Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Living with CCD

Here's our experience living with CCD lockers for a couple of years.

They are cool looking but....a back light melted our plastic CD case when it was placed on the shelf too close to the light. At 5'3" my wife always had to use a step stool reach inside the lockers. Everything stored in the front of the lockers showed through the opaque doors. While traveling we kept the locker sliding doors from sliding open by securing them with hook and loop tethers from an office supple store.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We looked very hard at the CCD when we bought our 2005 Safari LS. SuEllyn really liked the panoramic windows. The main thing that we didn't care for in the CCD's was the upper cabinets and their sliding doors. They were not as accessible with their sliding doors. We ended up buying the Safari LS because we liked the upper cabinets much better.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Someone posted here quite awhile ago that they used rubber stoppers in the finger holes to keep the doors from sliding open while traveling.

We've never had a problem with them and don't have to do anything.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Ditto. We've only had our CCD for 6 weeks but in 4 trips have had no problems. We laid down some of that rubber waffle shelf mat and use some covered plastic bins to put stuff in. Nothing spilled yet.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Hacienda Heights , California
I love my CCD

What I used for the sliding doors is a paper napkin folded in between the two doors and works like a charm, If I ever loose one, I have 10 more...
We are new at RVing and must say that the modern look the AS won us over...
atomasich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I used the rubber stopper trick, but then cut a few 1/4" wood dowels and dropped them into the sliding door tracks. If you cut them to the right length, the doors are solid as a rock.

Just a little quirk in the design. I still love the CCD!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
We do the paper napkin trick. Have to say that it is "low tech" but does the trick. When we reach camp, they are the first ones used. No waste. I have thought of the dowel mod and may do that in the future but with rolls of paper towels so handy it's not high on my list of mods.

I have had to used toggle bolts on the bathroom items like the towel ring holder - a 3 inch wood screw from the factory into quarter inch fiberglass just does not cut it. I would of thought they would have glued a wood block in there. I will fix the toilet flush spayer that way this weekend. BTW - my stove hood pulled from the underside of the cabinets the same way - same 3 inch screw, only into a thin ply surface, I glued two blocks in there for support.

I like the interior aluminum look and it's what drew us to the CCD. Our 22' FB is exactly what we were looking for - I had the double axle requirement and we wanted a smaller size. Could of used the 25' but right now the 22' is perfect.

We like the color choice of burnt orange and baby blue. The PO had the sense to find matching colored dishes to fit in with the reflection from the indirect lighting and we use those most of all.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
We never had a cabinet come open in a year of full timing. Not sure why not.

No loose screws either, other than the cabinet over the bed. That was my fault: I had it completely full of books. Bad idea. Once we screwed the cabinet back in, I moved all the heavy stuff down low, and the light stuff up high. Should have been that way all along.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Have had both CCD & Safari

I gotta tell you the upper CCD lockers area about an inch deeper front to back and hold more. The Safari cabinets have dividers so storing something big like pillows or quilts upstairs doesn't work. I too use the paper towel trick to keep mine from sliding while towing.

You can see what's inside so keeping the upper cabinets neat can be an issue in the CCD.

But hey, both are Airstreams so both are cool!

Paula
Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We use cork stoppers in our sliders... works great. And we like seeing through the frosted plastic... looks kind of cool in my opinion. One warning though...... We had towels stacked high in one cabinet, and the halogen cabinet light scorched the fabric... left it pretty charred. I can see a potential fire hazard if you aren't careful. So.... we're careful, and absolutely love our 22' CCD.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
VERY HIGH on the to-do list this summer is an LED conversion of ALL of the halogen lights in the overhead lockers. Lot's of light.....NO HEAT!

I just found a nice little fixture that is a direct replacement for the halogens. Snip the wires, connect the new one, push into place.......and you're done! Almost no amp draw as well.........great for boondocking too.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
I just found a nice little fixture that is a direct replacement for the halogens.
Can you provide a link to those fixtures?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Welcome to ITC Incorporated's RV Website

I'm not sure if they sell to the public. If not, I'll be setting up an ad in the classifieds for these shortly.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #14

2004 19' International CCD
Lakewood , Colorado
lewster, I'm a newbie and apologies if I'm veering off the thread. I have an '04 19' Bambi International CCD and have been frustrated with the reefer cooling fan noise and constant run and amp draw down. Airstream (or maybe my local dealer) wants to sell me a package with the thermostat unit and a new fan, but all I want to try is first to replace the thermo unit (which I lost and don't know specs on). Can you please help me identify whatever that thermostat/coupler/limiter is, and how i might just be able to pick one up seperately rather than packaged with another noisy fan??
leejirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Leejirik, Here is the thread you want. This fix great! Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Nice job from that link, but there is an even BETTER fix that takes WAY less time to install. One of the Forum members is in the RV refrigeration business and has made a kit complete with thermostat, plastic plenum and silent fan.

You can find him under the name of 'rv_cool'. I have installed 4 of these kits, 2 on 16's, one on my 19CCD, and one on an SOB. They work great and completely eliminate the noise and poor performance of your OEM fridge! The 16 CCD owners could not believe how much colder the fridge ran and how QUIET it was after the install!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I checked out RV Cool's products. Looks great. And it doesn't look like leejirik is veering off thread. It's about living with CCD's and fan noise is part of it. Veering off thread is pointing out that I've changed my aviator from surfer boy to camping boy. Looks good, eh? Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I always figured the lights in the CCD overhead cabinets were more of a designer touch for the showroom - I never use mine when on a trip with stuff in the cabinets.

I installed lights that are half the wattage of the originals - slightly less light, and way less battery drain and heat. I left a couple of circuits with the original wattage for when we are in a campground with hookups.

Also, I installed the Silenex fans in the refer compartment a couple of years ago, but without all the duct work that dbtw installed (I think the extra ducts are a good idea, just don't have the time). Even so, the refer stays much cooler, and the switch wiring for two speeds is very useful - high speed (and very little noise) during the day, and low speed (and totally silent from inside the trailer) at night.

A lot of the fun with these trailers is making these improvements - really good ideas on this forum!
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
We love our 2004 22' CCD. We like the wet bath configuration because it saves valuable living space. It's sad that the 22' CCD has been discontinued. The new 23' has a dry bath. I expect alot of people prefer the wet bath as well.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #20
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
We love our 2004 22' CCD. We like the wet bath configuration because it saves valuable living space. It's sad that the 22' CCD has been discontinued. The new 23' has a dry bath. I expect alot of people prefer the wet bath as well.
You know, without any experience we wanted (and got) a dry bath. I gotta say I could wish for a wet bath option now. Valuable living space is right! You simply get more room to move around in the bath, and an extra closet outside the bath would be nice...

Don't get me wrong: I do love the little guy I have -- it's a keeper!

Cheers,
-jd.