Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Pleasant Hill , The Golden State
Making the bed in the corner...Help!

We took delivery of our beautiful new 25 CCD last week. We're excited about getting out there and using it now. We knew the corner bed would be an issue. It is hard to make in the conventinal way (tucking sheets in, etc.).

My wife has some ideas, and wanted me to "check with the experts" to see how people have solved this problem.

Thanks.
wildwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
One Solution.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodrver

My wife has some ideas, and wanted me to "check with the experts" to see how people have solved this problem.

Forum members "MikenLora" bought a 31' Classic.......

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodrver
We knew the corner bed would be an issue. It is hard to make in the conventinal way (tucking sheets in, etc.).
Thanks.
The Corner bed is alot like one of the gouchos in my Tradewind. My mattress is enclosed on 3 sides, plu sit's heavy foam. I tilt it up and pull a fitted sheet over the reear 2 corners. Then I push it in place, flaten things bu hand and attach the front 2 corners. Your mattress is relatively light, simply lift it forward and tuck the sheets in behind it, then push it back and tuck in the front 2 corners. Done.
No issue at all once you get the technique down.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Airstream store sheets

I have 2 sets of the sheets sold at the Airstream store. The top and bottom sheets are attached at the foot and there is some velcro at the foot. Even in my trailer where I can get all the way around the bed (tight), I do most bedmaking from the front with these sheets.

I don't know whether they have a set to fit your particular trailer, but I sure like them.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Duvet and cover

The simpelist thing I've seen is to use a fitted sheet on the mattress and a comforter with a duvet cover on the top - no top sheet. Peridodically pull off the duvet cover and wash it.

To make the bed you have only to fluff and straighten up the top layer with a quick shake. This is the traditional European thing to do and the trick is to have a duvet cover that is made of high thread count "sheet like" material. Change the pattern seasonaly for variety!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Try a Travasak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
The simpelist thing I've seen is to use a fitted sheet on the mattress and a comforter with a duvet cover on the top - no top sheet. Peridodically pull off the duvet cover and wash it.

To make the bed you have only to fluff and straighten up the top layer with a quick shake. This is the traditional European thing to do and the trick is to have a duvet cover that is made of high thread count "sheet like" material. Change the pattern seasonaly for variety!
Wildwoodrver,
Similarly, you can purchase a Travasak at http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...D=3928&src=TSC (shop around on the net for the best price) , which is zippered on both sides, summer and winter sided. Just place this over your mattress pad and you're good to go! The inner lining is a washable sheet, which is velcroed into the sleep system. You just shake it over the bed to fluff it up and there's no need to tuck it in!
It comes in a variety of colors, and looks good with the CCD. We like ours!
Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet

Janet -

I think this is almost exactly the same thing as we do. My wife gets ours from Germany, and we use the same things at home. She also uses form fittng sheets, but as far as the cover, you just shake it a bit to keep its form, and fold it on top of the bed - really easy - even I can do it!

Here at home in the winter - now - we have luxurious, down filled ones on our beds. If we ever camped in the winter, we'd take those with us. The ones we have in our trailer during the summer are lighter weight.

By the way, I looked at your web site - which one in the picture is you?

John
Old 11-10-2004, 07:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
We have a Safari 25SS with a corner bed. It is a real pain to make the bed - especially since the bathroom wall blocks most of another side, and the closet wall blocks half of the foot end. Our solution is to use sleeping bags, with a fitted sheet on the mattress underneath.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:40 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Although we use the duvets at home, another method would be to put a fitted sheet on and then use the silk sleep sacks, with the duvet on top. The silk washes by hand and dries very fast, so there is no bother with having to wash the heavier covers so much. I've done this for months at a time, when travelling. The silk sack weighs ounces. Magellian's catalogue has them as well as other travel catalogues. Duvet covers are available in the US. I have organic cotton 320 count thread and they are WONDERFUL. Check the organic and green bedding sources on the web. Even "The Company Store" carries regular cotton and a range of down comforter weights. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:54 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Here's another vote for the Travasak. It's basically a big sleeping bag with a set of percale sheets velcro'd inside as a liner. When they get dirty, pull them out and pop them in the washer. One size has more insulation than the other and each side is labelled "summer" and "winter". The zippers go all the way down both sides so you can fold the top completely back to get in.

I just place it on top of the Airstream comforter on the mattress and all you have to do to make the bed is straighten it up in the morning and the bed is made.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
My simple solution is to just don't make it.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Janet -
By the way, I looked at your web site - which one in the picture is you?
John
Janet is the one with the long hair.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Pleasant Hill , The Golden State
Thanks all.....my wife ordered a Hacksack! As always, the forum helps with different ideas and one then is able to make an informed decision. (She wouldn't go along with my vote; "why make the bed?")

We are heading out on our maiden voyage Thursday and hope the Hacksack arrives in time. We'll be heading down to Big Sur, after a stop in the Bay Area for our youngest grandchild's big FIRST birthday.

Again, thanks all.
wildwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote