Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Malibu RV

I think most of the full timers stay on the "mountain view side" across from the Ocean view. You can sit on the bluffs anytime you want and you can cross PCH by going under the bridge down by the restaurant. We really enjoy it, there is a good 2 1/2 mile hiking trail up Corral Canyon. but commutes into LA can be time consuming

str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Dockweiler Beach

Dockweiler State Beach is another idea and is basically under the LAX runway......maximum 21 days in 60 day time period. If I remember it was about $26 a night. It is a clean safe park that was recently refurbished.....and it is really in LA if that is where you want to be---but the jet noise is relentless--especially at 2 am and 6 am. You can check their rules on their website: Beaches: Dockweiler

Good luck and let us know where you end up..and how it worked for you.....pj

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Goin Camping -

Traffic in LA is a pretty major headache as it is I can only imagine if there is only one road (the PCH) available to get there.

I'll be doing a little of both while in LA (work and pleasure) so it would be nice if I could find a place that offers the convenience of the city when I want it and a little beach life when I'm "home".

I'm trying to figure out if I want to live in LA so that's why I need the long term thing.

thank you so much for your advice.

cheers,
allen
Old 09-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #18
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Family recently stayed at Golden Shore RV park in Long Beach. They do have some "residents" who have extended stays. It's clean, has pool and jacuzzi, restrooms, showers and laundry. Many of the people that are in the park are convention visitors.

It is at the end of the 710 Long Beach FWY. There you can see the queen Mary if you in a spot that allows it. Nice walkway to exercise. It does have a "dog run". Close to all the entrainment spots in the City.

And the management people are nice too.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Allen,

Unlike many large cities. Downtown is a place you may never go.

Many people live and work in the same satelite area. If you are self employed you can be anywhere. L.A. also has many micro climates.

If you are able to choose your area consider Northern L.A. ie Santa Clarita, North West San Fernando Valley or Simi Valley (in Ventura County) These are nice safe less congested areas. With good freewat access. The other real benefit of these areas is they are "on the edge" of the City and it is a fast escape up the 5 or 14 and across the 210 to get out of town for getaways.

Another beach thought to look into is Oxnard and Ventura. They are both in Ventura County but the pace of life is slower and more affordable.

When you've picked your options let us Angelenos know and we'll tell you which nearby to your location freeways are better or worse.

Milo

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Options...

Well I guess that's the cool thing about having an Airstream. You have multiple options. I was talking to a friend of mine last night that lives in North Hollywood and he said that he knows people that live in their RVs in people's driveways. Is that true?

He even said some people just pull up on the street. The way LA rent is I would think that would be quite common.

Cheers,
Allen
Old 09-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
on the street

is not really a safe option. a few months ago someone set a motorhome parked on the street on fire at night. fortunately the women was able to get out. let us know where you decide to try and we will see if we can get your motorhomes "big brother" out for a visit.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Wow!

You're kidding! OMG! That's crazy. However, I kind of thought that wasn't a good idea, it's LA afterall.

Thanks again for all your help. If anything else comes to mind i'd love to hear it.

cheers,
allen
Old 09-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamlean
Well I guess that's the cool thing about having an Airstream. You have multiple options. I was talking to a friend of mine last night that lives in North Hollywood and he said that he knows people that live in their RVs in people's driveways. Is that true?

He even said some people just pull up on the street. The way LA rent is I would think that would be quite common.

Cheers,
Allen
Allen,

They are called the Mobile Homeless and it is not a safe proposition in L.A.

I did it in my youth in a volkswagon van but I did it in expensive areas.

If your gonna be homeless do it with the rich folks!

I think I can set you up with a free spot on a 80 acre private gun club in the San Fernando Valley. P.M. me if interested.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Try more than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamlean
you mentioned there is quite a bit of stuff right near the Long Beach location. is there much to do near the Malibu location? how is the Long Beach area, safe, nice? also, is there a beach to actually swim in at Long Beach?

since your from the Hunington area is there anything south of the city in Orange county or near you that has long term camping?

allen
You can tell by the responses that So Cal has a lot of helpful AS folks. While you are here, make sure you plan on attending one of the California Streamer Rallys.

As for Long Beach, i agree with Goin camping, the area the RV park is in has all be renovated, but as you go inland it does get a little depressed, but it shouldn't be an issue. I forgot to mention that the park is walking distance to the high speed ferry that goes to Catalina Island, about 20 miles offshore, a great get-away spot with a small town, Avalon.

I don't think I would advise swimming in the channel next to the park, but swimming beaches are a short drive (5 mins) or a longer walk (25 mins) and probably less than 10 minutes by bike.

I think the idea of trying more than one location may be your best bet, maybe Malibu, Long Beach, and further south, San Clemente (San Clemente Stae Beach has nice size full hook ups with distant ocean views, spaces 59, 60, 61, 62 and 63). I only suggested these locations because it seem you favor ocean close locations.

There is a private RV park in Huntington as well as the State beach and the city beach RV campgrounds, all three have limits on time, I am not sure.

John