Fair Oaks , California
(BTW, sorry for the hijack)

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 06-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #58
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Wow, a border collie could learn something from those stares!

I love border collies, but my sister's is totally buffaloed by their cat. I think the problem is that you can't herd cats.

Ken

This all shows that threads about hijacking are most likely to be hijacked often in many different directions.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #59
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

We have a Pure-bread....

Bob
Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Now I don't want to hijack this thread so lets get back to the subject at hand. Of course having read the thread all the way through I am no longer sure if this is about one reading threads one don't like, trolls, dreebs, men in there 70 or just military men in there seventies, (of which I am one) or cats and dogs which a troll would eat for a snack.
But anyway keep it up as I love it.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
We have a Pure-bread....

Bob

Omg!!! That's perfect!!! I'm almost afraid to ask whether that's photoshop or an actual piece of bread on that face!! 😃

Sorry for the non-trolling hijack.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Now I don't want to hijack this thread so lets get back to the subject at hand. Of course having read the thread all the way through I am no longer sure if this is about one reading threads one don't like, trolls, dreebs, men in there 70 or just military men in there seventies, (of which I am one) or cats and dogs which a troll would eat for a snack.
But anyway keep it up as I love it.
I am with you, there are some exemplary posts in here!

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
wrong place for this pic.
start a 'Bread-Head thread' if you must !

8^)
Old 06-29-2015, 06:04 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kuna , Idaho
Omg

Quote:
We have a Pure-bread....

Bob
That is VERY disturbing.........and creepy.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 AM   #65
EnglishGirl

2000 31' Excella
Milton , Ontario
Quote:
We have a Pure-bread....

Bob

Looks in bread to me 😆

Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 AM   #66
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
no, no, no, no....THIS is very creepy.

Bob
Old 06-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
So, how is it that you reply to a particular post? I see that the post you are replying to shows in grey. Pardon any mistakes, my thumbs are numb and tender from putting in new rub-rail!!!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #68
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Linking a post?

....or posting a link?

Bob
Old 06-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
This forum is a huge benefit and a tremendous resource to us all. The vast majority of the participants here are great and behave in a way that is respectful and contributory in the questions they ask, their answers and opinions, and/or their informative posts.

Unfortunately there seem to be a few participants who much prefer to hijack someone's thread or worse yet, troll. We all slip occasionally but there are some participants that are as consistent in their poor behaviour as the sun coming up each day.

I have two hopes for the board.
1. The trolls go away
2. The thread hijackers learn how to create an original post with their own topic.

Now, I have said it here in my own post versus pointing someone out in a specific thread.

Apologies for my rant - nuf' said.
I could not agree more.

Some of the more annoying troll posts I regularly find here:
- ST tires are perfectly fine, and must be used on trailers.
- A sedan with a 2,000 GVWR can safely tow a 28' Classic.
- A HD tow vehicle suspension will destroy your Airstream.
- Grey water ghost dumping destroys the environment.

aaaand...
- The oceans are rising because you drive an SUV.

Hoping trolls go away is folly; they've been with us since before Algore invented the interwebs...
but, spotting them before you fry brain cells and spike your BP is easy:
avoid any post whose avatar is any form of portrait,
and never read a post that's more than a sentence or two.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
This forum is a huge benefit and a tremendous resource to us all. The vast majority of the participants here are great and behave in a way that is respectful and contributory in the questions they ask, their answers and opinions, and/or their informative posts.

Unfortunately there seem to be a few participants who much prefer to hijack someone's thread or worse yet, troll. We all slip occasionally but there are some participants that are as consistent in their poor behaviour as the sun coming up each day.

I have two hopes for the board.
1. The trolls go away
2. The thread hijackers learn how to create an original post with their own topic.

Now, I have said it here in my own post versus pointing someone out in a specific thread.

Apologies for my rant - nuf' said.
I agree 100% with you. This forum has descended into near-uselessness for me. I dread having a problem that I'll have to ask about on this forum. I usually don't even bother asking any more - I can't remember the last time I got a truly useful answer here.

I participate in a car forum, a camera forum, and I run my own forum, and this one is by far the hardest to get answers from. Where I can, I make sure on the other forums I run/moderate that we don't do the same thing to users of those forums.

When you post a question, you can almost expect:
1. Several responses from people blaming "pet" causes - for example, any air conditioner problem is met with several responses that your campground has low voltage.
2. Several more trolling/trying-to-be-funny responses that might give you a smile but have zero added value and are just more clutter to wade through.

A few people will give the effort to actually give you an answer; those are the people you treasure. But, then, when you follow up with further information, a whole new wave of people will see the post and suggest answers that were already discussed previously because they haven't read the entire thread. More clutter.

The "newest posts" information contribute to the problem, because people don't notice what forum they are in. I frequently see people answer questions about the Sprinter-based motorhomes as though they are on a trailer. Okay for some questions, useless and/or outright wrong for others.

I just wish more people, in their rush to be helpful, would just take a moment before hitting the "Post" button, and say to themselves, "Does this post actually help?" If the answer is "no", browse on without posting.

For those who argued that the trolls are a good thing, what about the poor sap that has to wade through a bunch of clutter or outright incorrect information to find the answer he or she needs?

If it would help, I can call out the trolls when I see them. I don't mind. This thread made me realize that some people might not even realize they're doing it.

I think part of the issue is that the forum has too few moderators, so they don't see half of the problems unless they blow up into a flamewar. I see threads mis-filed and not corrected. One time I reported one and asked if the moderators want us to report them, but I was ignored, so I didn't bother reporting any more. There are well-known trolls running around and nothing is done about them, but you can bet if they get you to react your post will be deleted, but their post will stand. (Hint: That's what makes them TROLLS.) I see people post multiple threads on the same topic, and the threads aren't combined, causing even more clutter.

We know the built-in vBulletin search is useless, but even a Google search these days is getting more and more useless because there are a million threads and posts, because topics diverge so much, and any thread could contain literally any information.

I do have suggestions to help, in addition to my real and joking suggestions above: First, we need to do more FAQ threads which are locked to all but the author of the thread (and moderators). That would help reduce the clutter and trolling a LOT - a question that is already answered saves the person asking time, reduces clutter, and reduces the likelihood of Johnny Smartass posting just to amuse him or herself because they've seen the question a dozen times before and are bored. For example, how many threads are there about campgrounds around DC? Fifty? The options haven't changed in the 16 years I've lived near DC.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote