Old 03-28-2004, 02:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Maiden Voyage Down South

Well maybe more like a matron voyage I left the snow and cold of Lapeer Michigan to travel to the warmth and sunshine of Fort Lauderdale, Florida and then across and up to Spring Hill on the Gulf side and over through the panhandle a bit to Panama City Beach. On the way home I also stopped in Wisconsin for a short visit. It was the first trip out in the 2003 Safari purchased in November and my first solo of considerable distance. I drove 3,640 miles and was gone for 28 days, and loved every wonderful moment of it.

Towing was a breeze and the new Reeses Dual Cam along with the unit's shock absorbers made an even better combination than the lighter SOB and friction sway control behind the Expedition. I was pleased to find every appointment for ease and comfort in the well thought out layout and features of nearly every step of my day. You are probably long accustomed to the things I marveled at. No spare tire cover to blow off in the wind, gas tank cover secured and easy access lid, detachable electric cable, water hose connector and built in pressure valve, lighted storage, secure deadbolt door, convenient light switches and handle assist, automatic control and auto duomode refrigerator, electronic ignited burners, fiberglass shower stall with with single control faucet and retractable door, storage galore, width and headroom aplenty and not only functionality but flair. I definitely could spend some serious time out and about and never feel a compromise in amenities on the road.

My problems were few. The metal hinge for the cabinet under the refrigerator came apart on one side and the door was lain open after travel. Closing it snapped the door in place and remained shut until the hinge was put back in order very simply by hubby upon return to home. (I couldn't figure that one out!) Several of the plastic overhead locker hinges either did not hold or did not fold as they should. The bottom tray of the slideout pantry hopped off during transit several times. (may be a weight distribution issue with the way I had things placed.) I think a second step on the Safari would be a good thing. I wonder if it is available? And that was it, and that isn't really anything, is it?

Now on user error we have a bigger score to settle. I did not remember to lower one side of the awning and a sudden downburst caused the awning to burgeon with water which I was fortunate enough to have seen. Releasing one arm immediately corrected the oversight but also gave me the strongest shower of my life! Somewhere, somehow in my travels the trailer to car cord got caught, kinked and minutely sliced exposing but not severing the wires in one place (which we are still wondering how to fix or replace.) Then there was the day I hurriedly slammed the door shut and must have pulled the slider lock along with my hand grip in exiting the trailer and was unpleasantly surprised that reentry was no longer an option. A phone call for the free lockout insurance from Thor and a 45 minute wait remedied that(an extra hidden key will need to be procured for the future.) Everyone was very helpful when learning that I was traveling alone and I only had to correct my hookup and/or disconnect on three separate occassions when my chivalrous helpers were not looking. (which consisted of a guided parking with an angle so acute that the rear car hatch could not be opened or the ball released, a jammed up chain on the weight distributing bars and the jack support not being alligned and resting on the edge)
I also need to practise my backing to become more adept and confident.

So all in all, even for a learning experience I think it went very well and I met many lovely people and saw many wonderful places and things and can hardly wait for my next adventure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nighsafari.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	5523  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 03:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Kewl~

Carol
You ought to think about submitting this picture for.."Picture of the Month"...Either on Airstream home page or, the newest Magazine called Airstream Life..
ciao~

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 05:26 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Carol, 'Glad to hear your 1st trip went so well!
I second 53FC's motion...that photo would even make a nice picture postcard.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Great story, great picture. Submit it. Your picture makes me want to sit out with my Pina Colada and watch the palm trees blowing in the wind. And I am in Florida!

Where was that picture taken?

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I second Sneakinup's motion. Fantasic photo, should be submitted. If I was A/S, I would use that one in my next catalog.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
thanks

and maybe I will try e-mailing a picture. It couldn't hurt to try. I'm pleased you liked it. And also thanks for the heads up on the new magazine. It looks like subscription rates are reduced before the end of March--that'd be today! Ooops. I can hardly wait.

http://www.airstreamlife.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Carol
You ought to think about submitting this picture for.."Picture of the Month"...Either on Airstream home page or, the newest Magazine called Airstream Life..
ciao~

photography
Old 03-29-2004, 01:38 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Picture

Carol just curious, what campground were you in when you took the picture? Looks like a place I wouldn't mind stopping at some time.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
post card

Thanks Mark. I may just have to try making my first post card. I have a new little Canon printer for the Airstream, good project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE
Carol, 'Glad to hear your 1st trip went so well!
I second 53FC's motion...that photo would even make a nice picture postcard.

photography
Old 03-29-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Ecrvbr

gave out #1 keychains with these letters. I had a hard time myself figuring it out. Emerald Coast RV Beach Resort the highest rated park in Woodalls and Trailerlife. It was very nice and the people were great. I would definitely stay there again. (Do be aware though it is next door to a zoo, you should have seen the looks on our faces when my dog and I first heard the night noises!)

http://www.rvresort.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Carol just curious, what campground were you in when you took the picture? Looks like a place I wouldn't mind stopping at some time.

Jack

photography
Old 03-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
got one for me

I like your style! Mmmm pina coladas. Where are you in Florida? The picture was taken in Panama City Beach at Emerald Coast RV Park. Believe it or not I must have taken 30 pictures of the palm trees, palm trees at sunrise, palmtrees in the wind, palm trees in the rain, palm trees at night. LOL palmtrees and pelicans are a new sight for me. By the way do you know any good places to stay around Fort Lauderdale or the Keys? And what to be sure to look for in the area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup
Great story, great picture. Submit it. Your picture makes me want to sit out with my Pina Colada and watch the palm trees blowing in the wind. And I am in Florida!

Where was that picture taken?

photography
Old 03-29-2004, 02:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
thanks Pick

what a very nice compliment. Now if I had some real talent I would have to ask you to be my promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I second Sneakinup's motion. Fantasic photo, should be submitted. If I was A/S, I would use that one in my next catalog.

photography