Old 06-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Just an "aside" here....I can see the day coming when my wife won't be able to enjoy travel. We are going to have to move to independent living, I think.

This means our second car (Jeep GC) is totally unncecessary--it is now by the way--but I want to keep the Expedition and tt....is this crazy... I guess what I'm saying is "after an Airstream ?????" guess for me nothing.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Silvertwinky--- Please don't misunderstand me ,but why are you interested? Reading between the lines it sounds as though you're having a little remorse and looking for someone to confirm you made the right choice. I enjoy your input here on the forum ,it just seems strange you would hang out here if your heart was in another place, or is it? Just wondering--Pieman
Silvertwinky was a great contributor here. When he announced he could not pass up an offer for an SOB several members here asked him not to be a stranger and he was more than welcome on this forum. So here he is and asking what I think is an interesting question.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
There is no rule that I know of that says you have to own an Airstream to be a member here. The common thread is that we all like them.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:14 PM   #18
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via MSN to airstream6666 Send a message via Yahoo to airstream6666
I've owned Airstreams for almost thirty years, except for a 7-year period in the 1990s when I lived on Oahu. I had lived there for two years before, and knew that I would not have a use for a travel trailer. The important thing here is that I had no other experience with travel trailers. Before my first purchase, I did look for a long time at Argosy motor homes when Airstream did not make one, and I also considered a GMC MH. In both cases, I actually camped in the motor homes as a part of my consideration.

I didn't even look at any other manufacturer's products for my first ten years as a TT camper.

I was not, BTW, a "family" camper. I worked as a technical professional in the hazardous waste industry, and have always been a gypsy. Since my separation from the submarine service shortly after the Vietnam armistice, I have worked all over the country (and in Canada) and have called a TT "home" for most of the time. I've also lived on a sailboat for one year, and still have a love of sailing.

As I've grown older. the reasons for my first selection of an Airstream have been forgotten. Now, the Airstream is just what I know. I still like some motor homes (particularly, Bluebirds) and undertaking a complete conversion of a diesel bus seems particularly appealing. I guess I never really got van customizing out of my system.

As I said, I was not a "family" camper. I was one of the folks many of you might have helped "run off" in campgrounds over the years maybe because of loud music, suspicious odors, or general principle. But I have learned to behave, I suppose, and I certainly do appreciate "family" camping even if my own marriage never produced children.

Because, IMHO, "family" camping is really where it's at.

It’s not where you've gone or what product you use to get there it's who you share the experiences with.

Johnny
Old 06-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Silvertwinky was a great contributor here. When he announced he could not pass up an offer for an SOB several members here asked him not to be a stranger and he was more than welcome on this forum. So here he is and asking what I think is an interesting question.
Davydd---Just a word to clarify my post you are responding to. I don't think I inplied Silvertwinky was not a great contributor or that he was not welcome. I remain in agreement about both. My responce was because it WAS an interesting question, perhaps in a different way to me than you.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Davydd---Just a word to clarify my post you are responding to. I don't think I inplied Silvertwinky was not a great contributor or that he was not welcome. I remain in agreement about both. My responce was because it WAS an interesting question, perhaps in a different way to me than you.
Mike, No problem. It is just that sometimes trolls come into forums to shake things up with questions like Silvertwinky's and members start to question motivation. I think not the case here and just wanted to point out Silvertwinky's credentials and history.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
I just had to ask, and I don't want to start anything real serious here, but...is 666 a model number?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

For me AS has been a great introduction, I like it... but need more space. I may consider a post 96 wide body 34' with slideout, but in that price range, you have a lot of other options.... sure, AS looks way neater than anything else, but.... there are other viable choices.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I stopped today at an RV Resort in the mountains of N. Ga. We were told our Airstream was too old for their park. It was amazing to me as my 20 plus yr old looked better than some of their 10 yr old rigs. Just shows to go ya.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
I have owned 3 sobs followed by 3 Airstream trailers, 1 Argosy, and 1 Airstream 1983 moho. I can't fit in anything comfortably...though we did live for several months in a 34 foot excella along with an sob moho I borrowed from the in-laws. Usually when camping I have small tents surrounding my trailer that contain my offspring, which is fine as long as I am not in a place with bears, poisonous critters, etc. But occasionally, I have been very tempted to buy one of those sob bunkhouse models that sleep 10, which is technically still not enough, but the other kid could sleep in a playpen. I have thought and thought about how to add a bunch of bunks to a gutted Airstream but with the curved roof it really cuts down on the space. I asked an Airstream rep if they ever considered building a bunkhouse model and he basically hemmed and hawed and said no. Guess he knows what I know....by the time they built a new one it would cost more than this family of 11 could afford...I would have to wait until it got 25 or 30 years old to buy it....by then, I ASSUME my current children will have left...

It is not just Airstream6666 and AlansD who they won't let in....even though I AM very strict with my children so they behave, most campgrounds charge me PER HEAD per day!!!!so that it is too expensive to stay. I have finally decided that I will just keep buying Airstreams/Argosys and fixing them up and sitting in them in the driveway and when I feel too squished like literal sardines in a tin can sell them. Unless anyone KNOWS of a cheap one out there that sleeps lots...I heard a rumor that there used to be one owned by a rock band that slept a lot....