Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Looking for friends...

... there seem to be an awful lot of forum members in the Chicago area but the members listing doesn't seem to give me a way to search geographically. I would love to be able to reach all the local A/S people were I to throw a party.

Is there a way to figure that out? Sometimes the profiles don't offer a clue either. So far, if someone doesn't throw in a reference to their location during a post, I may never realize they're just up the road. I write people's names down as they surface or PM me but, well, Post-It notes have a short shelf life around here....

Maybe someone around here has a list already? If not, could people with a Chicago connection just have a thread they could post to?

Thanks,
Summerkid
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 03:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I use to live in Chicago back in the 60's. Nice town.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Looking for friends...

Greetings Summerkid!

A number of the Chicago Area Forum members will be at the Midwest Rally in June at Morain View State Park. Chicago is my hometown by birth even though I consider a small town in far Southern Illinois to be my real hometown. My current residence is in a small town jus outside of Rock Island, Illinois - - but that will come to an end sometime this summer when I move back to Union County, Illinois (just north of Cairo).

I actually spent much of my youth in Kankakee, Illinois.

If you haven't already made plans to, and you have the time - - come join us for the Midwest Forums Rally at Moraine View State Park!

Midwest Forums Rally Thread

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Chicago IS a great place...

.... as cities go. And if you're in newspapers, which means you probably want to be where the news happens, which often means you live in a city with problems, it's the best of all worlds.

BUT.

If you're from a one-room-schoolhouse-town in Montana, the big city gets old after about 15 years. When I was younger & wanted to go out all the time & listen to music, there was none better. But now I want to ski & sail & run with the dog & have bees & horses & other nonsense, so I'm looking to get out. Narrowly missed talking my boyfriend into 300 acres up in Wisconsin last month but he didn't pull out his checkbook, unfortunately.

So I'm looking for ways to make life in the city bearable for now, and that is where the Airstreams come in. If I can retrieve my new-to-me Bambi from Abilene by June, I'll definitely be at the rally. And otherwise, we'll probably drive down & hang out anyway.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Chicago IS a great place...

Quote:
Originally posted by summerkid
.... as cities go. And if you're in newspapers, which means you probably want to be where the news happens, which often means you live in a city with problems, it's the best of all worlds.

BUT.

If you're from a one-room-schoolhouse-town in Montana, the big city gets old after about 15 years. When I was younger & wanted to go out all the time & listen to music, there was none better. But now I want to ski & sail & run with the dog & have bees & horses & other nonsense, so I'm looking to get out. Narrowly missed talking my boyfriend into 300 acres up in Wisconsin last month but he didn't pull out his checkbook, unfortunately.

So I'm looking for ways to make life in the city bearable for now, and that is where the Airstreams come in. If I can retrieve my new-to-me Bambi from Abilene by June, I'll definitely be at the rally. And otherwise, we'll probably drive down & hang out anyway.
Welcome to the wonderful world of getting away from it all! We were city dwellers for years, and now live in rural eastern Iowa. Close enough to services, shopping, and culture that it's available when we choose to avail ourselves, but far enough that the problems of big city life don't intrude much...

Summerkid, you're welcome at the June rally any way you can make it! If you're serious about camping though, please make your reservation so you'll be sure to be with the group. The cost is minimal, and if you don't make it, you'll only lose a few bucks.

Hope to see you there!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Hey Summerkid, sorry to hear your guy didn't buy you that land. I'm sure the country is calling to you after so much time in the big Windy City.

If you happen to get together a list of Chicagans, and happen to throw a little shin-dig, I'd like to know. We are up in Chicago once a month, it seems. Headed up there Friday, actually. I have more contact with all of you Airstreamers in Chicago, than I do with anyone around here in St. Louis. I too was looking for a way to locate the locals when I first joined the Forum. That is something they (being the powers that be) should look into.

You know, if you find a nice plot of land, I'll be happy to invite us all up for an informal A/S Rally. LOL

Good to hear from you!

Ron
Old 03-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Ahhh, Chicago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	missy\'s condo 008.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	5128  
Old 03-09-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
PM me......

Life in Chitown is all good (except for traffic..then again, what real city has great movements of traffic...)

Airstreamers are everywhere.....

There are other places to live besides Chicago? I try to say goodbye and choke, try to walk away and I stumble........
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Thumbs up Chicago

Enjoyed the movie.

I've been on the periphery all my life. First Indianapolis where I thrilled picking up the Chicago radio stations late at night and hated the Bears because that was all we got on TV. Now Minneapolis. Yes it is a periphery satellite to Chicago as is almost all the Midwest. I do get down to Chicago quite often on business. I will be there in June for the AIA Convention.

I love downtown Chicago. I remember one Friday afternoon at the end of the work day sitting on the pier looking up toward downtown. I picked up on this one suited guy with briefcase for some strange reason emerging from the downtown towers I think because of his mood, his weary walk, his nonchalance. I watched him as he slowly ambled across the park. In slow progression as he walked toward Lake Michigan he loosened his tie. Then he pulled off his coat. Then he rolled up his sleeves. Then he pulled off his tie and undid his top shirt button. As he approached his walk picked up. His chin got higher. He walked past me onto the docks, leapt into a sailboat, pulled out, put his sails out and solo sailed north. God! that was the greatest TGIF I ever saw.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
IF only you would have been on the boat with him huh? or a sailing airstream? A sailstream. If I had one, I'd dock it in Chicago.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

So you watched him steal my boat and then didn't even report him?!!!

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Old 03-10-2004, 09:25 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up CHICAGO

We just got back from Chicago last weekend! Be sure to include us in your party plans. It just doesn't start until we get there!
Old 03-10-2004, 06:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I'm outside Chicago about 23 miles west via the BNSF main line that goes out to Aurora. I'm heading down to Moraine View in June sans the "Baked Potato" shes laid up for the next couple of years for rehab.

It would be cool to have a local, local meet. Summerkid, are you a member of the Midwest unit of the WBCCI? They have local meets and Rallies.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 08:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Exclamation More Chicagoans...

More Chicagoans here... would like to hear of any local activity or news...
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 08:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Pool party ...

... the Monday of Labor Day weekend. My house. PM me for details, you 2 or 3 Chicagoans who won't be Airstreaming.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Chicago - A cold city in the winter!

I was born there and raised there. I moved away 9 years ago and haven't regretted it a day since. Of course most of my family lives in Mississippi near where I now reside.

The only real thing I miss about the ol city is the vast variety of food. I miss the closeness of anything you need, but what the heck........I traded that for warmer winters, no snow shoveling ever, great fishing, year-roud camping and fishing, and most of all a better environment to raise my son in.

Yea, I miss it sometimes, but overall I wouldn't move back.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote