Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Looking for an inspector in or around Phily

I have found a Trailer on the NE of side of Philadelphia. I was hoping to get someone to go over and look at with me as I am totally inexperienced and wouldn't know exactly what to expect good or bad. Not expecting a freebie willing to cover your expenses plus a free lunch of course. I am not totally out of the loop I do have experience with electrical and plumbing as well as construction just not as related to Airstreams. I'm trying to set up an appointment for the beginning of next week or sometime thereafter. As per your schedule. Please PM me if you are interested in giving Prospective airstream owner a leg up. Definitely not a dealer or a flipper.
Thanks, SaabLover
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You may want to PM somebody on the volunteer inspector's list to see if they can help you out. It's good that you are close and will be able to do it together...you'll learn alot, even it this one doesn't work out.

Good luck with your search ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
do you have any pics? any trailer info, i.e. model, length, year?

there are certain things that you will need to look for depending on the year. post some more info and you'll get pointed in the right direction on things to look for. someone may have a checklist that you could use that would allow you to go check it out even if you can't find an inspector.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Here is a full discription, that is as mush as I have.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...etc-27790.html

How do you PM someone if you have their name but have never seem them on the forum?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
the link didn't seem to work. try it again.

go under member list and search there.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sorry about that try this. I couldn't edit the other post.

Clicky For Link
Old 11-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi saab,

the link worked and i see there is a post going on over there about it, but i'll comment here since that's where i started.

my advice would be to hold off on this particular trailer. they're not too hard to come by and i think you should spend more time on the forum here, even another couple of weeks and try and get as much info you can about the model you want, etc. you'll soon find within a matter of time, you'll have a much better general idea about these trailers and know what to look for when you're ready to purchase. i hung around the forum for a year before i bought my airstream. there is such a wealth of knowledge on here, i'd recommend just spending more time here, you may find you like another model type (As long as you keep it airstream, no complaints). still nothing wrong with going to see the trailer though.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Well so far I'm having no luck of finding an inspector to go and check out that airstream in Philly. I'd still like to do it at the beginning of the week hopefully. If there is anybody out there I would be driving straight across New Jersey down the Philly from New York. If there's anyone on the way please let me know. Any help at all would be some help. Thanks anyway

SL
Old 12-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Finally got to see the airstream in Philadelphia.

Well it'll be a week ago Monday that Briath, Howard and I went down to check this unit out. Briath and Howard are avid members of this forum. They were my official inspectors extraordinaire. Really two of the nicest people I've met in recent time. They couldn't do enough for me, just lovely people. They're airstream made my mouth water, and want one even more. But it also showed me what one should look like. Then on to Philly, where we found something completely different. There seems to be a reason why this fellow only had one picture of this thing. While the interior wasn't terribly bad, although I'm sure that all the electric and gas and plumbing probably had to be completely redone. The toilet which seem to be connected to a paving stone once moved exposed the whole of the floor connected to nothing. The underbelly skin which wasn't there along with a lot of the superstructure for the frame which also wasn't there due to extensive rusting. This thing must've sat in salt water for months. That along with leaving the belly skin on too long after the initial flooding caused for major rot. The gas lines, the plumbing lines and electric under the trailer were tied in knots. The metal framing most of which was totally rusted away, such a disappointment. It was a great education for me Briath and Howard really took me to school. In many ways the trip was invaluable. But we all seem to agree on one thing, this one just might not be so salvageable. So if anyone just might have a wrecked 34 foot Excella underframe chassis and tri-axle, that and have free access to a crane you might be able to fix this. I am including all the pictures that I took on the trip of the trailer anyone interested do the click thing below. Thanks for all your comments.
SaabLover

56k Nightmare!!!!
http://www.tiny.cc/AirstreamPhilly

Old 12-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Those pictures of the frame say it all! How much was the seller asking for this trailer?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
I found it on Craigs list. He was asking $3200. It seems to have been removed now. If anyone would want his contact info please PM me glad to give it to you.
SL