Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovk
Good info, thanks. Considering what you get for you money a good gas powered pickup, 2WD, good rear ratio, maybe even manual transmission would be a better choice compared to a diesel.
I wouldn't go manual on most gas as the tow rating for a stick is always lower than the rating for the auto version ( torque multiplication factor for the auto) Exception of course is for diesels because of their massive low end torque. Yes , 2 wheel drive is great as long as you buy something with a locking rear end. I live and camp in hilly country and that's why I use a 4wd.
George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a 3/4 Ton Dodge pickup with a 360 engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. It has an 8800# GVWR. I have had no problems towing my '74 Argosy 26'. The trailer weighs 5,600# when loaded. While the engine is under powered for the 10,000 foot passes in the mountains. The manual transmission is great for holding back going down hill. I rarely use the brakes when going down hill. I run in 4th gear when towing. I get almost 13 mpg. It will drop below 12 mpg when I try to run in 5th.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie
I have a 3/4 Ton Dodge pickup with a 360 engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. It has an 8800# GVWR. I have had no problems towing my '74 Argosy 26'. The trailer weighs 5,600# when loaded. While the engine is under powered for the 10,000 foot passes in the mountains. The manual transmission is great for holding back going down hill. I rarely use the brakes when going down hill. I run in 4th gear when towing. I get almost 13 mpg. It will drop below 12 mpg when I try to run in 5th.
That is one of good things about a manual. The hold back capabilities, going downhill.
The 8800 lb GVWR that you mention, is only the total weight capacity for your truck. It doesn't have much to do with the GCWR which tells you the total weight capacity that your engine, truck, and rear end ratio can legally pull,combined.
You could for example have your truck with a 3 .30 rear end which wouldn't pull as much as your truck with 3.73 rear, yet still have the same weight carrying capacity.
Great mileage from that 360 btw.
George
Old 07-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have a 16' Bambi and have made many trips in it, long and short. However, we are generally a twosome plus a medium-size dog, rarely with an adult child or two. In a pinch, we did sleep four in it once, but had to put the dinette back bolsters in the truck!

Although we have considered a bigger unit with a better kitchen, dry bath, and more storage, the "little guy" advantages are:

1. Our 16-footer weighs 3500 pounds. We tow it with a 2011 crew-cab Toyota Tacoma. Since the vehicle is rated for much more weight, we don't have particular problems with power. We do tend to cruise at around 60 MPH in order to get 15mpg. At higher speeds, the gas milage falls.

We have a shell/canopy on the back of our truck, which allows us to store most things we want that don't fit in the Bambi. Also, we decided that we wanted to have only one vehicle in our lives and the Tacoma is a good all-around truck.

2. We enjoy camping in national parks and other public campgrounds that were often built prior to the popularity of big campers. We have never been told that our trailer is too long to fit into a national or provincial park site.

3. It's cheaper. However if you want a normal kitchen, a 20' unit is more suitable.

In addition to what you don't get (above) with the sixteener:

1. Our roof is too small for solar panels.

2. With only one sink, you have to think about hygiene. We use baby wipes for hand-cleaning in the small wet-bath, and lysol-wipe out our sink frequently.

3. You have to work out with your spouse/partner who does what when in a small space. If someone is cooking or washing up, for example, the other one usually hunkers down in the dinette, on the bed, or outside. The awning is helpful when it rains, as it provides useable outdoor space.

After a while, this "do-si-do" becomes normal.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I've been towing a 20' Safari with a Mercedes ML500 for five years. The ML is rated for towing 5,000 lbs. Been through the mountains, NY to Alaska, several times out west. I've never had a complaint. I can get into small camping spots and the ML is a great daily driver. I couldn't be happier.

The ML500 does have a V-8.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We had a Suburban but towed a larger trailer. In 2008 we bought a Tahoe and last May we bought a 20 ft 2012 model. We have used it several times now and we are taking it to the Mammoth area for a week of fishing in the Sierras in Aug.
I think the Tahoe is a very good match for the 20 ft especially getting out of the LA basin where you have to pull some steep hills. Either the Cajon pass or the Grape Vine to the North, not to mention Shirwin summit out of Bishop. I'm very happy with the Tahoe. 21 MPG hwy solo and 13 towing about the same in town. I feel very green where ever I go.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
gmeikl: The truck has a 4:10 positraction rear end. I do realize that the GVWR rating of the truck is really not relative to it's towing capacity. But it does indicate that the axle ratings are high and the tongue weight of 820# is not a problem for the truck. Even when we have the bed full of stuff. The truck weighs 5900# with a full tank of gas (42gal) therefore the cargo capacity is 2900#. Subtract the 820# tongue weight and I still have a ton of capacity. No pun intended.
The more weight in the truck makes it easier to handle the trailer. I also have rear axle air bags to compensate for tongue and cargo weight.
I bought this truck from a friend who ordered it and equipped it specifically to pull a 35' fifth wheeler. It has no problem handling the Argosy.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
I've been towing a 20' Safari with a Mercedes ML500 for five years. The ML is rated for towing 5,000 lbs. Been through the mountains, NY to Alaska, several times out west. I've never had a complaint. I can get into small camping spots and the ML is a great daily driver. I couldn't be happier.

The ML500 does have a V-8.
Wayne and Sam, I think that the only reason that you are only rated at 5000 lb is due to the class III hitch. You certainly have the power to pull more. I think that in Europe your vehicle was rated around 7000lb? so is probably underrated here which is why you have no problem. I'd love to use something smaller to tow than my truck, but with a canoe, tandem and single bikes, and two dogs..... well you get the picture. The 20 ft is probably the perfect size trailer to tow though.
George
Old 07-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Works for us with two dogs, kayak, one bike and a bunch of fishing gear. The tandem would be tough.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote