Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
65 Safari

I know where there is a 65 Safari.. the guy wants $3500 for it.. it needs alot of work, but is all there and all original. It hasn't moved in quite some time. It's here in central NY.

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #16
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriedobson View Post
Can I get more info on the argosy? nice pic of your overlander. price, etc....

Hello Laurie. I sent you a pm with details on my Argy. Please call with any questions.

biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
kennebunkport , Maine
thanks for the info on both above. I am more interested in safaris, tradewinds globetrotters and maybe caravels at this point although I love the interiors of some bigger newer models. Windows and light are a plus, skylights? Could I learn more about the safari? am I asking for trouble?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Wow!

You should have bid on this Caravel..

Airstream Caravel 1967 18' camper needing refurbished:eBay Motors (item 290334051944 end time Jul-31-09 15:54:25 PDT)

All I can say is wow...

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriedobson View Post
Windows and light are a plus, skylights?
Keep in mind that Argosys like biggoofball's (which is a very nice trailer - I've seen it, and if I wasn't so hung up on towing with my beloved minivan, I'd probably would have bought it) have the front wrap window. It is a lovely thing that lets in a lot of light in the front of the coach. (It's one of the reasons I'm likely about to buy an Argosy Minuet 6.0.)

Airstream started using the panaromic window in the 80s on some models; my wife and I think that they are one of the things that make modern Airstreams so tempting.

Overhead windows, called vista views, are relatively rare on smaller vintage trailers. They start becoming more common on 25' and larger trailers (Tradewind, Caravanner, etc.)

It's sometimes worth taking a road trip to see/get a trailer. We drove down to Asheville to pick up our used T@B - someone had just what we wanted, which we determined by going to T@B rallies and dealers.

Finally, it might be worth a road trip to go to the Vintage Trailer Jam in Saratoga Springs NY in a few weeks. Going to the Saturday open house there last year was a great experience, as you get to see a huge number of vintage trailers all in one place. Looking at a lot of trailers, both at the Jam and at some restorers, also let us figure out what size we wanted - we started looking at Caravels/Bambis, but found that the sweet spot for the two of us was 20-footers. (If I had more $, we'd have a new Flying Cloud 23' FB and a Land Cruiser to tow with... )

Tom
Old 08-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Hi Lauriedobson, from the Santa Cruz Mountains.
One of the things I really like about my '64 Safari is the number of windows it has. It is only 22' long but has nine windows, a skylight vent cover, and a door-within-a-door. Of all the Airstreams I've been in it has the most windows per foot.
I looked at a couple of mid-seventies Airstreams with the vista-view upper windows and the wrap-around front windows when I was looking to buy. Almost all of these windows had significant problems. One in particular had an aquarium in the front corner window: It was 2/3 full of green water and had plant-like things growing inside of it.
Something else to consider is the vintage of what you buy affects what was used in its finishes. Pre-'65 used Zolatone painted aluminum interior walls and various species of wood such as birch, walnut, mahogany and oak for all interior woodwork. '65 and later have vinyl over aluminum on the walls, and at this time or soon after they switched to vinyl finishes on the interior woodwork also, in most cases.
I have heard many complaints about the vinyl walls becoming sticky, though there is a remedy for that, I believe. Also, the vinyl finished woodwork is hard to repair well and almost impossible to change the look of. Then again, a pre-'65 Airstream is probably going to need more repair and maintenance than a later model too.
For my tastes the Zolatone and real wood are worth the extra work of having an older Airstream, and the "cool-factor" just increases with age. I really like my '64 but I would like to have an even older one, like a late fifties whale-tail Flying Cloud. What a work of art! Hey, If you haven't already been there go to vintageairstream.com/archives to see all of the sizes and layouts for the different years. It's a great place to research these things.

Good luck, Rich