Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2004, 07:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Elgin , Texas
Question Looking for a bit of feedback

In 1995, I started out with a small Jayco Eagle 8 pop-up and traded up (so to speak) to a 1998 Coleman Bayside pop-up with a slide. Now, we're looking at Airstreams. Not the new ones, but the ones built in the mid-80's to mid 90's. Having no experience "living" in one of these beauties, I was wondering about storage space and "moving around" space. Any thoughts good or bad about these aspects? All input will be greatly appreciated!
ginger126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Restricting outselves just to the topics you mentioned, storage space and "moving around" space...

1) Airstreams of the years you specify (80's - 90's) are second to none in storage space.

2) As a consequence of 1) above, they have limited open floor space. Very few people hold dances in their Airstream.

You can't have both.

The wide bodies, introduced in 1995, are six inches wider, giving noticably greater floor space.

We own an '85 Sovereign, 25', and find the storage to be simply phenomenal. Upon occasion I have looked at other travel trailers in our size and weight class. I am always left with the question, "but where would I put...." When I purchased mine, the owners spent four solid hours cleaning their stuff out. Upon arrival, I found enough struff they had overlooked to fill three large boxes.

For our purposes, the floor space is adequate, even where it is not generous. The (side bath) shower is comodius, the galley just large enough so that we can pass each other comfortably, and the front lounge is all we require. The only shortage is in the bathroom floor.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Ginger you should have bought this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWA%3AIT

but someone else did. So it goes.

One thing in your favor, Austin seems to be a bigtime Airstream town.
Of course most of em are Motor Homes. and the dealer is out in Buda.
Well at least ya got good music and Bar-b-cue all around.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:52 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Storage space is excellent, moving around space can be a little tight, especially if you are a, um, "wide-body" like me...
Our particular trailer is a little more roomy than most of its era, because it came equipped with two couches that convert into double beds, instead of a couch and a dinette, like most trailers.
This gives a more open area at the front of the trailer.
Terry
Old 02-12-2004, 02:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
I've found that there isn't a place in the A/S that isn't used for the something. It seems that the space is well utilized allowing for lots of storage!

When we purchased our first A/S I was concerned with the loss of space near the ceiling. I really don't notice that very much any more. Good trade off IMO!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:35 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Ginger,

Been there done that We have a Coleman Niagara Popup, and have "upgraded" to a Vintage Airstream. We love the interior space on ours and the storage space is astounding! That was one of my biggest concerns when I first looked at the Airstreams.
BTW our Airstream tows much better than our Coleman ever did. Much better behaved We are going to enjoy having to not set the Popup back up when we get home to dry out the tenting, and being able to just walk into to it anytime we want to load or check on something is a great help too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:30 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Elgin , Texas
Wahoonc - I gotta admit, I won't be missing all that setup with the pop-up...especially in the rain! Oh, I'll miss it a bit for sentimental reasons, kind of like one misses their first car, but I'm ready for the change.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:38 AM   #8
nds
3 Rivet Member

Here's a link for used Airstreams that are for sale through this one Site. There are several other Sites too to search the Net for them.

Used Airstreams for sale
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Elgin , Texas
Thanks for the site!

Thanks, NDS, we are haunting ALL of the for sale sites! Hopefully, we'll be seeing you guys later in the year in our new-to-us AS.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I hear you!

Ginger, we too had a pop-up, the Coleman Bayside. We want an AS in the worst way, but for now, we are limited by our tow vehicle, a Toyota Landcruiser. So, we compromised for the time being with the (same brand but I won't whisper it on this forum) hybrid that has a pull out hard side bed at the front end. It's nice, and we do enjoy it, but I look forward to the time, I hope not too far in the future, when we upgrade our tow vehicle to one that will handle the heavier AS weights and then trade up our trailer to a not-so-vintage AS. I am interested in the wide bodies of the 90's, I think. I drool over the classic older ones we read about on this forum, but I know that we would feel confined in the limited space on our longer trips as we enter retirement. Happy hunting. I still think AS is the way to go, and this forum is the place to learn!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

"We want an AS in the worst way..."

Those turn up on Ebay occasionally.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:19 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Did same thing!

Our last camper was a 2001 Coleman Bayside. We now own a 2004 Airstream Safari 28 W.

We have two kids (8 and 4).

We took delivery of it two weeks ago, and we are going to pack it tommorow (Sat.)

There is no comparison on storage and ergonomics, let alone quality. Our new unit has cosmetic defects, but those will be fixed up when we take it in for service. We live in Ohio, so we have not used it and probably cannot for awhile -- waiting so we can try out all the systems...you can see info about that in other threads -- just look at my username and see where I have been posting...

We had our Bayside jammed full of gear. We are going to probably put all these things in the AS and have at least 70% of the storage space left over...

I was eyeballing it last night, and even though it would not make sense, we could probably fit all our gear inside the outside storage compartment and the bins under the rear bed. All the cabinets, all the cubbies would be completely empty...

That is all the gear we had stored in the Bayside trunk in front, all the stuff we stored in the galley and drawers, and all the crap we had in plastic bins that travelled on the floor. All of it. It would fit space-wise under out queen bed...we had a complete kitchen set-up for the bayside...

We would still have the storage in the bulk of the Safari empty...

And we do not need some of the stuff anymore, like tarps to shade the end canvas, and other things I packed for comfort that are part of having a travel trailer instead of a glorified tent...

Storage is not your concern, from my experience...you will love it!
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:20 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Re: re: I hear you!

Quote:
Originally posted by ginger126
We are also looking at the wide bodies and have pretty much decided on a 34'.

In terms of a tow vehicle, DB is searching for a black Chevy Duramax 4X4 to pull the AS with. Everyone has been so friendly on this forum, and I'm learning lots of stuff! Really looking foward to meeting some of you in person.
Tell old "DB" ( I guess that's short for "da boy" to hold off on the black Chevy. He should consider a white Chevy instead.

Speaking of WIDE Bodies
Ya see the black will absorb and retain heat to a greater degree thereby increasing your heat load. And as we all know heat weighs, and yall are concerned about storage and as we all know stuff weighs, and as you need to know weight is a real big deal in the airstream world (not to mention the womens world). i.e it all depends on the disgronificated capillary ratio of your rear end to your belt rail notwithstanding the universally accepted quadrum of the planetary gear allignment in the differentially encased pumpkin of the Chevy.
Offhand I don't know the actual cubic storage to poundage differentiation that the white over black Chevy will afford yall, but I am sure some member will clarify this, (perhaps the "King o' Karma") (He knows everything).
If help is not swiftly forthcoming just have "da Boy" (ol'DB) to ask the Chevy salesman to calculate in BTUs the differences.
I know in our case we were able to squeeze in 3 more 6-packs and my extra pair of Tony Lamas plus two calf ropes and a pound of tongue in 'cheek'.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:18 AM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Kidding aside, avoid the Black. It is a nightmare to keep clean and after a year or two every little scratch will show. Going with a lighter color will eliminate this as well as lighten your BTU load
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
Kidding aside, avoid the Black. It is a nightmare to keep clean and after a year or two every little scratch will show. Going with a lighter color will eliminate this as well as lighten your BTU load
As someone who went from a white pickup to a black pickup, I can attest to this. BTW, anybody want to help me wash and wax my Dakota? It has been almost a week, and it shows...
Terry
Old 02-13-2004, 05:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Feedback

I went to a chevy dealer 6weeks ago, more to try to win the free vehicle (On-Star promo) than to actually buy one.

Since then the salesman has been calling me twice a week.

When he called this afternoon I asked him about the differerance in degronification heat load pumkin belt line stuff.

He said the engineering department has been working on it, but all they can recommend at this time (see service bulletin 105-NJM-16637) if you have a black Duramax chevy is to cover it with aluminum foil, glued down with spray adhesive.
(This SB only covers the Duramax option. Gas chevies see SB 105-njm-16637 rev b.)
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote