Old 06-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

..'ya know what your problem is......you think everything revolves around the interweb. Get real......

Bob

Old 06-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Forums are nothing new!

Forums have been around at least since life began on earth. It is only the participants and venues that have changed.

Trolling and Hijacking are things you will see in everyday verbal conversation frequently if you pay attention. There is nearly always someone present who finds the subjects of their thoughts more interesting than what is presently being discussed.

There are also usually people around (like me) who find it amusing to get others' goats. I take pride in the size of my ill gotten goat herd.

These things are basic components in the hindrance of evolution of information exchange.

Ken

Old 06-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I'm glad you cleared that up for me as I seriously did not know what a troll was, I thought they only lived under bridges in fantasy land. I'm such a dweeb sometimes
Me either. Thanks.

George
Old 06-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Dallas Center , Iowa
Passion comes in many forms and for many reasons. Sometimes the topic is more near and dear. Would it be helpful to have the ability to go back into the Forum after the "EDIT/DELETE" timer has run out and still have the ability to "DELETE" after figuring out, Hmm, I wish I would have said that differently? Disagreement is optional, being disagreeable could be modified with EDIT/DELETE as a constant feature and without having to ask a Moderator to do so.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
This forum is very mild and well-mannered. This is especially evident compared to the motorcycle forums I also visit, which seem to have a propensity for discord, bad behavior and trolling.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
Passion comes in many forms and for many reasons. Sometimes the topic is more near and dear. Would it be helpful to have the ability to go back into the Forum after the "EDIT/DELETE" timer has run out and still have the ability to "DELETE" after figuring out, Hmm, I wish I would have said that differently? Disagreement is optional, being disagreeable could be modified with EDIT/DELETE as a constant feature and without having to ask a Moderator to do so.
I suggest making more use of the "preview post" feature, and actually reading what one wrote before submitting it.

And keeping some Tabasco® sauce on hand just in case you have to eat crow, as I have been forced to do in the past when a post I wrote was interpreted in a manner other than the one I intended. An apology by PM goes a long way. A public apology in the thread where the offense was given— so everyone can see it— goes even farther.

Unlimited time on the edit/delete function runs into a problem as soon as someone responds to a post, especially if they quote your post in their reply. You can't fix things retroactively without making a hash of the cause-and-effect flow of the thread. Fortunately, between previewing what we write before posting, and apologizing after if necessary, the edit/delete function is not our only way of policing ourselves.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
I agree 100%. I participate in some forums that have no time limit on edit or delete. I have not seen it create a problem. I am a lousy proof reader, often seeing what I meant rather than what I typed. I would like to have more time to correct those fumble-fingered mistakes that detract from what I intended to convey. I also have typed things and later realized that perhaps they were not appropriate. I would prefer just to get rid of them, rather than having to find a moderator and enter the confession booth.

Ken
Old 06-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I'm glad you cleared that up for me as I seriously did not know what a troll was, I thought they only lived under bridges in fantasy land. I'm such a dweeb sometimes
What is a dweeb? LOL
Old 06-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Alan, I am kinda glad that you brought this up.

If at any time, I annoy anyone, please bring it to my attention. I am aware that forums and social media serve a different function for different folks.

I was called a " troll " in a very dismissive manner, during a particular discussion. In my defense, to me it was a safety issue that I feel very strongly about. And I feel an obligation to give equal info on both sides of the fence.

To be clear…My feelings are that, disagreeing with someone is not trolling. Correct me if you think that I am wrong.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I googled it for you,
Urban Dictionary: dweeb

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I just want to apologize in case I've been guilty of either. I don't think I troll (those people are annoying but entertaining) but I'm sure I've hijacked a thread. I'm relatively new to this site (been RV'ing forever but never came across a Bounder forum and didn't realize until I found this site that my Avion counted as a "vintage kin"...well as far as 1998 is vintage. But I have Aspergers Syndrome so I don't have the best social skills (even online) but it's definitely a lot easier on here than it is in the real world. Aspies (as we're called) are known to be obsessive about things (I'm not like the norm) but it wasn't until recently I was informed by everyone who knows me that I might have a tad obsession with RV's (and boats) but I just love it. I've loved RV's and especially Airstreams since I was two...and was a Class A fanatic born into a trailering family. I love them so much I bought my first Class A before I bought a car! Anyways, just wanna say sorry for hijacking convos and if someone thinks I've been a troll I probably wasn't aware. Just message me and let me know like I ask everyone in the real world to do when I'm being my usual dense self....

But I love this site! Every question I've had about my Moho has always been answered (shout out to MasseyFam for definitely responding the most) And I just think that Airstreamer's are the coolest RV'ers out there. Hence the petition I seriously want to make to send to Airstream corporate to PLEASE bring back their Class A diesel's!! OK, yah even I realized that was a hijack but y'all are awesome. Happy Trails!!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
If at any time, I annoy anyone, please bring it to my attention. I am aware that forums and social media serve a different function for different folks.

I was called a " troll " in a very dismissive manner, during a particular discussion. In my defense, to me it was a safety issue that I feel very strongly about. And I feel an obligation to give equal info on both sides of the fence.

To be clear…My feelings are that, disagreeing with someone is not trolling. Correct me if you think that I am wrong.
You are not wrong, unless you do it simply to get a reaction. To me that is different than disagreeing even though you know you may a reaction, as long as you feel your point is relevant to the subject.

Ken
Old 06-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #27
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
First rule of trolls: If you're worried that you might be one, you're not.

Second rule of trolls: Don't feed the troll.

Dilbert funny on the subject: http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-06-07

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
. . . . . . . . . .
Disagreement is not trolling, particularly when it is adding to the balance and/or understanding of the topic at hand.

We all have seen the occurrence where someone states their opinion as fact and they are simply misinformed. If the different view or statement of the facts is presented in a respectful way, this becomes very valuable to the those reading the board looking for advice and information.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote