Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 05:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uniontown , Ohio
Talking King-Size Bed

Has Airstream produced a trailer with a king-size bed?

Or, is there an elegant way to convert to a king-size?

(I'm a big tall guy. I don't like a queen, and I didn't marry the most beautiful woman in the world to sleep in a twin bed like it's the Dick Van Dyke show.)
hufhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How big is the Pleather sofabed in the older Classics... say 2000-2010?
That might be the best approximation of a king size bed that does not eat too much space to live with whenever you aren't in it.

Would not try to put a king in the bedroom of anything shy of 27 feet. A fixed king basically takes the bedroom wall to wall. No walk around room. YOU get the sheet changing duty because you'd have to wrestle the mattress up one corner at a time to put on the bottom sheet, and again to tuck in the rest.

A midnight bathroom run? Fighting free of the covers.. levitating over your partner.. not great.

Usable space during the day? You might consider twins, with some kind of pull out extension and a 3rd mattress to make a "triple-wide twin" but you would need to do something clever about the nightstand and have the middle mattress somehow not have a curved corner. And everything would have to fit tightly or your bodies would tend to fall in the cracks. And conventional bedding would need to yield to sleeping bags. And then there is setting up and taking it down daily. Meh.

Good luck hunting.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I believe you could get a king size bed into a 25FB if you took out the nightstand in the front corner. I have a "real" 80" queen sized mattress in mine. I believe the FC25FB queen has the longest bedroom in the fleet with its full 8'6" length. I specifically chose a 25' queen model so I could install an 80" queen mattress for my 6'5" length. With a king mattress, you will still have plenty of room to walk along the foot of the bed and bathroom side of the bed. With my 80" queen mattress, I really didn't lose any functionality versus the "camper" queen.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hufhouse View Post
Has Airstream produced a trailer with a king-size bed?

Or, is there an elegant way to convert to a king-size?

(I'm a big tall guy. I don't like a queen, and I didn't marry the most beautiful woman in the world to sleep in a twin bed like it's the Dick Van Dyke show.)
The problem with a king size bed is the dimension of the space. The widest trailer is just over 96". A king mattress is 76" wide. That only leaves 10" on each side of the bed. My size 15 feet will not fit that space, and my old knees want allow them to turn sideways.

I've gotten used to the fitting my king size self, 6'3" x 260lb, into the RV queen bed.
Feet hang off up to ankles !! Cold feet during winter
Luckily my wife is small to the opposite extreme so I can go diagonal when it's really cold.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
The problem with a king size bed is the dimension of the space. The widest trailer is just over 96". A king mattress is 76" wide. That only leaves 10" on each side of the bed. My size 15 feet will not fit that space, and my old knees want allow them to turn sideways.

I've gotten used to the fitting my king size self, 6'3" x 260lb, into the RV queen bed.
Feet hang off up to ankles !! Cold feet during winter
Luckily my wife is small to the opposite extreme so I can go diagonal when it's really cold.
Alan, you are correct for North-South facing beds. The reason why the 25' queen has the most room for a king bed is because it faces East-West. The king bed will get tucked into the front corner of the bedroom. That will leave 16" of walkway at the foot of the bed and wrapping around to the hallway on the bathroom side of the bed. I'm sure a king mattress would work in a 25' queen model Airstream with the nightstand removed.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
One of my prior trailers had that east/west orientation. It was a narrow body with a full size double mattress. I did not like it because whoever slept in the rear had to tilt their head toward the bed to walk around. Because of my tallness and the roof curvature, I found that maneuver was difficult.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
A king bed is the same length as a queen bed. 80".
The Airstream (and most RV's are "short queens, 75")
Maybe your first move would be to put a extension on the platform and use a real queen.
Or, remove the nightstand on the twins, and fill in the middle.
Of course, you'd have to get up from the foot, but it would be HUGE!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montrose , Colorado
Not sure if you are still looking for an AS with a king-size bed. There was a very limited run of 30' Classic Limited with a Front Bed King. Here is the floor plan.

We have one of the 2008 models. It is so nice to have a real king-size mattress. There is space to walk around three sides on the mattress.

I have attached a floor plan of our trailer.
Attached Images

It is not down in any map; true places never are. ~Herman Melville
DesertStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uniontown , Ohio
Wow! That looks like something we would really love. I'll have to look really hard! That model number is 30FBK, correct? And these were only manufactured in 2008?

Thanks!
hufhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montrose , Colorado
Not sure what years these were made, but I believe it was at least in late 2008 and 2009. The name to look for is 30 FB K Classic Limited or 30 FB King Classic Limited. I have not found this model listed in the specs for 2008 even though ours is titled as a 2008. It could be ours is an early production model and they only officially produced them in 2009.

I have seen, but have not found again, a full page advertisement about the King Size Bed model produced by Airstream.

It is not down in any map; true places never are. ~Herman Melville
DesertStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's a bit hard to see in the image, but I'm not sure that shows a 96" width.

Also consider - there are two versions of the King. One is called a California King. With that version the 96" dimension is the length rather than the width.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 23' Flying Cloud
1999 19' Bambi
Sandia Park , New Mexico
King bed in 25FB

We just upsized from a 23FB to 25FB. The 25 had an aftermarket mattress that was a full size....too small. We ditched it and were about to buy a new queen size mattress when we remembered we had a spare king size sleep number mattress.

We removed the air beds from the mattress packaging (foam paddings, mattress wrapper) and wow... it fit really well for how we sleep. We’ve figured out for my husband who is 6’5” that we can sleep north south instead of east west and it’s way more comfortable. We pack the space between the front of the airstream and the side of the bed with pillows and use that as our headboard. We don’t use a flat sheet but use two twin duvets with covers. For nighttime potty breaks we scoot off the end of the bed instead of trying to walk around the bed. When we tried to walk around, we found we either hit our head on the cabinets or we got snagged on the TV.

23FB is for sale at New Mexico dealer if anyone is interested.
Jody505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:49 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DESERT HOT SPRINGS , California
We currently have a Classic 33 FBT, because we wanted Twin's extra storage bays and are working on configurations for making those twin beds into a king. There are some people on here that do such things, floating ideas we're probably going to utilize.
We love having the hallway in the twin, so we prefer a flexible setup. They are considered XL twin beds, so together they should make nice king bed. First, remove the upper drawer cabinet of nightstand. Base can remain. Add new countertop that's level with the bed lifts at head of bed. Add retractable slats to slide mattress on and support the twins pushed together. These will have to be thick enough to raise lower part of mattresses to bed lift height.
For the exposed sides, construct custom rectangular zippered pillow bags that would slide in between bed and wall, each side. I figure we could stuff with extra bedding, towels, and or sweaters. When beds are retracted to wall, they'd become bolster cushions that you could lean against.
As for replacement of nightstand storage, probably will add shelf to upper wardrobe cabinet by bedroom door.
This is just kernel of idea currently. I'm not sure it's worth keeping the lift frames on the beds; should we just try to create a level platform without them? If anyone has successfully crafted essentially a convertible king from twin beds, I'd enjoy the input. Thanks!
tymcknobel is offline   Reply With Quote