Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #15

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Boys, you can argue this till the cows come home. Personal beliefs should guide YOUR decision to lift or not. Personally I'm a believer in lifting. Lifted our 27FB , no difference in towing other than not dragging arse through curb cuts. Just finished lifting out new to us 30'. Just because it's right for me doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's not actually an argument, I suspect we are simply talking about different kinds of stability. Take a look at a Ferrari or any other high performance car if you want an example of going low to the ground for good stability in a curve. The "sway" debates are full of people bashing 4x4's that have 2" lifts for the exact same reason.

Bob

Old 07-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #17
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Bob is correct it really depends on what ya want. There are folks that lower their Jeeps. It makes me weep but they wanna be able to take curves fast and drive slick on city roads. Ain't what I want but the science is there to use. On the same end if ya know ya ain't gonna be takin curves with your airstream and truck at 60 and ya also know ya need more clearance then raising the COG ain't gonna matter unless ya happen to take too sharp a turn too fast.

At 3" of lift, the only detectable difference would be at the extreme ends of capability. When you're right on the edge of tippin over, then that 3" *might* come in to play. But chances are drivin skill and fast thinkin will determine what happens more than that 3".

If ya stay away from the very limits of your vehicle/trailer capabilities, you'll never notice any of this.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Steamboat Springs , Colorado
good discussion titled "How to gain more clearance" you may be interested in.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you run into an engineer who recommends increasing raising the center of gravity to improve stability ... check his credentials very carefully.

Bob
No one said anything of the sort... and you're sitting bored at the computer too much looking to pontificate on something at which you've apparently got no experience.

Lifting a Sport has had absolutely no detectable difference in the stability experienced in typical towing. (Not to mention the fact that absolutely NO such cautions, not even a mention, are offered in the Lift-Kit literature either.... doubtless something that would be clearly annunciated in our litigious society these days if it did. Dozens of owners have had nothing but praise for this mod.)

Yes....theoretically .... the stability suffers a hit. In reality, however, there is no detectable difference and if one DID experience any problem with stability of a lifted Airstream.... they have no business towing anything more sophisticated than a child's pull-toy!

It's the BEST thing I've done to my 22' Sport Airstream.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #20

2017 22' Sport
Eugene , Oregon
Lift Kit Installation

I purchased the lift kit for our 2017 22FB from e-trailer and had it installed at local shop for around $200, which included rerouting the LP line and painting the axle/lift kit. I generally do my own mechanical work, but I lacked the supports to do this one safely.

For more clearance and trailering safety, we also changed out the original 15" wheels and tires for 16" wheels and LT tires with pressure sensors.

The lift kit added 2 7/8" and the wheels/tires added 1/2". We tow with a 2003 V8 4Runner and Andersen weight distribution. I towed this trailer prior to the clearance/wheel changes and after the modifications. There is no difference in how it trailers.

Before adding the kit, I spoke to Airstream in Ohio regarding the warranty. (The AS dealers in Portland in Eugene told me the lift kit would void the AS warranty.) AS in Ohio said adding the lift kit would only void the warranty for the specific parts. In this case, it would be the axle and LP line. Since Dexter made the axle and kit, I called them and was told they would still warranty the axle. That leaves me on my own for the LP line.

Given where we travel, these clearance modifications has been invaluable. If you don't travel off road, these modifications can help immensely with gas stations along major interstates.

e-trailer only sells the lift kit for dual axle installations. I have the other half of this kit listed in the classifieds, or you can PM me.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #21
KnG
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Dallas , Texas
Thanks so much Grapevine. We would be possibly interested in buying your other half of the lift kit. We'll be in touch.