Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
KnG
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Dallas , Texas
Question Lifting the Suspension on a 22' Sport

Greetings Airstreamers,

We have a 2016 Sport 22, and we've had some problems with the trailer bottoming out. We've been looking into options for raising the suspension, including the Dexter Axle lift kit (~3"gain) or replacing the beam with the current 10 degree bars for a new beam with 45 degree bars (also ~3" height increase). A local mechanic is quoting us around $2000 for the either option, which seems pretty expensive. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice? This is our first Airstream, so we're flying a bit blind. We have some raw land where we'd like to dry camp, so we definitely need some additional clearance!

Thank you!!
Kim and Gary
KnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Part of the "zen" of an Airstream is the low to the ground design. That helps for paved roads. It is a bit of an issue for rough roads. The most basic answer is to buy a different design. That's much easier said than done.

Based on years of rough roads, I'd go for more like 6" than 3". That's going to involve steps in addition to lift kits.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Message member "Boxite" here on the Forums. He has installed a lift kit on his 22 Sport.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
Message member "Boxite" here on the Forums. He has installed a lift kit on his 22 Sport.

Yep there is a couple of threads on the subject. Even specifically for the 22. Google - Lift Kit Airstream. Also there is a good video from The More We Explore on the install on a larger AS.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just remember that as you lift it (even by 3 or 6 inches) you reduce the stability of the trailer. You can also reduce it in the same way by putting your $10M gold bar collection in the overhead bins

Bob
Old 07-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
$2000 is way too much to pay for this. The lift kit is less than $150 and it should take a professional mechanic with the right tools a few hours.
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I suspect that for a *lot* less than $2,000 one of the local farmers would be more than happy to smooth out a "road" on your land for you. Even if you boost the trailer, that might still be worth looking into.

Bob
Old 07-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Just remember that as you lift it (even by 3 or 6 inches) you reduce the stability of the trailer. You can also reduce it in the same way by putting your $10M gold bar collection in the overhead bins

Bob
Bob...your imagination is running wild.
There's is absolutely NO detectable difference in that three inch lift. I've done it. I know.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
I concur on the "stability" issue. No difference whatsoever in stability, handling or towing after the lift kit install. Also, $2k for that is mighty steep. It's about a 1.5 hr install at a casual pace and only about $150 in parts, and that's for a tandem axle kit. I sold my other half for half that amount, so look around on the forum, or go in with another Sport owner.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Bob...your imagination is running wild.
There's is absolutely NO detectable difference in that three inch lift. I've done it. I know.
Hi

Well there goes 60 years of now totally disproven Airstream marketing claims.

Bob
Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Marketing speak does not have anything to do with engineering realities.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Two things you may want to try.
1. Increase the wheel and tire size. I took mine from 14" to 15" granted the increase is minimal but it has the additional benefit of more reliable tires. Sell the Marathon tires if that's what you have and never go back! Try this out first and see if that clears most of your problems up. Discount Tire can help you with this, plus the service all across the nation.
If all else fails.
Step 2. The lift kit is a better option and anyone can do the work with 4 jack stands a floor jack and basic wrenches. Just drop one side at a time, install the lift then attach before going to the other side. May take the two of you 4 hours.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #13
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
They were liftin a 22' at airstream Los Angeles with the 3" Dexter when I was there and they said it's just a few hundred dollar job when I asked. They spoke very highly of the lift and said their customers have all been very happy with the added clearance. Apparently they started stockin em cause everyone was bottoming out right there in the dealer driveway.

I had a hi lift dexter axle from the factory on my Casita and the difference between towin that and towin a regular height one was not noticeable. These airstreams are so dang stable, I don't see how a small shift in COG would be noticeable unless you're takin hairpin turns at 60, which I wouldn't recommend.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

Well there goes 60 years of now totally disproven Airstream marketing claims.

Bob
Hi

If you run into an engineer who recommends increasing raising the center of gravity to improve stability ... check his credentials very carefully.

Bob
Old 07-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #15

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Boys, you can argue this till the cows come home. Personal beliefs should guide YOUR decision to lift or not. Personally I'm a believer in lifting. Lifted our 27FB , no difference in towing other than not dragging arse through curb cuts. Just finished lifting out new to us 30'. Just because it's right for me doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's not actually an argument, I suspect we are simply talking about different kinds of stability. Take a look at a Ferrari or any other high performance car if you want an example of going low to the ground for good stability in a curve. The "sway" debates are full of people bashing 4x4's that have 2" lifts for the exact same reason.

Bob
Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #17
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Bob is correct it really depends on what ya want. There are folks that lower their Jeeps. It makes me weep but they wanna be able to take curves fast and drive slick on city roads. Ain't what I want but the science is there to use. On the same end if ya know ya ain't gonna be takin curves with your airstream and truck at 60 and ya also know ya need more clearance then raising the COG ain't gonna matter unless ya happen to take too sharp a turn too fast.

At 3" of lift, the only detectable difference would be at the extreme ends of capability. When you're right on the edge of tippin over, then that 3" *might* come in to play. But chances are drivin skill and fast thinkin will determine what happens more than that 3".

If ya stay away from the very limits of your vehicle/trailer capabilities, you'll never notice any of this.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
good discussion titled "How to gain more clearance" you may be interested in.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Hi

If you run into an engineer who recommends increasing raising the center of gravity to improve stability ... check his credentials very carefully.

Bob
No one said anything of the sort... and you're sitting bored at the computer too much looking to pontificate on something at which you've apparently got no experience.

Lifting a Sport has had absolutely no detectable difference in the stability experienced in typical towing. (Not to mention the fact that absolutely NO such cautions, not even a mention, are offered in the Lift-Kit literature either.... doubtless something that would be clearly annunciated in our litigious society these days if it did. Dozens of owners have had nothing but praise for this mod.)

Yes....theoretically .... the stability suffers a hit. In reality, however, there is no detectable difference and if one DID experience any problem with stability of a lifted Airstream.... they have no business towing anything more sophisticated than a child's pull-toy!

It's the BEST thing I've done to my 22' Sport Airstream.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #20

2017 22' Sport
Eugene , Oregon
Lift Kit Installation

I purchased the lift kit for our 2017 22FB from e-trailer and had it installed at local shop for around $200, which included rerouting the LP line and painting the axle/lift kit. I generally do my own mechanical work, but I lacked the supports to do this one safely.

For more clearance and trailering safety, we also changed out the original 15" wheels and tires for 16" wheels and LT tires with pressure sensors.

The lift kit added 2 7/8" and the wheels/tires added 1/2". We tow with a 2003 V8 4Runner and Andersen weight distribution. I towed this trailer prior to the clearance/wheel changes and after the modifications. There is no difference in how it trailers.

Before adding the kit, I spoke to Airstream in Ohio regarding the warranty. (The AS dealers in Portland in Eugene told me the lift kit would void the AS warranty.) AS in Ohio said adding the lift kit would only void the warranty for the specific parts. In this case, it would be the axle and LP line. Since Dexter made the axle and kit, I called them and was told they would still warranty the axle. That leaves me on my own for the LP line.

Given where we travel, these clearance modifications has been invaluable. If you don't travel off road, these modifications can help immensely with gas stations along major interstates.

e-trailer only sells the lift kit for dual axle installations. I have the other half of this kit listed in the classifieds, or you can PM me.
Grapevine is offline   Reply With Quote