Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Lookin for sponsor help

Hello all....

I'm looking for sponsor help and who better to ask then the AS family.

My wife and I are building the first wheelchair/universal accessible trailer. Yes that’s right, first trailer. Unfortunately manufactures have not seen a market or the potential of making trailers in which everyone can use, from elderly, disabled, blind, deaf, and able-bodied people. AS when approached was not to interested in being involved in this vision, instead they said they would see what we produce then talk. You got to love corporations with no adventure, but that’s great. We will show them along with the others.

A little about us. My wife and I both graduated from Arizona State with masters in architecture. During our final year we started to design wheelchair/universal furniture. You can check it out at www.nevisstudio.com. The reason for this adventure is I’m a c5 quadriplegic, meaning I do not have use of my lower body and slight movement in my arms. I use an electric wheelchair to get everywhere. As architecture students we were taught to question everything, so we did. Why does everything for the disabled look so industrial/hospital produce? Why can’t it (whatever 'it' is) have a beautiful aesthetic to it also? How can one build something and no one even know that it’s not for everyone.

This is where we are looking for help. We are going to build an advanced state-of-the-art AS trailer. We have a couple of early sponsors such as...MTX (is supplying an advanced surround sound system) Innovative Mobility (helping turn the front door into a drawbridge/wheelchair ramp) and us Nevis Studio (doing all the work...hehehe). We are looking for any help. Companies we are currently trying to get help from...Kohler (interior furnishings) Monster Garage (putting a air suspension system on axle and more), we have not heard back from them yet so anything goes. If anyone can help or put us in contact with anyone who might be interested, we would be very grateful.

Thank You
Rich & Cheryl
nevisstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:15 AM   #2
Craftsman

Thumbs up Wheelchair Accessible Trailer

Hi,
Sounds like an idea to me. I 'm a cabinet and furniture maker and was an art student in another life. I have a love of Airstreams and would be interested in helping. I'm not sure what I could do from a distance but I'm open.
Jack
Old 04-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Best of luck with it Rich!

I look foward to seeing Cheryl and your results and final product.

I wish we lived in the same city. I would love to help out with somthing like this. I know how to do that suspension and get the coach into the dirt without altering it's appearence. I just am not good at drawing or computer art. I would just have to do it. Maybe I can build a model of it and then send you some pictures so you can see what I have in mind.

If you don't have any luck with Jesse (and the 4x4 community has had some issues with him and the BS around that bronco and I hang on a board where a couple of the people and venders that were involved in that hang) let me know. I'll see if I can find a 4x4 shop or people in that area that have some fabrication tallent and would be willing to take that on. 4x4 community lives for this sort of stuff. Good people.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
You know what.....try monster house instead. It may be more of their bag and get you some of the interrior stuff done. Monster Garage is not going to have enough to do to the coach. They are looking for difficult project that will take a week. They are building vehciles from the ground up. What your looking for is a few hours at best once they figure it out. It's not enough work for them.

Monster house...Heck they would finish out the whole coach. JUST STRESS how important it is to keep the weight down.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:56 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevisstudio
Hello all....
snip
Why does everything for the disabled look so industrial/hospital produce? Why can’t it (whatever 'it' is) have a beautiful aesthetic to it also? How can one build something and no one even know that it’s not for everyone.
snip
Thank You
Rich & Cheryl
I think that's agreat idea. It seems there's always been someone in my family who was in a wheelchair, and it is depressing the way all the special items they need to use tend to make the house look like a rehab center. It struck me when my Granadmother had a stroke a few years ago that it all serves to remind her that she's not like everyone else anymore (as if she needs any more reminders of her new limitations), but it never occured to me that something could be done about it. I think that's a great stance to take, and I really wish you luck.

You might consider talking to the folks at Zips hot rod shop. I've been out of rodding for a while, but they were the big name in Portland. There's also a lot of independant rod building shops in Portland. Someone in town would no doubt be interested in getting involved in such a project. After all, those lowriders can take an SUV and make it dance, surely they could make an AS bow down.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
What a great project, I will be asking a few friends at Pacific North West National Labs about helping on this type of project. they do get involved with these projects once in a while.
I was wondering, why are you trying to put air suspension on the trailer? Is it to try and get the trailer to squat?
It seems to me that if the door was done correctly it could be made both a regular door and ADA compatible. Hinged on the bottom for ramp access. In the ramp frame a door hinged on the left for standard door use.
Go get'em, this is a keeper project.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Guys, do you have photos or any sort of prospectus to offer? I have, uh, contacts at a major metropolitan daily & could lend a hand with getting publicity. This is not something I offer lightly, because people are always trying to foist something on me that THEY think should be in the newspaper, but your project sounds like a wonderful story that anybody would be happy to write about. We own the LA Times too, though not the Oregonian, unfortunately.

I'm also pretty expert at putting together press packets that make their way to an editor rather than a trash bin, though in this case it might be easier for me to just make a few calls.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Red face Thanks guys!!

Thanks guys!!!
It is Cheryl (Rich's wife).

For the last 6 weeks I have been so busy with other projects, the AS was put on hold. We did some soul searching this past weekend, and decided we might have to ask for some help. For me, doing all the work on the weekends by myself, could take some time.

We have been doing tons of research though. MonsterGarage won't even reply back unfortunately. I don't know if MonsterHouse would do it since it is such a small project. Also, you never know what might happen with those guys. I was thinking it would be cool if the airstream could float on some sort of platform, too! Rich also has a hard time getting into a boat to fish, so we could just make it a camping/boating/fishing AS and launch it this summer!! (sort of kidding, but if i could do it i would) That is where the MonsterGarage idea came from.

If we could just build a modern, groovy prototype - that would be fantastic. We have been working on a viable design, now it is the matter of just building the thing. Think about the possibilities for everyone.

Since i am a photographer also, we have been in contact with the editor of the new AS Mag that is coming out this summer. He wants to have us in the fall issue. We are too late for the summer. A writer friend is working on the story. As far as images, we don't have anything yet except trailer documentation. And what a mess it is right now!!!! I have been stripping the paint off the interior and making quite a mess. The whole thing is stripped down, waiting for me to replace the floor. So many other things have had to be in place first, like finding out about the axel system, etc. we have been on a continuous hold.

Thanks Summerkid! We would appreciate more press coverage. It might be a little too early since we don't have anything done yet. I will keep you posted. The more AS family people involved the better!!!

Thanks everyone! Back to work. Rich called me and asked if i had looked at the airstream forum recently and having not had time, this was a pleasant surprise.

I wish I worked for the airlines. I would buy everyone a ticket.

Cheryl
Old 04-03-2004, 08:56 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the replies…

Craftsman (jack) – we could definitely use your insight….we are looking at doing some curved cabinet fronts….our materials will either be wood or plastic….could you tell me some plus/minus’s about either one…

Stefrbrts – if you know of any shop who would help sponsor that would be great…im even willing to drive it to WA if I need to…..please keep me posted…

Janet’s husband – thank you for looking into Pacific North West National Labs…let kow if I need to do anything…..

And

Summerkid – let me know what you need and consider it there…

Thank you for all the great leads and help towards our cause….its going to work…

Thanks
Rich
Old 04-03-2004, 03:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Its sounds like a concept that is long overdue. What are the parameters for your project? I understand access into the trailer, but not sure about the other features. Should the sink and the rest of the galley area be ADA compliant? The dining table should be the proper height but how much help do you need in putting it up and down. A 34' trailer would have given you much more room in which to work. Do you plan on taking showers if so how much room would you need. I would love to play with the details it sounds exciting. Just providing space for wheelchair access up and down the trailer would be a challenge. I am assuming that the trailer would be gutted and made over. Making the bed in our 34' can be a challenge and we can do it standing up and leaning over. I would love to hear more about how you see the final product.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

thank you for all the replies....

hey rick....
we are gutting evrything and starting over...this means an open shower where i can roll under..the cabnets all correct clearance below with the counters being low enough...we are looking at a couch/sofa, where the couch will be on a pivot and can rotate together into a bed...we are looking at low-voltage-wire lighting, this is a nice little design feature....and so on.....

let me know if you have any suggestions....

thanks
rich
Old 04-08-2004, 04:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Sounds like a great idea.

Sunline Coach, just down the road from my home here in SE PA, makes travel trailers for people with special needs. To get some ideas you might wish to visit the special needs link: www.sunlinerv.com/modifications.asp

That is on their website showing a virtual reality image of a modified unit and a sample floorplan.

John
Old 04-08-2004, 06:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Rich I am from the "old school" and did not get on board with AutoCad as at the time I was doing more field work than desk. If you don't mind "blueprints" done with graphite I would be happy to do some of the drafting work for you. We will be on the road from mid April to mid June.
Rick
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:48 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Hi,

flyfisher I couldn't access the site as you had listed, but found the info here:
http://www.sunlinerv.com/page.cfm?modifications&i=2004
As you can see similar but different!!

Hi Rick,
Got your e-mail this morning, thanks. I'll be talking to you soon!!

Take care,
Sean
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:51 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

thanks for the trailer link.

it is a perfect example of what we dont want to do...

they made it accessible by widening the door and removing the tub so one cn get to the toilet...thats great but now i cant shower....now im camping....

we are trying to push the envelope on the vission of what accessible/universal design..

love the feedback
thanks
rich
Old 04-12-2004, 08:12 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
thanks for the trailer link.

it is a perfect example of what we dont want to do...

they made it accessible by widening the door and removing the tub so one cn get to the toilet...thats great but now i cant shower....now im camping....

we are trying to push the envelope on the vission of what accessible/universal design..

love the feedback
thanks
rich
Rich,
Check out some of Sunline's other floor plans, they have at least one that has a roll in shower. At least Sunline is making them available. As you found out most manufacturers are not in the least interested. FWIW Coleman had a wheelchair acessible popup back in the early 80's before Fleetwood bought them out.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Rich also has a hard time getting into a boat to fish, so we could just make it a camping/boating/fishing AS and launch it this summer!! (sort of kidding, but if i could do it i would.)
Not that far-fetched, actually. Check this out...

That's the 45-foot Terra Wind, complete with an area for taking your jet ski along! Now, at between $850K and $1.2 mil, it ain't for everyone, but there's a large deck on the back for fishing. Based on Airstream's monocoque design, the whole Airstream-as-boat may not be that crazy after all. Remember that early 80's Disney movie, (maybe a remake of Swiss Family Robinson?) where a family crashed their giant old airplane into an island, then escaped by turning it into a boat? Same concept!

Back to reality: How did things ever turn out with the door entrance? Did you try tackling the drawbridge concept, or are you going a different route? Can't wait to see some pictures.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

hey brad..

door is coming along but looking for an item n you might/might-not be able to help...

im putting the door on hinge a the bottom of the door so it will open lika a drawbridge, but having a tough time finding a wench/wire-pulley system small enough to hide yet strong enough to lift....

any suggestions..

thanks
rich
Old 04-15-2004, 02:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How about a gas spring like those used on the rear hatches of cars or SUV's? A lot smaller and lighter than a pulley system. I've also seen a counterbalance used for heavy tools in industry, basically a cable wound drum with an internal spring to help lift, those would be from industrial suppliers.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote