Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Marmoleum Flooring

Just finished installing new floor for the Silver Bullet. For anyone interested, Marmoleum is a relatively inexpensive option for covering the plywood on a restoration job. It looks pretty cool too.

Check out http://www.themarmoleumstore.com/

Our trailer came without the carpet or padding... just bare plywood, stained from years of beer spilling. No real damage, so I filled the depressions and used some leftover Marmoleum from a countertop job at a neighbor's house. Had a roll of 20 feet that was 79 inches wide to work with. It was free, so we figured what the hell... Finished most of the job, but we're holding off on the bathroom for a bit.

Will post photos when possible. Tip for the day: Make sure you fill the seams of plywood gaps and fair out the uneven surfaces. I blew it off and did a half-assed sanding job on the line between the sink and the fridge. The seam is clearly visible beneath the new flooring... DOE!!

JF
Old 08-16-2003, 10:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Love it!

We installed Marmoleum 1-1/2 years ago & love it! No problems with cracking or splitting so far

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

We installed Marmoleum too. No probs, looks great!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
marmoleum question-can you glue the marmoleum directly onto the plywood ? I'm trying to understand all the pros and cons of adding anything underneath it. Is luan necessary or not ? Why? What are the pros and cons of adding a sealer to the wood first? (Marine Sealer). What to do ???
Thank you Denise
markdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Luc
2 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Cape Canaveral , Florida
I am ready for new flooring and have the same questions as Denise.
Marmoleum seems like the way to go.
Does anyone have pics of the finished product? That would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Luc
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Marmoleum

I love Marmoleum. Not the easiest thing to install, but it feels very nice under foot and looks spectacular.
Here is a link to the beginning of the Marmo install I did on my '72
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ml#post1151072

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i installed marmoleum and i loved the look. but i dont feel it held up well. Its been 2 years and already has deep scratches the get dirt stuck in them and make it look worse. It is a light colored floor though. (single sheet, not tiles).
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
i installed marmoleum and i loved the look. but i dont feel it held up well. Its been 2 years and already has deep scratches the get dirt stuck in them and make it look worse. It is a light colored floor though. (single sheet, not tiles).
May I ask what is causing the scratches? I've specified Marmoleum for use in high traffic institutional settings and it stands up very well. The flooring in these applications sees daily wear from food and laundry carts as well as heavy foot traffic. Did you finish the floor with an appropriate acrylic wax sealer to protect it?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Update: We originally installed Marmoleum in our first trailer 11+ years ago (see post #2) and liked it so much we did it again in our second and will again in our third.

I too am curious whats scratching it NJtoNC? And would always recommend keeping it cleaned & protected with the appropriate floor finishes.

MarkDenise & Luc, et al: Be careful about "sealing the wood" with polyurethane or porch sealer (i.e. don't!) if you are going to be installing sheet Marmoleum, vinyl or any other glue down products. The glue for the finished floor material may not stick or be incompatable with the wood sealer. One of two things may happen...the glue won't stick or it could chemically react to the sealer and be a mess.

When we had our Marmoleum installed, we did all the prep work ourselves to keep the cost down, but had a professional install the actual product. He said it had to be installed to the clean (uncoated) wood, if we coated the wood with anything he would have to remove it before installing the Marmoleum in order for the product & installation warranties to remain in effect and the glue to penetrate the wood & stick.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
I'm also interested in what scratched it. The dog in my avatar image is a 55-lb Bull Terrier, and while Trudy has done a number on the wood floors at direction-change points (where she has to turn a corner running from one window to another to warn us that the evil mailman is about to put more of that dangerous paper through the mail slot, e.g.) there's no visible impact on the Marmoleum in the kitchen where she does the same thing. If she can't scratch it, it's tough stuff!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ok, I'll bite.. what is a 'marmoleum'? I have researched it to be some 'green stuff'... which may be ok... YMMV...

Just kidding... I think we will look into this for the new 'Longship'...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Ok, I'll bite.. what is a 'marmoleum'? I have researched it to be some 'green stuff'... which may be ok... YMMV...

Just kidding... I think we will look into this for the new 'Longship'...
Marmoleum is a brand of real linoleum. Linoleum is *NOT* sheet vinyl, but your average mouth-breathing realtor will point at a vinyl floor and call it linoleum. It's a green product both because it's not petroleum-based and because if it's properly installed and cared for it can last and look good for decades.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Excellent. It is now on my modlist. Where did u get?
Old 03-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Here is the company web site. You could contact them for a distributer or retailer near your location. Check with your local flooring stores, they may stock it or be able to get it in.

Marmoleum sheet & tile Forbo
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Kewl. Thx
Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Excellent. It is now on my modlist. Where did u get?
I get Marmoleum from Eco-Wise in Austin. A block off of SoCo. Talk to Jim.
There are three or four other places around Austin that handle Forbo Marmoleum.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post

I get Marmoleum from Eco-Wise in Austin. A block off of SoCo. Talk to Jim.
There are three or four other places around Austin that handle Forbo Marmoleum.
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Southwest , New Hampshire
Marmoleum (natural linoleum) was specified by the architect for a High School renovation we did six years ago. Lobbies, corridors, cafeterias......they even specified it for kitchen areas (but I put the ki-bosh on that during design development.....kids dropping knives during culinary training didn't seem like a good idea. I specified good old quarry tile). Anyway, within three years we ripped all the Marmoleum out and replaced with an epoxy based system.

Marmoleum is a nice product, for RESIDENTIAL applications. I'd steer clear for commercial/high traffic. I consider narrow aisles and doorways in an AS as 'high-traffic' areas.

My experience.
shebeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Marmoleum is a brand of real linoleum. Linoleum is *NOT* sheet vinyl, but your average mouth-breathing realtor will point at a vinyl floor and call it linoleum. It's a green product both because it's not petroleum-based and because if it's properly installed and cared for it can last and look good for decades.
Hey, hey, hey. I'm a real estate agent and understand the difference between linoleum and vinyl. Guess I'm not average.

My wife and I have been thinking about doing Marmoleum in our kitchen and have been to a few flooring stores in are area that don't understand what real linoleum is. When I asked them if they carried linoleum they just say the vinyl is linoleum nowadays and just don't get it. Very frustrating.

One of the nicest features of Marmoleum are the wonderful colors available. I'd love to do a deep blue in our waiting to be built International Signature.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Hey, hey, hey. I'm a real estate agent and understand the difference between linoleum and vinyl. Guess I'm not average.

My wife and I have been thinking about doing Marmoleum in our kitchen and have been to a few flooring stores in are area that don't understand what real linoleum is. When I asked them if they carried linoleum they just say the vinyl is linoleum nowadays and just don't get it. Very frustrating.

One of the nicest features of Marmoleum are the wonderful colors available. I'd love to do a deep blue in our waiting to be built International Signature.
I guess you're not average, but clearly your local flooring vendors are.