Old 01-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
The dealer may have stated it was a consignment sale but if it is on their paper, and they did all the signing, AND they try to weasel out of the repair issues, I think I'd call a lawyer for some advice. And the better business bureau. This is a very large dealer and very visible and they will not want a lot of noise around if they are not living up to their obligations, or are not treating people fairly. Certainly there's a buyer-beware factor when buying anything used, but there's also a good business factor in there somewhere too.

As a note and I cannot remember how far back, but I do remember seeing an Airstream in their lot, fairly new, had US plates on it, I think Washington State, and it had been in an accident. This may have been longer that yours was there, I honestly cannot say for sure. My memory, of late, is not what it used to be a few weeks back, but just something to be aware of. YOu may want to talk to the prior owners and ask them why they traded it in so soon after buying it.

I am very interested, as I'm sure the others are, in how well you are taken care of.

Barry

Old 01-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
vancouver , british columbia
an update on leak

thank you for all the replies. I believe that this trailer was purcharsed in August 03 so the 2 year warranty is definately over. Took the trailer back in a few days ago. The service department had a look at it and the leak was not coming from a vent. It was coming in through a seam or something like that. The dealer said they would fix all the damage and it would be better than coming from the airstream factory. I certainly hope they are right. I want them to replace everything thats been damaged and use all airstream parts. At least the body is aluminum so they only need to replace the fiberglass for that part i believe. I don't know a whole lot about trailers but i hope this dealer does a good job. Do electric hitches generally break? Because 3 days after it was bought, went to show it to some friends and the hitch blew. WAs told the trailer was being sold due to a divorce. Is it unreasonable to ask for them to fix other things that weren't part of the contract? Such as the screen on one window needs to be replaced? Not sure the timeline that its in the shop but have insurance on it and will not be able to use it. Weather is fairly mild and could be camping if it didn't rain so much. If i'm not happy with the work is it unreasonable to return it? Hopefully not but... They don't do returns but could make exceptions.

Curious, would there be any way to find out if it had been in an accident. i'm sure the guy is service dept stated that this trailer had been there for at least a year.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You might try

Quote:
Originally Posted by annw
thank you for all the replies. I believe that this trailer was purchased in August 03 so the 2 year warranty is definitely over. Took the trailer back in a few days ago. The service department had a look at it and the leak was not coming from a vent. It was coming in through a seam or something like that. The dealer said they would fix all the damage and it would be better than coming from the Airstream factory. I certainly hope they are right. I want them to replace everything thats been damaged and use all Airstream parts. At least the body is aluminum so they only need to replace the fiberglass for that part i believe. I don't know a whole lot about trailers but i hope this dealer does a good job. Do electric hitches generally break? Because 3 days after it was bought, went to show it to some friends and the hitch blew. Was told the trailer was being sold due to a divorce. Is it unreasonable to ask for them to fix other things that weren't part of the contract? Such as the screen on one window needs to be replaced? Not sure the time-line that its in the shop but have insurance on it and will not be able to use it. Weather is fairly mild and could be camping if it didn't rain so much. If I'm not happy with the work is it unreasonable to return it? Hopefully not but... They don't do returns but could make exceptions.

Curious, would there be any way to find out if it had been in an accident. I'm sure the guy is service dept stated that this trailer had been there for at least a year.
annw,
At this point, I really don't see what you have to lose by asking them to repair the screen..It's not that costly of an item..it just might take time for them to get the replacement in from the factory..(if they have to order it)
I've alway told people this one important thing..
Make sure the floor-plan suits your needs and lifestyle.
As to returning it.That's a judgment call that only you can decide. I would say this in defense of the Airstream products..You haven't seen the problems that you can get into with some of the other brands..I almost have to say the worse Airstream I ever seen was pale in comparison to what you might run into with some of the other SOB out there..
As for the electric hitch, did the in-line fuse blow or was it the electric motor itself?? It's not common but, the fuse is design to blow..there have been some issues with wire being pinched in the past. Have your tech check the routing of the wire.
Good luck to you in all your resolutions..
ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote