Old 10-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Remember, they issue kevlar helmets and floatation gear with kevlar in it for a reason. While you probably won't end up in the mid-east in the Coast Guard, they have their own fair share of problems in the Caribbean and along the coast of Baja... keep your head down and your powder dry!

Maybe you'll luck out and get stationed at the LORAN station in Attu! It could ALWAYS be worse... you could get the LORAN station in Middletown, CA!!!

Roger

Old 10-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Welcome to my Service

Retired from the Coast Guard in 1997 after 20 years. Loved every minute and would have stayed except they gave me a set of orders right after my wife's business became successful...

"Mini Boot Camp" is more like charm school. They will update your shots, issue you new uniforms, send you to the history and seamanship classes etc. etc. You may have to go to PE but none of the other boot camp fun and games.

Highly recommended stations: Group Key West, Station Port St Lucie, Station Ft Myers, Airsta Sacramento. Any unit in Hawaii (yeah, you'll have to park the Airstream but worth it). Lots of people love Kodiak Alaska but they probably won't give you the three weeks of travel time it would take to get there with your rig.

Avoid any 210' Cutter -- old and falling apart...

Good Luck

Mike

Old 10-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
P.s.

P.S. - If asked, remember that: "The Coast Guard is that hard nucleus about which the Navy forms in time of war."
Old 10-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
Retired from the Coast Guard in 1997 after 20 years. Loved every minute and would have stayed except they gave me a set of orders right after my wife's business became successful...

"Mini Boot Camp" is more like charm school. They will update your shots, issue you new uniforms, send you to the history and seamanship classes etc. etc. You may have to go to PE but none of the other boot camp fun and games.

Highly recommended stations: Group Key West, Station Port St Lucie, Station Ft Myers, Airsta Sacramento. Any unit in Hawaii (yeah, you'll have to park the Airstream but worth it). Lots of people love Kodiak Alaska but they probably won't give you the three weeks of travel time it would take to get there with your rig.

Avoid any 210' Cutter -- old and falling apart...

Good Luck

Mike
Hey! Thanks for all the info. I just had a customer the other day who did four years and he too said he loved every minute of it. I go this monday (17th) to meet my recruiters face to face for the first time. They need all my school certs from the Navy and I have some paperwork to fill out. I'm going to also make sure I find out that I'm getting E-5 for sure and possibly where I may be going. I also need to find out where the "Charm School" is. I'd really like to get somewhere like the Carolinas....Close to home, but not too close....Not so bad in the winter either. I'm tired of all the @#$#$ snow! I've also got a best buddy from the Navy in NC.

I'll let you guys know when I get it all figured out. When I move into your area, I'll expect to know when the local rallies are and I'll prolly be looking for a good campground immediately.

-The plural form of Y'all is......ALL Y'all.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:29 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Cool

If you get stationed to the center in Fort Myers, or the one in St. Petersburg, holler. Fort Myers is only about 20 minutes from me.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Charm School

Actually, as of when I retired, all the "prior service" folks went to Cape May, New Jersey for charm school. Not a terrible place, kind of grey all winter. Food was actually pretty decent for military chow.

Town is very touristy in summer. Dead in winter. But, if they give you liberty, Atlantic City is right up the road.

By the way, what's your rate?

mike
Old 10-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
Actually, as of when I retired, all the "prior service" folks went to Cape May, New Jersey for charm school. Not a terrible place, kind of grey all winter. Food was actually pretty decent for military chow.

Town is very touristy in summer. Dead in winter. But, if they give you liberty, Atlantic City is right up the road.

By the way, what's your rate?

mike
Funny you should ask. I was an FC2 in the Navy which WAS an FT2 in the Coast Guard...which is NOW ET2. There was a lot of "merging" going on in the Navy when I left there as well.

I've been to Earl, New Jersey for ammunition onloads and offloads in the Navy. Anything like that? Earl was a very depressing place to visit. People stationed there though loved it. Of course you literally had to walk a mile down one pier to another pier where you had to walk another mile back out to a small shack just to smoke a ciggarette. By the time you got back, you wanted another! The Navy really did take safety to the extreme. I quit smokin' though. Now I've just got to lose the 30lbs I gained!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 10-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Well Rivetedude,

That sounds so exciting to make such a change in career and location. I'll miss dropping by the dealership to see you when I visit Jackson Center next. Keep us posted. The Coast Guard is really cooool! You don't happen to get seasick, do you?! Congratulations and smooth sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
Well folks, I'm having a life changing moment here. Looks like I'm going to be saying "Goodbye!" to RV Sales and "Hello again sweetie! How have you been?" to the armed forces. No, not the Navy again. I've decided this time to become a Puddle Pirate. That's Coast Guard in case you didn't know. They're going to let me in with the same rank and job as I had in the Navy and I'll be shipping out to a "Mini 4-week Bootcamp" at the end of October. No, I'm not letting any grass grow under my feet.

After my Mini Bootcamp, I'll be sent to my permanant duty station. Here's the kicker. I'll get to live in my Airstream while wifeypoo sells the house and meets up with me. I have no idea where I'll be sent yet, but I sure am glad I decided to keep the Toastah. If I didn't, I'd either have to stay in a barracks, or onboard the boat! I also found out that the Coast Guard might not have a barracks available, and normally under those circumstances, I'd have to rent an appartment. I'd be up the creek trying to do that AND pay the house payment! The Airstream is turning out to be a savior!

Anyway, wish me luck you finest of friends as I venture forth into my new life. The uncertainty of a sales career in a shaky economy is about to be replaced by a steady paycheck with free medical. I'm not saying goodbye, as I intend to keep my Airstream and actually plan on having more time to use it. What I am saying is If you bought something from me, STOP CALLING! Ha Ha!

This is "The Dull Darned Salesman" signing off....and "Electronics Technician Second Class, USCG" signing on. Thank you and good night.

PS.- I've only got 14 years to retirement! How many 28 year olds can say that!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:50 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
You don't happen to get seasick, do you?!
Naw...I did 6 years in the Navy from '95-'01. Should be ok.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 10-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Coast Guard and Airstreams

We just went to Ludington and took the AS over to Manitowac Wisconsin and on and around some of the "lakes." Over our shoulder from the ferrry at the dock we saw this tucked away in the back of the parking lot. We were in the Navy. Great Lakes IL,, Bainbridge MD, and Norfolk, Va, on shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
Naw...I did 6 years in the Navy from '95-'01. Should be ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coastguard.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	15196  

photography
Old 10-16-2005, 11:11 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Hey is that?.....What.....Yes!....It is!.....It's ME! (In a couple months)

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I leave for sure on January 5th. I drove all the way to Columbus (200 miles round trip @ 12 mpg) to learn January 5th...oh...and get a stack of papers to take home and sign. Jeez! They're killin' me!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Just figured I'd give you folks an update. I went yesterday to MEPS and got inspected, detected, injected, infected, and neglected. Suprisingly enough, they found ME physically fit enough to join the Coast Guard! I passed my weight requirement litterally by a single pound!

My bride is sitting in a meeting as I speak with our realitor getting the numbers straight to list our house. If we get it sold right away, I may not have the luxury of Lumin' in Alivinum for very long as the title of this thread suggests.

Either way, the Knowns are that I'm going to Cape May, NJ on January 5th for a 4-week "Charm School" and I'm physically and mentally qualified to join the Coast Guard. The Unknowns are:

1. Am I getting E-5? Recruiter says everything looks great to retain E-5 but they may want me to take ET 'A' school anyway.

2. Where am I going after Joysey? Still don't have a clue on that one, but I should have 2 or 3 choices BEFORE I leave. I will chime in and let you know. If I'm in your area, I'll expect replies as to where the good spots are to camp while I seek a permanent domicile.

Thanks all!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Are THEY ever missing the boat!

They should be sending you out as an entertainer for the troops.
At least Santa will know what chimney to slide down to find you this year. Have some great holidays and do continue to keep us posted.

Oh...shouldn't you be changing your signature to "The Travelin' Salesman?"

photography