Old 06-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #85
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I've been using and running forums since 1999. I ran my own car forum for 6 1/2yrs using vBulletin software. First hr3rdgen.org then we became hrfbody.com - And I've been on dozens of forums, mostly car forums. Every community has it's own personality.

Thread drift is pretty common in tighter community forums and shouldn't be confused with thread hijacking. Threads often evolve as a problem is being solved thru discussion in the thread.

Thread hijacking, is to me the most annoying and asinine noncontributory pet peeve of mine in the forum landscape. Such an example, entering my thread when I was upgrading to 16 inch wheels and having a 3 PAGE DISCUSSION on my use of the word RIM in the thread title and basically telling me I'm an idiot for not saying WHEEL. (end rant)

It added nothing. It was off topic to the original post, and it's the one trend on this forum I see repeated more than trolling. I see it in tire discussions and in the towing section. Someone asks a questions, then 5 pages discussion the proper use of XYZ term. Never returning to solve the OP's question.

Most of the trolls seem confined to the Towing section where they hang out with the know-it-alls'.

I freely admit I'm not perfect with grammar. I type how I would talk. One thing I try to do here, is use the Bold, Italic and Underline to add appropriate emphasis where necessarily when posting. Also I find using the smilies can help relate if you are joking playfully versus being a jerk. At least I would hope that would be the others interpretation.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very nice, Ag&Au.

And, as a community of people from various walks of life.....many of us having been here for years....it is good once in awhile to hear what others think and feel, and why, because many of us care about many others here.

Maggie

Old 06-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"Also, some of us find the search function very, very difficult to use effectively. Just so y'all know."

Maggie,

Just what I do....

Go to the google on your desktop...NOT the link above.
Type in "Airforums", then the subject your researching, if your looking for a specific post and know their handle add that also.

Example.....

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...C+Robert+Cross

Bob
This is an excellent tip. Thank you.

Who knew?

Maggie
Old 06-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This is an excellent tip. Thank you.

Who knew?

Maggie
if you put "site:airforums.com trolling, Robert Cross" it will confine the results to only that specific site...

like this
Old 06-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #89
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
"Dear Lord, please help my words be sweet and tender, for one day I may have to eat them.." CWF
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #90
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post

-------------------------------------------------------------

I freely admit I'm not perfect with grammar. I type how I would talk. One thing I try to do here, is use the Bold, Italic and Underline to add appropriate emphasis where necessarily when posting. Also I find using the smilies can help relate if you are joking playfully versus being a jerk. At least I would hope that would be the others interpretation.
I try to post in the same manner. However I can't decide on the smilie (sp?) to use when I am actually trying to be a jerk. What would others suggest?

Ken
Old 06-29-2015, 01:08 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
SOME threads NEED a good hijackin'.

#JustSayin.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #92
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I didn't know responding to a thread with "I don't know, someone will" was such a terrible problem. I always read those posts as a courtesy bump to keep the thread near the top of the list so it could be more easily found by someone who might be able to help. I have now been "educated" otherwise. So, is there a particular method that should be used or should the thread be left to atrophy of its own accord if not answered immediately?

My error if this is off topic and trolling or hijacking
Old 06-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Hi jack threads or not this Forum and its members have given be an abundance of advise and help when I have needed it over the last few years. To all of you I say thank you.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Bump!
Old 06-29-2015, 02:08 PM   #95
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Bump!
How is 'bump' any different content-wise? Less words is better than an encouraging word or two? I like Maggie's implied kindness, we all could use more.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Premiere Flatus of the AirForum Flatulent Prima Donnas

Yes, I am the guilty Troll.

Many of the Threads have no purpose and obviously for someone who has just mowed his lawn and weed whacked, I am personally tired of trolling for clogs and blogs in the Forum's plumbing.

Troll (Webster's pocket dictionary): sing in a full hearty voice, fish with a moving lure, to roll turn, mythical cave dweller.

If some are so thin skinned, egotistical and have a know it all attitude, as myself... I and others like myself should be banned from the Airforum Thread. I would volunteer to be the FIRST Airforum Troll Ejectus. FATE. I will accept the punishment as an honor to Trolls everywhere and in any language.

Some say "stick it in your eye" and that is for minor infractions.

For Airforum Trolls, there should be no cover, no place to hide under phony names, or egregious despicable warped sense of humor that belongs on any Forum but not on one as sophisticated as this.

Please, among the Premiere Flatus of the Flatulent Prima Donnas on this Forum. Cast your vote. I ask no mercy. It would be a relief. No longer will humor and common sense be found on the Airforum Threads. There are better places to be participating, with or without a fake name for pompous posts of content.

Oops... sorry. I thought this was the Thread on Black Water plugging up the system. Sorry.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Bump has been used to keep a thread near the top so it isn't ignored. It is a courtesy to the op and anyone else that might be interested in it. I was responding to another's post about keeping a thread current. Are you happy now or just confused!
Old 06-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Yes, I am the guilty Troll.

Many of the Threads have no purpose and obviously for someone who has just mowed his lawn and weed whacked, I am personally tired of trolling for clogs and blogs in the Forum's plumbing.

Troll (Webster's pocket dictionary): sing in a full hearty voice, fish with a moving lure, to roll turn, mythical cave dweller.

If some are so thin skinned, egotistical and have a know it all attitude, as myself... I and others like myself should be banned from the Airforum Thread. I would volunteer to be the FIRST Airforum Troll Ejectus. FATE. I will accept the punishment as an honor to Trolls everywhere and in any language.

Some say "stick it in your eye" and that is for minor infractions.

For Airforum Trolls, there should be no cover, no place to hide under phony names, or egregious despicable warped sense of humor that belongs on any Forum but not on one as sophisticated as this.

Please, among the Premiere Flatus of the Flatulent Prima Donnas on this Forum. Cast your vote. I ask no mercy. It would be a relief. No longer will humor and common sense be found on the Airforum Threads. There are better places to be participating, with or without a fake name for pompous posts of content.

Oops... sorry. I thought this was the Thread on Black Water plugging up the system. Sorry.
That was Master level Trolling.

My hat off to you, sir.