Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2003, 05:13 PM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by uwe
Sawdust in dinette cushions
radio inop
some interior lights inop
Sawdust seems to be a very common problem. Another identical Intl AS and I both had sawdust on the counter by the sink after every trip. In my case, for nearly a year. On the black counter of the AS, it is pretty hard to miss.

My unit also had a leak at the stove vent. It rained the day I bought the trailer and when I went back out to look at it again, I saw drops of water on the counter. That was fixed before delivery.

The radio and lights could be something as simple as a blown or poorly seated fuse or a popped CB; however, a good dealer should do a check on newly arrived units and make sure everything worked before showing the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:25 PM   #22
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
John,

My feelings exactly, about teh dealer perhaps running through the trailers and makig sure that they are presentable.
Thet promised to fix all the problems, but i simly don't think it's possible in all instances.
It's just disappointing that Airstream is going the way of SOB trailers in the fit and finish category.
I guess we could go back and inspect the next batch, see if they are nicer...
Old 08-12-2003, 05:37 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Sibyrnes, I Pm'd you but maybe you didn't see it. So here's an excerpt of a post I made on another Airstream forum.
Andre

Quote:
I spent most of today on the road going to and returning from an Airstream dealer to check out the new models. The owner of the place was very nice and let me roam his lot unattended. He told me to just look at all I wanted and come to him if I had any questions. I spent almost 3hrs going through all the different models and spent alot of time in each really checking out fit and finnish. I must say I was very dissapointed. Here's some of what I saw. Cabinet doors not aligned with each other with one opposing pair that could not be closed at the same time, one or the other. Crooked electrical wall outlets. Laminate glue residue left all over the place. A front sofa storage bin that slid all the way out on one side and almost could not get it back in. I looked at two slide-out models in their stowed position and found that the top corners did not fit nicely into their recessed area, although I must say that the gasket sealing system for the slider was very impresive looking. Screws not all the way in or crooked. Front window gasket on one unit had already started to shrink and pull away from the corners leaving gaps for moisture to get in. Windows that were stuck and could not open for fear of breaking. Plastic latches on the shower doors and entrance screen door that I was afraid to touch for fear of them breaking in my hand. An uneven wood floor seam that could be seen in the surface of the vinyl flooring.
RACRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Not happy about the new Airstream news but I feel better about shelling out the big bucks to restore my 71 to "like new" condition.
Will have close to $15K over two years including the cost of the AS. when I'm completed and it will be "like new" 1971 condition with lots of years left to go.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:46 PM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Windows that were stuck and could not open for fear of breaking.
You're right, it is scary to have to push the window that hard to get it to release. I finally found that I could bump the latches and get them loose. The window sticking problem is very easily solved by simply brushing some silicone on the gaskets (and this is a maintenance item according to the manual).

Question: why doesn't Airstream treat the gaskets rather than deliver the units with the windows stuck fast?
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 05:45 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Problems

Well, you guys have certainly answered my question, thanks. I'm sorry to hear of all the problems and I hope they are no too wide spread. It does kind of make my 1969 Globetrotter even more valuable to me!
sibyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:28 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
I love my Airstream and am on my third one now, and it is still the best travel trailer made. That said Airstream needs to address there fit and finish issues as well as there treatment of customer complaints after the warranty is over. The sawdust comming out for the first six months to a year, pop rivet nails which appear after driving down the road, screws which fall out because they were overtightened at the factory.
My major complaint was the skylight comming off and when inspecting the method of installation was #8 sheetmetal screws. I stll have the screws which the factory used and each one appears to have a piece of the skylight still attached to it. The reply from Airstream was "The trailer is out of warranty". Yes it was it was 6 years old at the time, but have found this problem on many trailers since and shown the owners how to repair there trailers. I consider this a safety item which Airstream needs to address.
Overall the trailer has been a good trailer and now that I have repaired the fit and finish items and the skylights I feel I have a good trailer that handles well. It now has 48,000 miles on it and looks great and is holding up well.
Before I retired I was an engineer at Dodge Truck, in the vehicle development group for the last 14 years. We did all the trailer tow development and final sign off on GCWR numbers. For this we did a lot of trailer tow testing each year and rented trailers for this work. We always specified square flat front trailers. Of the many different trailers we rented some were new but most all were stick builds, and after the testing I would always inspect them for dammage prior to returning them to the dealer. It was not unusual to find interior doors and cabinet doors had fallen off and doors which would not stay closed. Had many problems where spring hangers would break off the frame rail and we would have to reweld to complete the testing. So I while I have had problems with the Airstream I still consider them the best.
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote