Old 07-30-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
kennebunkport , Maine
looking for small Airstream

I am new to this group, hello! Hope this is acceptable. I am currently looking for my first airstream but have been diligent in regards to what to look for, and look out for. No success as of yet.
Does anyone know of a globetrotter/safari, or the like, available in fair to average condition? I am in the Northeast.
Laurie Dobson
thank you!

lauriedobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Laurie, I don't know of a trailer available in your area of the country, but just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

It may take a "while" to find the trailer of your dreams, and you may have to travel a ways to go and get it once you do find it. However, I recommend you just keep looking everywhere, like the classifieds here, on EBAY, on craigslist, and everywhere else you can find them. Eventually you will find the trailer you are looking for. Good luck.

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yards, Storage Areas

Bargains are often found in backyards, RV Storage lots, Resort Areas, Fishing & Hunting camps.

You have to be creative and brave to take advantage of these. First don't rely on a "for sale" sign. Many things aren't for sale - per se - until you ask... or simply leave your name and number "Just in case you change your mind and decide to sell it."

Unfortunately many of us aren't very good at discarding, selling, trading things that we no longer use. A much enjoyed Airstream that hasn't moved in the 10 years since "grandad" died is a classic example. If you hunt hard enough they can be found. There's a Globetrotter sitting in an alley in downtown Virginia Beach that hasn't moved an inch in 10 years. I've left three notes for the owners without results. Will probably get a call from their heirs.

Do use a bit of caution and manners before approaching an old "abandoned" trailer. If it has three chimneys... it's a meth lab! If you see a pit bull... it's not worth seeing.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
kennebunkport , Maine
thanks for the help!

thank you for responding, airstreamers. it's nice that you have a community of support here. much appreciated.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
1994 25' Excella
Wilmington , Delaware
Don't forget the dealers...

I thoroughly enjoyed the search for my first Airstream. I was diligent also and fully engaged in a daily search. It took five months and I travelled from Delaware to Florida to inspect and purchase my Excella. In fact, once I made the purchase and transitioned from shopping to ownership, it became daunting as I realized how much I didn't know about owning, towing, and caring for one. Very exciting!! A truly fun learning experience!! An adventure in itself.

Thank goodness for Airstreamers and resources like this forum!!

Get inside as many Airstreams as you can. Don't ignore the features and floorplans of Airstream models you wouldn't dream of owning. There's knowledge hidden there. (The fellow that sold me my Excella had no idea that two Zip - Dee chairs were stored inside the writing table until I asked him over the phone to verify they were there. How did I know? From this forum!!) Visit Airstream dealers and tell them what you're looking for. Visit other dealers and let them know. Only you know what you're willing to spend but don't hide what you're looking for. Airstream dealers - or any RV dealer - will become an important resource for you as an Airstream owner so knowing them is vital to a satisfying ownership experience.

There's a special feeling I get - even after five years - whenever I discover a feature or hidden detail in my Airstream I didn't know about. I've had fridge problems recently and as I read the owner's manual, I learned that I could swap the hinges on the doors! Duh! Right?

You could get lucky and find a hidden gem. An owner may take a liking to you. Somebody might know somebody who might remember somebody with one parked in a barn. It happens. Airstreamers are peculiarly likeable group of people.

If you have local access to someone with Airstream expertise, use it! Be careful about deals that seem too good to be true. Use third party inspection services and don't ignore what they say but make certain they understand what you plan to do with your Airstream. If you plan to use your Airstream as a guest house, then the running gear need only be good enough for you to get it home. That sort of thing.

Good luck. And keep us informed. A not-so-distant second to the pleasure of the Airstream experience is the vicarious enjoyment of other Airstreamer's experiences. It's all good. A little expensive sometimes, but still all good.

And fold the tow vehicles mirrors in when you're crossing over onto Deer Isle to get some of them tasty scallops in Stonington. That bridge and scenery are gorgeous, I'm told. I don't know. I was looking at the narrow lane I had to navigate. My knuckles are still white.

Best wishes
Tom T.
Former Owner Of:
'94 25' Excella 1000
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Trailertroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I spent six months looking for one, and finally my husband suggested I put a wanted ad in the nearest 'big' newspaper. Sure enough the first morning I got a call from a nice older couple who wanted to sell their little trailer, and it was perfect for me! It wasn't what I was looking for, and it was more than I was hoping to spend, but it was still the deal of the century to me. Six years later it still is Good luck, you'll find it, you just have to keep looking.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
When we were looking for our AS we watched the Forums Classifieds, searched using various RV web search tools such as,, and some others. After over a year of looking we purchased our 2005 Classic that had been in the Forums Classifieds two different times about 8 months apart. The price was a little high the first time and then was dropped considerably. We made an appointment and drove to see it 400 miles from our home. We checked the NADA guide for used prices on this model and after seeing that it was almost like new as advertised, made an offer $5000 less than the advertised price and it was accepted. Two weeks later we drove back and picked it up and we have now had it out 5 times since February.

dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Our you looking for new or old? Other things on your must have list?
The Silver Queen
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
On thing I'd recommend after going through the buying process twice, is thinking broad about the location. As difficult as it is to inspect it, pay for it and transport it at the beginning of the ownership experience... it opens up way more possibilities, and usually provides a wonderful sense of adventure right at the outset - wonderful (and sometimes harrowing) memories that you'll carry throughout the time that you own your trailer.

We live in Chicago, and bought our first trailer online from a place in Tacoma, WA. The second one we bought on eBay, through a reputable restoration outfit in South Carolina. In both cases we used vacation time to turn the experience into a real journey, and hit the ground running - learning about towing, brake controllers and 7-way plugs.

Just one more thing (out of hundreds) to consider - good luck!

In case you're bored sometime, here are the 5 blog posts relating to my journey to pick up our second GlobeTrotter:
How to Turn a 4 Day Trip Into an 9 Day Journey
Days 1 Through 4
Days 4 Through 7
Days 4-7, Cont.
Days 7 Through 9
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
Usually Sleepy
1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Welcome to the forums!

Shameless plug alert: Have a look at my Argosy by clicking the link in my signature. I'm in southern CT and could meet you part way if you want to have a look.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Really enjoyed reading about your adventure. Glad you posted the links.

tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
kennebunkport , Maine
thanks again for all your contributions. wow! skip....

Can I get more info on the argosy? nice pic of your overlander. price, etc....
Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
kennebunkport , Maine
We are looking for the perfect solution for our two person use, so here's our request list: shiny, looks like new, all redone interior, priced as an 'as found' but lovingly worked on and improved/restored, midsize, canopies, good shape outside. Kind of farfetched but we are very into the airstream line and community of support. Nice to be here. We realize that we need to be realistic but it doesn't hurt to dream!