Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Rivet Love the forum, hijackers and trolls go away!

This forum is a huge benefit and a tremendous resource to us all. The vast majority of the participants here are great and behave in a way that is respectful and contributory in the questions they ask, their answers and opinions, and/or their informative posts.

Unfortunately there seem to be a few participants who much prefer to hijack someone's thread or worse yet, troll. We all slip occasionally but there are some participants that are as consistent in their poor behaviour as the sun coming up each day.

I have two hopes for the board.
1. The trolls go away
2. The thread hijackers learn how to create an original post with their own topic.

Now, I have said it here in my own post versus pointing someone out in a specific thread.

Apologies for my rant - nuf' said.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
As a newbie to forums in general, I may very well be guilty of one or both of the offenses. Please feel free to call me out on the thread if so or private message me and tell me to cut it out.
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
I have two hopes for the board.
1. The trolls go away
2. The thread hijackers learn how to create an original post with their own topic.
Trolls never go away. But you never have to read their posts, ever again. You can add specific individuals to your "ignore" list. I've done that in exactly one case so far because that particular person seemed to never have anything constructive or even anything humorously snide to offer, and reading his diatribes was just too tedious.

Thread drift is a fact of life, the same way that a face-to-face conversation never stays on topic. It only qualifies as hijacking in my book if the post is a complete non sequitur that has nothing at all to do with either the original post or the latest posts. Even then, if the hijacking is by someone with fewer than twenty posts to his credit, I'll mentally cut him/her some slack.

I'm more amused by people who commit thread necromancy, resurrecting a thread that has been dead for a couple of years in the hope of rekindling the discussion despite the fact that the original participants allowed the thread to die due to lack of interest.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
What's a Troll?

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Trolls to some Gnomes to others...

Hijackers to some Hitchhikers to others...

I see know problem.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Thread necromancy!!! Oh now that flippin funny!!!
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I am on a number of forums, and have used them to my benefit for the last ten years or so. There are definitely more pluses than minuses.

The trolls are forever present in this venue. They have a character defect that urges them to create discourse for the purpose of enhancing their own ego. I try to look at this as a source of entertainment, but occasionally a troll goes over the edge and must be decapitated.

My being one of the moderators not with standing, Airforums is one one of the best policed forums on the Internet. Things here rarely get out of hand. Things do occasionally slip through the cracks, but not for long.

As to the issue of hijacking threads, this is something that most often happens when an inexperienced forums participant doesn't understand the rules of the road and throws in something out context.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Maybe taking things a little too seriously? I love reading the different topics, sometimes I comment, sometimes I just make a note on some great info. I guess now you would call me a "stalker", LOL. It's a place for info, enjoy it, life is short.
TincanRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I belong to a number of forums but follow 5 very regularly - 3 woodworking and 2 rving.

The 3 woodworking forums never have any issues - very personable, very knowledgeable, very helpful.

Airforums is very close to that same level of courtesy, support and helpfulness - the exceptions are a few topics that are pretty much guaranteed to bring out a "diversity of opinion" - and I know I'm as bad as any in making my stronger thoughts known - these topic are the "popcorn" topics - but to be truthful I would not have anticipated a discussion on "campfires" to be among them - regardless - I've always been impressed with the patience of the moderators on this forum with even the most contentious of topics - they sometimes have a tough job to do - they always do it in a professional way and I'm thankful they do.

There is another large RV forum that, on a much more consistent basis, can generate a lot of ill will between participants - on some topics you really need to be prepared to do battle if you want to participate. The moderators there seem to do the same good job - but the audience seems a lot more lively.

Anyway - regardless of the occasional issue this forum is a pretty good place to hang your hat.

And as for trolls? - they'll all get weeded out - sooner or later.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Definition of a Troll from Google:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Bluhahaa I am a Thread Necromancer!

I've done that so many times looking for follow up on a issue.

Troll: some one who posts with the goal of upsetting people, meanness, or just being a jerk.

Thread Jacking: starting a new discussion not related to the goal of the original thread.

Oh on a side note, I'm thinking about buying a new truck, and I notice the dually are about 10k less. I was wondering how many Gas mileage you loose with a dually?
Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Picture my wife took of me responding to a thread on Airforums:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Internet-Troll.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	241759  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Bluhahaa I am a Thread Necromancer!
Thread Jacking: starting a new discussion not related to the goal of the original thread.

Oh on a side note, I'm thinking about buying a new truck, and I notice the dually are about 10k less. I was wondering how many Gas mileage you loose with a dually?
It depends on if you're looking at a Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Toyota, what kind of tires you have on it, if you use ST tires or LT tires on your AS, the brand of tires, how many blow outs, if you put nitrogen in those tires and sit around the campfire to discuss it, religion and politics..... Oh, your mileage may vary.

BTW, the best way to handle trolls is to completely ignore them, never respond to their troll bait.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Definition of a Troll from Google:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Brian

I'm glad you cleared that up for me as I seriously did not know what a troll was, I thought they only lived under bridges in fantasy land. I'm such a dweeb sometimes
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

..'ya know what your problem is......you think everything revolves around the interweb. Get real......

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Forums are nothing new!

Forums have been around at least since life began on earth. It is only the participants and venues that have changed.

Trolling and Hijacking are things you will see in everyday verbal conversation frequently if you pay attention. There is nearly always someone present who finds the subjects of their thoughts more interesting than what is presently being discussed.

There are also usually people around (like me) who find it amusing to get others' goats. I take pride in the size of my ill gotten goat herd.

These things are basic components in the hindrance of evolution of information exchange.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I'm glad you cleared that up for me as I seriously did not know what a troll was, I thought they only lived under bridges in fantasy land. I'm such a dweeb sometimes
Me either. Thanks.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
Passion comes in many forms and for many reasons. Sometimes the topic is more near and dear. Would it be helpful to have the ability to go back into the Forum after the "EDIT/DELETE" timer has run out and still have the ability to "DELETE" after figuring out, Hmm, I wish I would have said that differently? Disagreement is optional, being disagreeable could be modified with EDIT/DELETE as a constant feature and without having to ask a Moderator to do so.
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
This forum is very mild and well-mannered. This is especially evident compared to the motorcycle forums I also visit, which seem to have a propensity for discord, bad behavior and trolling.
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
Passion comes in many forms and for many reasons. Sometimes the topic is more near and dear. Would it be helpful to have the ability to go back into the Forum after the "EDIT/DELETE" timer has run out and still have the ability to "DELETE" after figuring out, Hmm, I wish I would have said that differently? Disagreement is optional, being disagreeable could be modified with EDIT/DELETE as a constant feature and without having to ask a Moderator to do so.
I suggest making more use of the "preview post" feature, and actually reading what one wrote before submitting it.

And keeping some Tabasco® sauce on hand just in case you have to eat crow, as I have been forced to do in the past when a post I wrote was interpreted in a manner other than the one I intended. An apology by PM goes a long way. A public apology in the thread where the offense was given— so everyone can see it— goes even farther.

Unlimited time on the edit/delete function runs into a problem as soon as someone responds to a post, especially if they quote your post in their reply. You can't fix things retroactively without making a hash of the cause-and-effect flow of the thread. Fortunately, between previewing what we write before posting, and apologizing after if necessary, the edit/delete function is not our only way of policing ourselves.