping World. You can get on from Wal-mart too but you will have to trim it.
I have slept on my bed for about 550 nights in the last 20 months. I never slept on the bed without the topper.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:22 AM   #20
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We put a memory topper on ours as well. Bought it at Costco and trimmed a few inches off to fit.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 AM   #21
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637

Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
About memory foam.....because it wraps around you a bit more than some other foams, it tends to sleep "hot" for some people. The warmer memory foam gets, the softer it gets. Get it too warm, and the support will be diminished. This is more of a problem with the 3 and 4 pound density memory foam. It's less of a problem with 5 pound density.

Some people have a bit of a hard time adjusting to the "valley effect" of memory foam. They find it harder to roll over in the middle of the night from the "valley" body impression they've made.

Durability: 3 pound density has a life expectancy of about 2 years.
_________4 pound density has a life expectancy of about 5 years.
_________5 pound density has a life expectancy of about 10-12 years.
That is one thing I hate to do is feel like I am being trapped.I hate the valley effect.I do like the smoother bed though.So you are saying that the 5 pounder has more density and would keep me from sinking in and getting that hot feeling.Plus I am a very light sleeper and tend to roll around a couple times.I would want to roll instead of climbing out of a valley.
It just cant get any better than that.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Are there different grades of foam mattresses then? I mean, aside from the different densities?

I recently stayed at a hotel that had the Tempurpedic mattresses. I hated it. I thought the thing was initially too hard and then you sunk down in it, like sleeping on a bag of frozen jello; hard when you first jump on it then you sink down. That's the only experience I have with Tempurpedic other than the little sample kit they sent me when I inquired. Do they make different levels of them?

My bed at home is a King Koil king size, inner spring, with pillow top on both sides. I like it a lot. I'd like to get something similar for the trailer. Just not sure where to look to find a guy who will make one with rounded corners. I saw from the one post above that a guy in Phoenix must do it. I'd like to find somebody closer to home as the shipping on a big mattress would probably be as much as the mattress.

All I know is, the mattresses in my trailer now are horrible!
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member
2016 28' Flying Cloud
2009 30' Classic
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Sussex , New Jersey
Latex Mattress

Originally Posted by cosmotini
The mattress in our '08 A/S is much more comfortable than the one that came in our '04 unit. I believe the new mattress is an innerspring where the old one was just foam over bags of cement.

When we had the old A/S, we bought a memory foam mattress topper from the A/S store that is fitted and stays in place pretty well.

We kept the topper when we got the new A/S and the bed in the new A/S is now very comfortable.
We found the same thing with our '08 Safari. In a previous life with SOB we used a Costco Foam Topper (similar to the Temperpedic - 4" Grade 5) and had the valley effect to the point of needing a crane to get out of bed. Fortunately our new bed sleeps wonderfully. Had it not, we would have considered having a camper queen made by Stearns and Foster out of their latex material but as someone has said, it would have added to the tongue weight (FB) fairly significantly.
Airstream 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:25 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Richmond , Kentucky
I have a bad low back and there is no way I can sleep on memory foam (tried it--waking up crippled is not my cup of tea). I am wondering about the Sleep Number bed, but had an older one at home a while back and wasn't too pleased with it.

Those of you with foam (not memory) mattresses--are they heavy, dense foam where it doesn't give a lot, or do you sink in like memory foam?

"Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?"

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
1974 31' Excella (soon-to-be carhauler)
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 AM   #25
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Our 75 Trade Wind has (I think) the original foam cushions that make into the bed. They are slightly firmer then oak. With the memory topper we do sink a little, but we like it. At home we still sleep in a water bed...

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:47 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Would anyone happen to know if a heated mattress pad could be used on a memory foam topper?
We just put a heated mattress pad under our 1.5 inch memory foam and it's GREAT!!! I'm bad at getting to sleep and also waking up aching somewhere... so I'm pretty impressed with this set-up! (Especially last night at 36 degrees with rain in Asheboro, NC ^_^) I can't stand being COLD!! We do have a pretty sweet pillowtop that the PO had put in I'm sure... bless their hearts.

Toair... we have it on for a good while before bed and then turn it off so the "non-magical" beams leave us alone!

Hope you find your solution! I wouldn't go with the thicker memory foam but the slimmer one works great for us!

Hey!!!! Phil turns 65 today!! We now have another "old geezer" in the pack!

Phil & Edee
“Cats and dogs are magical creatures... just petting one can make both of you live longer!"
Phil/Edee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #27
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Select Comfort, hands down!

We have a Tempur-Pedic adjustable king at the house - sleeps terrible for me unless I raise the head a lot and and the knees a bit, then it turns into a really comfortable sleep. Mary likes her side flat.

We slept on water prior to the adjustable foam and she had reoccuring back problems.

The installation of the Sleep Comfort was one of the best things I did during the rebuild of the '78 Sovereign. As you increase the air pressure, all of a sudden you get to a point where everything relaxes. Her side is set on 60, mine is 85.

Check out this thread: Post #61

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We use sleeping bags.

Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote