Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Lumin' in Alivanum...

Well folks, I'm having a life changing moment here. Looks like I'm going to be saying "Goodbye!" to RV Sales and "Hello again sweetie! How have you been?" to the armed forces. No, not the Navy again. I've decided this time to become a Puddle Pirate. That's Coast Guard in case you didn't know. They're going to let me in with the same rank and job as I had in the Navy and I'll be shipping out to a "Mini 4-week Bootcamp" at the end of October. No, I'm not letting any grass grow under my feet.

After my Mini Bootcamp, I'll be sent to my permanant duty station. Here's the kicker. I'll get to live in my Airstream while wifeypoo sells the house and meets up with me. I have no idea where I'll be sent yet, but I sure am glad I decided to keep the Toastah. If I didn't, I'd either have to stay in a barracks, or onboard the boat! I also found out that the Coast Guard might not have a barracks available, and normally under those circumstances, I'd have to rent an appartment. I'd be up the creek trying to do that AND pay the house payment! The Airstream is turning out to be a savior!

Anyway, wish me luck you finest of friends as I venture forth into my new life. The uncertainty of a sales career in a shaky economy is about to be replaced by a steady paycheck with free medical. I'm not saying goodbye, as I intend to keep my Airstream and actually plan on having more time to use it. What I am saying is If you bought something from me, STOP CALLING! Ha Ha!

This is "The Dull Darned Salesman" signing off....and "Electronics Technician Second Class, USCG" signing on. Thank you and good night.

PS.- I've only got 14 years to retirement! How many 28 year olds can say that!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Good luck on your new (again) adventure. Stay safe, stay in touch and don't forget to polish.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Smooth sailing and take advantage of the USCG campgrounds. You should also be eligible for the DOD campgrounds.
After retirement, consider a follow on Federal Government job for another steady paycheck and good benefits.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Good luck on your new career. I am from a family of sailors. I did 4 yrs in the Navy as did two of my brothers and another brother was in the Coast Guard. Glad you are able to use your Airstream.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Best of luck with the new career. The Coast Guard has done a great job in the gulf coast. I was 4 years USAF myself. Mybe someone could fire up a pole to see how many vets we have out here....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Deah Puddle Pirate

If you get sent to Norfolk, Look me up. I can give you the ins and outs of most local campgrounds.

Is it true you have to be over 6' tall to serve in the Coast Guard? Cause you never go into water deeper than 5' deep and they want you to be able to wade ashore?

The Coast Guard is a really good service - it's small size means you are far less likely to be "just a number" and that your contribution will be vital to whatever ship or command you serve in. Good luck in your new career.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Coast Guard seems like a good career choice for a land yacht......... Good luck

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Thank you guys for your support. I'm not sure at all yet where I will go, but my recruiter assures me (yeah right) that I'll know before I go. One of my fellow salesmen says I should go to the station in the U.P. because he goes ice fishing there every year and would love to have a place to stay! Some respect I get! I told my recruiter I'd prefer someplace warm, but if they do send me to Alaska or some other frigid place, all I can say is that it's a darned good thing I bought an Airstream with 4-season capability! Thanks again guys.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 10-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Good luck in your new adventures and enhanced security. Maybe we'll see you on one of the Great Lakes! (hopefully a summertime duty)
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
I'll be shipping out to a "Mini 4-week Bootcamp" at the end of October. No, I'm not letting any grass grow under my feet.

After my Mini Bootcamp, I'll be sent to my permanant duty station. Anyway, wish me luck you finest of friends as I venture forth into my new life.
This is "The Dull Darned Salesman" signing off....and "Electronics Technician Second Class, USCG" signing on. Thank you and good night.
Congratulations on your "renewed" carreer. Now, if you get assigned to Tampa/ St. Petersburg, and I go back to one of my old careers, I may meet you on board a ship if you ever do an inspection. I promise not to push you overboard...at least if anyone's looking...
BTW, when is your last day at your current job? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I'm not sure yet. All I know is I'm leaving at the end of this month sometime. What'd you do in FL? Run Drugs? Ha Ha. J/K. I have an aunt in Tampa and I love the area. Especially Ybor City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Congratulations on your "renewed" carreer. Now, if you get assigned to Tampa/ St. Petersburg, and I go back to one of my old careers, I may meet you on board a ship if you ever do an inspection. I promise not to push you overboard...at least if anyone's looking...
BTW, when is your last day at your current job? Enquiring minds want to know.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 10-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I'm not sure yet. All I know is I'm leaving at the end of this month sometime. What'd you do in FL? Run Drugs? Ha Ha. J/K. I have an aunt in Tampa and I love the area. Especially Ybor City.
Without getting too technical, I used to do contract work for the Port of Tampa, crewing disabled ships so they could be safely towed into port for repair. There is more of a call for this than you may think.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:18 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Hey! I might have the only Submarine in the Coast Guard!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 10-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Hey! I might have the only Submarine in the Coast Guard!
Just don't forget to install ballast tanks, or you first submarine voyage may be your last....
Old 10-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Remember, they issue kevlar helmets and floatation gear with kevlar in it for a reason. While you probably won't end up in the mid-east in the Coast Guard, they have their own fair share of problems in the Caribbean and along the coast of Baja... keep your head down and your powder dry!

Maybe you'll luck out and get stationed at the LORAN station in Attu! It could ALWAYS be worse... you could get the LORAN station in Middletown, CA!!!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Welcome to my Service

Retired from the Coast Guard in 1997 after 20 years. Loved every minute and would have stayed except they gave me a set of orders right after my wife's business became successful...

"Mini Boot Camp" is more like charm school. They will update your shots, issue you new uniforms, send you to the history and seamanship classes etc. etc. You may have to go to PE but none of the other boot camp fun and games.

Highly recommended stations: Group Key West, Station Port St Lucie, Station Ft Myers, Airsta Sacramento. Any unit in Hawaii (yeah, you'll have to park the Airstream but worth it). Lots of people love Kodiak Alaska but they probably won't give you the three weeks of travel time it would take to get there with your rig.

Avoid any 210' Cutter -- old and falling apart...

Good Luck

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
P.s.

P.S. - If asked, remember that: "The Coast Guard is that hard nucleus about which the Navy forms in time of war."
Old 10-13-2005, 06:55 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
Retired from the Coast Guard in 1997 after 20 years. Loved every minute and would have stayed except they gave me a set of orders right after my wife's business became successful...

"Mini Boot Camp" is more like charm school. They will update your shots, issue you new uniforms, send you to the history and seamanship classes etc. etc. You may have to go to PE but none of the other boot camp fun and games.

Highly recommended stations: Group Key West, Station Port St Lucie, Station Ft Myers, Airsta Sacramento. Any unit in Hawaii (yeah, you'll have to park the Airstream but worth it). Lots of people love Kodiak Alaska but they probably won't give you the three weeks of travel time it would take to get there with your rig.

Avoid any 210' Cutter -- old and falling apart...

Good Luck

Mike
Hey! Thanks for all the info. I just had a customer the other day who did four years and he too said he loved every minute of it. I go this monday (17th) to meet my recruiters face to face for the first time. They need all my school certs from the Navy and I have some paperwork to fill out. I'm going to also make sure I find out that I'm getting E-5 for sure and possibly where I may be going. I also need to find out where the "Charm School" is. I'd really like to get somewhere like the Carolinas....Close to home, but not too close....Not so bad in the winter either. I'm tired of all the @#$#$ snow! I've also got a best buddy from the Navy in NC.

I'll let you guys know when I get it all figured out. When I move into your area, I'll expect to know when the local rallies are and I'll prolly be looking for a good campground immediately.

-The plural form of Y'all is......ALL Y'all.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 10-13-2005, 07:29 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Cool

If you get stationed to the center in Fort Myers, or the one in St. Petersburg, holler. Fort Myers is only about 20 minutes from me.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Charm School

Actually, as of when I retired, all the "prior service" folks went to Cape May, New Jersey for charm school. Not a terrible place, kind of grey all winter. Food was actually pretty decent for military chow.

Town is very touristy in summer. Dead in winter. But, if they give you liberty, Atlantic City is right up the road.

By the way, what's your rate?

mike