Old 08-06-2003, 07:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Made a visit to the new AR dealer

Hello all,

We dropped by the new Airstream dealer in Searcy, AR yesterday.
They are still teething, but may have a future.

I have been looking at the floorplans on the AS website, but I really needed to see some in person. We were impressed with the Airstream products. A little (actually a lot) pricey though.

I really don't know if we will try to buy new or go the used route.
But thanks to the visit, we have weeded out the one that I thought would be our first pick, the Safari 25C. We both liked the 25B better. Kind of puzzled about how to best deal with the boys. I was surprised that there isn't a fold down child sleeper above the couch. I used to sleep in something like that in a SOB when I was young. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
FlynG

Old 08-06-2003, 11:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Why did you prefer the 25B to the 25C ?

We 'think' our favorite is the CCD 25, which has the same floorplan as the 25C - of course we've never seen one in captivity

-Bert

Old 08-07-2003, 04:06 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Smile

Hello all,

We or I thought that having the 6 sleeper would be the way to go. After we saw it, neither one of us really liked the layout. It just seemed too cramped in the 25 and she really doesn't like the corner bed. My wife would really like to look at the 28s. I want to keep it smaller. My preference would be the 22 but I don't want the wet bath with 2 boys and the corner bed issue again. I really like the 22 AS interior. I wish that it was being made in the 25 footer. We both like the 25b though. It seemed to be a good compromise for us.

FlynG
Old 08-07-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Made a visit to the new AR dealer

Quote:
Originally posted by FlynG
I was surprised that there isn't a fold down child sleeper above the couch. I used to sleep in something like that in a SOB when I was young. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
FlynG
It seems that the last unit I heard of from Airstream (travel trailer-new) was the '02 Bambi. Not sure if any others had it since I was not looking at larger than a 19 footer....then....

A lot of SOBs still have them, but they too are becoming fewer. Not sure if it is an insurance thing or what.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 04:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy

I too spent today at an Airstream dealer including 2hrs on the road each way. My impressions are less than favorable!! While they still are beautiful trailers, the quality control of the 9 different units I looked at are not what I thought would be representetive of the Airstream name. I'm not going to list all the petty faults here as there were many and never having owned an Airstream my self, yet, I may be expecting to much. I also do not want to offend any owners here on this forum. But for what they cost and wearing the Airstream name, shouldn't I expect the best? Hard to believe the units I looked at were worthy of the Airstream name.
Andre
Old 08-07-2003, 06:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Hello again,

I can understand your what you are saying about price vs quality. I would cetainly expect very high QC for the MSRPs that I was seeing. On the other hand, manufacturing is manufacturing. I have been in on the delivery process with brand new and newly refurbished multi-million dollar aircraft and have seen squawk lists pages long.

I have had the use of a near new SOB MH for the past couple of summers. Every time we take it out, we are fixing it before or after the trip. Just little piddly things IE: the bath vent crank cracked and broke in two pieces. Even still it is the best RV out there, It didn't cost me a penny! I'm afraid my folks aren't going to summer in AK next year though. So I'm in search mode for something for my small family and budget.

Our purpose was to gather info and try and figure out what we need vs want. We had a good time looking and thinking about the future. I can tell you that the aluminum construction is a big plus to me. I look forward to learning much, much, more from this forum.

FlynG
Old 08-07-2003, 07:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

If manufacturing is manufacturing, why is it my two Toyotas have never been in the shop for repairs? One with 170,000 miles and the other with 101,000. My "new" BMW has been in the shop 6 times since January for annoying warranty issues. My 94' RX7 only visited the shop once and that was years ago. The point is products can be built to high standards, the japs do it all the time. Why can't we Americans? I'll probably be banned for saying this, but if the Japs built Airstreams we would for sure have better built trailers and for probably less money. But then it would cease to be an American icon. Manufacturing is only as good as what the person doing the manufacturing is willing to put in to it. Look, the only thing I know about Airstreams is that I've always wanted one since I was a kid. Now I'm to the point to where I can afford one and after looking at 9 new ones in one day, I know one more thing about Airstreams, I don't want a new one anymore. The interior on my brothers 28' SOB is on equal with what I saw today and he paid a fraction of the price. Granted his is ugly and may not be here in 20 years but he enjoys it. It's not me though. I'ts Airstream for me (not a new one) or nothing!!
Andre
Old 08-07-2003, 08:28 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Quality Control

Dear RACRX,
I totally hear your concerns about Airstreams quality. I'm sure that when Wally Byam was alive he made damn sure the products airstream produced (Manufactured) were Quality with a capital Q. It deeply saddens me that an american icon is really dead. I truly believe that this is the case- I have witnessed the less than acceptable quality of many units first hand.
I'm in a different position than you however in that I can't afford the capital needed to buy an vintage unit but I can afford the payments on a new unit. I can't remember a time that I didn't want an Airstream but now I'm delaying purchasing one because I'm so sad that the new units are so poorly made (and poorly designed).
As a purist it saddens me that I would HAVE to make so many modifications to a new unit that really are just fixing it to useable and an acceptable quality and that really should be done properly in the factory.
In addition I think that current floorplans of Airstreams are pathetic. The company uses the space so poorly and seems to have no concern for small space design. This is proven by the fact that the vintage units have more storage per foot than the new units. Not to mention that the interiors are ugly.
Please post again,
I'd love to talk to you more about this,
roadtripjunkie
Old 08-07-2003, 08:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Floor Plans

Roadtrip, got any ideas for a better floor plan? We would love to see your ideas.

I have a 1972 that has a Beatrice Foods plaque on it. Supposed to be made during the time when things started to go down hill. However, I do not really have any big complaints or problems with our unit. I do not have to work on it after every trip. Sure there is lots left to do, but it is age related, not poor design or inferior materiels.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Hey roadtrip,

Up untill my own road trip this morning I thought a new one would be the fastest and, for the moment, most practical way to becoming an Airstreamer. But thats all changed now. I'm not about to part with my hard earned money (I'm blue collar he he) for the trailers I saw today!! No way no how. I pay big bucks for something I expect top quality, no excuses, no exceptions period. Another member of this forum was kind enough to invite me over to his house, (45 minutes from me), to check out a restoration he has in progress. I can't wait to see it and ask questions and if it's not to involved maybe try one myself. I just finnished a 3 year resto on an all original 68'Z/28 earlier this summer so I have some experience with resto's. Plus the fact that I've worked on cars for most of my life might help. You can see the Camaro here, so we'll see I guess.
Andrehttp://community.webshots.com/album/69083816LiKpsw
Old 08-07-2003, 09:52 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

RACRX,

I wish you well on your quest for silver enlightnment. Be sure to mark the trail, I may be following along behind.

I was a little dissapointed in some of what we saw too. But , not totally put off like you. As I mentioned, it was mainly an info gathering trip for us. I had never seen the inside of an Airstream before. I am puzzled by the lack of sleep space in the current floor plans. Do people not take their kids with them anymore? Perhaps, the older units deserve a closer look.

FlynG
Old 08-11-2003, 07:59 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Aristream quality

I am curious about some of the statements concerning the quality of the newer Airstreams. Could someone list some specific concerns? I had my first visit to a dealer this weekend to check out new Airstreams and I was blown away. What am I missing?
Old 08-11-2003, 05:14 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I sent you a PM. Hope it explains.
Ciao
Andre
Old 08-11-2003, 06:01 PM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We were ready to plunk down big cash for a 25CCD, but reconsidered after looking the unit over closely. Thing is - they can get away with it. All the units we looked at a few weeks ago have since sold. Not to us, though - we're keeping our 1971.
I admire Airstream for their history, and forward interiors on the CCD models, but have to agree with some of the posts about poor fit and finish. The stuff we noticed after spending 30minutes inside was simply insulting to me.