Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Long Time....New AS

Well - it has been a long time since I have been on. From the previous posts - I outlined the issues I had with the vandalism to my 79 AS INT'l... well that all happened in Jan of this year and so yesterday - I traded it in for a new 2004 Safari Model C. Something to be said about the smell and looks of "new" over everything else. Expect delivery here in about 4 weeks. So who all out here in the Seattle area wants to do a AS outting?

Hope all finds everyone well
Old 07-27-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Hey Jody,
Glad to see you back. I read with great interest your tow posts abour your jeep. My wife and I are looking at A/S that we can pull with our 02 Jeep grand v-8. Even though It is rated for 6500# and has the factory tow options I have several safety concerns. Short wheel base, high center of gravity, high reving v-8 etc) It was really hard to find out that my "tow prep" was a little over rated! The advice I got from this forum saved us much anguish. You can check the posts under "what A/S can I pull with our jeep grand"

For now we are looking at used 19' A/S. But, we really want to look at the A/S you just ordered!! What options did you decide on?? Hoping to live through your eyes....
Vajeep
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Thanks!

Well I got the 25' footer with all the 'loaded options'. I liked the '6C' version simply because of the dinette area - and when I think about my '79 - I never had 'space' to hook up a laptop without having to move it everytime to get the front sofa out to the bed formation. I really liked the floorplan - and the fact that it included the full fridge vs the small cube that most of the AS models seem to have now.

I also looked at the CCD versions but while they are 'stylish' the workmanship felt half-baked and like major interior pieces were ordered and assembled by IKEA. (Not to offend anyone - but I never had any luck with long-lasting IKEA furniture)...

As for the towing - I actually think my Grand can handle this one. I towed about the same weight from PA to WA when I brought my mustang back. Weight Distribution and anti-sway made the difference. Granted it wasn't fun going up the mountains but taking the Jeep out of overdrive and down a gear or two really made it bareable. Still - I have my F-350 so for long trips and I would use that. None the less will post the towing experience here if the Grand has any success.

www.wbcb.comwbcb.com