Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebeen View Post
Marmoleum (natural linoleum) was specified by the architect for a High School renovation we did six years ago. Lobbies, corridors, cafeterias......they even specified it for kitchen areas (but I put the ki-bosh on that during design development.....kids dropping knives during culinary training didn't seem like a good idea. I specified good old quarry tile). Anyway, within three years we ripped all the Marmoleum out and replaced with an epoxy based system.

Marmoleum is a nice product, for RESIDENTIAL applications. I'd steer clear for commercial/high traffic. I consider narrow aisles and doorways in an AS as 'high-traffic' areas.

My experience.
A high school I can see as high-traffic. Maybe if you're hosting marathons through your trailer it's high-traffic, but we don't trudge through the aisle of the Argosy more per month than we do through the kitchen in our house.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Marmoleum, being a true LINOLeum, is made from Linseed Oil. It also smells great when you put it in.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #23
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
One of my sisters sells 'flooring' and other home improvements.. She said "If the underlayment is solid you should have no problems" So, one 'advantage' of the engineered floors is they snap together and spread out the 'load'... at least that's how she explained it to me, her big brother engineer sorta guy.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Engineered floors tend to be thicker and heavier. You'll want to think about whether you want to add that extra weight to your trailer. Marmoleum is available in sheet goods and can be applied directly to your subfloor without adding a great deal of weight.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC
i installed marmoleum and i loved the look. but i dont feel it held up well. Its been 2 years and already has deep scratches the get dirt stuck in them and make it look worse. It is a light colored floor though. (single sheet, not tiles).
May I ask what is causing the scratches? I've specified Marmoleum for use in high traffic institutional settings and it stands up very well. The flooring in these applications sees daily wear from food and laundry carts as well as heavy foot traffic. Did you finish the floor with an appropriate acrylic wax sealer to protect it?
FYI, we absolutely did not seal it. Didn't really know we were supposed to. Scratches mostly from sliding grey plastic "bin" of camping goodies in and out when traveling (bin containing H20 hose, wheel chocks, etc).

I love the look but am afraid to put it in the '57 b/c of the experience we had in the 62...
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
There's the problem. Linoleum is essentially compressed wood flour and linseed oils. It is a resilient flooring, but won't be its most durable without first sealing/waxing it. It does require periodic resealing/waxing. If properly maintained, it'll last a very long time. I regularly see it in hospitals, schools and other institutional facilities where it is still in good condition after 40 years of service. One apartment I lived in had the original lino from the 30's and it was in terrific shape.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
Well, bad news! The price of marmoleum has gone up! We received two quotes for our Safari 19' by 7'. One place wants $ 1,800 and the other $2,300. for the product and installation! Eegads!
markdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdenise View Post
Well, bad news! The price of marmoleum has gone up! We received two quotes for our Safari 19' by 7'. One place wants $ 1,800 and the other $2,300. for the product and installation! Eegads!
It never was cheap. You can put it in more reasonably if you find a floor guy who has some left over from a big job and put it in yourself. My 71 has the livingroom/ galley in hardwood (from a garage sale) and the bedroom in Marmoleum. I did the job for about $200 a few years ago. Ordinary vinyl probably would have been less about half.

By the way I still have a half a gallon of the Forbo adhesive if anyone is interested.

Did you know Marmoleum comes in tiles and sheets? Different adhesives are required.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I didn't use Marmoleum in my trailer, but used the glue-down Marmoleum tiles in my bathroom recently, and the "clic-lock" tiles and planks in our kitchen. We LOVE them both.
I think using sheet-goods would be best in a trailer, especially if you can get a remnant of the proper size. I don't know this for a fact, but I would think that you could just dry-lay it in there, with edge molding to hold it down where the edges were exposed. You can do that with some vinyl sheet goods. Glueing it down may be the preferred way to install it, and requires the use of Forbo adhesive, a clean and absolutely smooth substrate, and a 100 lb. roller in order to fullfill warranty requirements.
Same goes for the 13" by 13" tiles, which MUST be glued down. The stuff is quite easy to cut with a utility knife and straight-edge, and can also be worked with a jigsaw with a fine-toothed blade, or a tablesaw. One problem is that you have to buy it by the box (of about 52 sq. ft., IIRC), so you typically end up with some rather expensive extra stuff.
The "clic-lock" is heavier, thicker, and is not glued down.
I got ours from 2 different on-line sources, after shopping around for the best price (around $3.50 per sq. ft.), the best colors, and the best shipping deals. You can get free shipping sometimes, which saves you a lot. The sources I'd recommend are GreenGoodsProducts.com and GreenBuildingSupply.com. The first is in California, the other in Iowa, I believe. Check out there websites, and any others that come up in a search, and put together the best deal.
As already stated on this thread, Take Your Time on the install (well, not after you've spread the glue!). Completely read all Forbo installation guidelines, follow them, and it will turn out great. They are not technically hard to do as a DIY-er, with the right basic tools and careful layout and pre-fitting/cutting before you spread the glue. Once you spread the glue, and it sets up to the specified tackiness (doesn't take long), you have a limited amount of time to lay down the floor before the glue sets up too much to properly adhere.
Anyway- great product with a great look and feel. Have fun!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I think "dry laying" sheet Marmoleum will probably cause it to crack prematurely. For small jobs a wood block and a hammer will work instead of the roller.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
What an interesting thread!

I'd never heard Marmoleum so had to Google it - mandatory these days isn't it? Like so many things, I see it's a brand name for a proprietary type of Linoleum; the flooring of my childhood. I had no idea that "Lino", as it's known in the UK, was still being manufactured, nor that it was made of natural materials; I had assumed that vinyl was all that was available these days. If I ever get to the point of laying a new floor in our Airstream I shall look up Forbo's Marmoleum as it seems to be an excellent product.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
We really love our marmoleum sheet floor in our 64-22' Safari. It looks and feels good to the touch. Only available in 6' 7" widths. However the tiles look amazingly original if you cut them down from 12x12" to the original 9x9". But that will add $ to the labor bill. We purchased our Marmoleum sheet from Linoleum City in LA. While we were having work done at Area63productions in Orange, CA. the 6.7x25' = 18.28 Yrds. @ 32.95 per yrd = 602.33 plus 1 gal L885 adhesive 44.95 = 647.28, tx 56.64 total 703.92, 1/4" ply underlay optional $$. Installation and seam sealer for a flat lay was 300.00 even. From Raphael Ventura @ New Vision Floors. After 1 year I just followed the instructions and sealed and waxed the thing, and we can't be happier. We have 3 dogs 45 lbs and they do leave little scratch marks at the entry, but this only seems to be in the wax/sealer not the Marmoleum. Very durable and keeps looking good. More photo's on face book, Dennis Blakesley, Photos, Albums, 1964 Air Stream Safari.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8083-2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	180732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9012-2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	180733  

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
What an interesting thread!

I'd never heard Marmoleum so had to Google it - mandatory these days isn't it? Like so many things, I see it's a brand name for a proprietary type of Linoleum; the flooring of my childhood. I had no idea that "Lino", as it's known in the UK, was still being manufactured, nor that it was made of natural materials; I had assumed that vinyl was all that was available these days. If I ever get to the point of laying a new floor in our Airstream I shall look up Forbo's Marmoleum as it seems to be an excellent product.
It's called Lino here as well, but for some reason folks seem to be hung up on brand names. There are other manufacturers, but Farbo is the largest and most well know these days. Armstrong and Tarkett also make it.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #34
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
We have done three compete rebuilds on three trailers a 1968 14' Aloha, 1963 Safari and the latest a 1965 Tradewind. We used Marmoleum on all three projects. We used in on the floor as well as the counter tops. Radiused all of the counter tops up the walls about 4" on all of the projects. What we have found is the surface the Marmoleum must be flat and smooth, it will show any imperfections. Use the correct adhesive. You do have to be careful it does crack and tear easily. To see our rebuild of our Tradewind and in Marmoleum floor and counter tops check out the photo bucket on this post. Dave
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
We considered Marmoleum with a kitchen remodel, and our local flooring store warned us about fading from sunlight--did not try and validate that concern since there was a price issue as well. I would be less concerned about fading in my moho but, if that is true, it would have suggested a replacement when preparing the home for sale so we went with the usual vinyl. Today I would consider one of the sealed cork floors for a nice feel.