Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Late Model AS - Changing MW for MW Convection

Hi,

n a late model Airstream (2015 or newer), has anyone i swapped out the microwave for a convection oven?

Seems like it should be fairly easy. Simply buy the model AS uses and replace the microwave with the microwave convection model.

Thoughts? Have I oversimplified it?

thanks
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Answering a question ypu didn't ask. I have the microwave convection oven... and as a conventional OVEN it's not all that great. It takes forever to preheat and heats up the whole trailer. And I don't see that convection is faster than a plain old gas oven. If you don't have room for both a gas oven and a microwave decide which you will use most, and choose that appliance. I am using a Dutch oven to bake bread, etc.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
We have the MW/Convection also. I like having the choice. Best are egg rolls with convection. Mostly use the MW. Don't have an oven, so convection was a must.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Have the microwave/convection on my 2004. It sits enclosed on top of my food storage cabinet. Here's a picture. According to the manufacture's manual the oven requires a 15 amp circuit, also there was a built-in kit available. The kit includes ducts and finish trim strips. I've never pulled the finish trim kit to see, but I know there are no outside ducts. According to the instructions the oven needs 2 inches of clearance on the sides top and rear of the oven for air circulation purposes. Have used the convection sparingly. I know my turn table always runs whether using the microwave or convection feature. This makes the sizing of your pans critical. The gas oven in my Safari was primary storage for pans and had some issue regarding burning or overcooking food even though you were set for the correct temp and timing. The convection feature on this oven however does speed up cooking. Note that the fan used to ventilate the oven will continue to run even after the oven is off until interior temperatures of the oven are reduced. Common usage for us is the microwave feature.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3063.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	342481  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote