Old 04-07-2004, 08:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Safari 28W

I am 6'4" and weight about 240 pounds.

When our Dinette is configered as a bed, I can diagonalize and fit in there -- I have done that and watched TV, as it it is a perfect location for that. I only have to angle a little bit to stretch out.

The front couch is actually the longest bed -- I can stretch out just fine up there -- taller kids would be just fine in either place.

(BTW, for big boned people, the memory foam pads are a must in any location)

I think the dinette in the 25 6-pack is a bit shorter, like 4 inches, if I recall.

We have two adopted children that will not be tall people -- they are Asian and are likely to be less than 5'6" the rate they are going. They are 8 and nearly 5, and they fit great in either bed. The beds are large enough for each to invite a friend, probably untill they are older teenagers. and even then, they would probably make it work.

The Safari 30W was actually our preferred choice, but it was too much for our vehicle. We can tell that the 28W will be just about right until they are both teenagers, and we think we will be fine, even then. They are both pretty into it, and I think they will love it, like mommy and daddy do...

(besides the 28W is actuall 28'11", and I think the 30W is not much longer)

When we camp, we are outside, except for sleep. Even in the rain, for the most part -- The RV is a glorified aid station...

The only thing that is pretty much a comprimise is the shower -- I have to fold myself in there, and it takes planning to wash the outlying areas...and if I drop the soap, well I have to start over...

Old 04-07-2004, 10:05 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Wow, all this talk of 19-28' Airstreams, and here I am, in an RV Park in Florida, in my wimpy 31 footer, surrounded by "Big Mutha" Motorhomes, pulling full size pickup truck "toads" with golf carts in the back and motorcycles on the back bumpers. "Fivers" with picture windows and a ton of bikes on the back.

It is amazing that Airstreamers, are thought of as rich, snobby millionaires, when it is the other folks who seem to "have all the toys". I guess we just leave all ours back at the mansion.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:08 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohne
diagonalize
You get the prize for the new word of the day!

BTW I don't think that it is a real word, but I like it!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:58 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
sure it is a word

Nothing wrong with diagonalize
( Definition: [v] transform a matrix to a diagonal matrix )
and it even made sense in the sentence it was used in.
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:07 AM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Cool!

I stand corrected!

Now I have to try to use it in scrabble..........
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:27 AM   #20
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic
Reading the thread about RV parks and limitations was interesting, and leads me to a demographic related question. I'm 42 and we have a 7 year old. We're pondering a 19' CCD for weekend getaways (we live in SoCal) and the occasional week vacation. I grew up doing weekends in a cabover camper, but my wife never did the camper/RV thing. I have some fond memories of campsites in the mountains and desert with a bunch of other families (state and county campgrounds as I recall, pit toilets, and no hookups I think), and some not-so-fond ones of various KOAs.

So are we nuts to be thinking of doing the trailer thing? Are most streamers post-kids? Can we live sans hookups for a weekend (assuming no tv, no microwave oven, etc)? And do these shorts make my rear look big?

tia
First, I HAVE to ask... is "NoStatic" a Steely Dan reference?

Then, you are NOT nuts! We had a '70 Safari 23' for our first Airstream, and we used it for seven years with three kids and two pugs. Our youngest is now fourteen, but went on his first camping trip to Moro Bay at the tender age of six weeks! We had two boys with a girl in between, and we'd make the gaucho out, and put the oldest boy in a sleeping bag with his head on the streetside and our daughter in her own bag with her head toward the curbside (the better to lessen the giggles and bedtime whispers)

We had a cloth and mesh collapsible porta-crib that fit perfectly in the remainder of the livingroom (after the bed was made out) for the little guy. It was a GREAT setup, and we made lots and lots of memories in that Safari!

Go for it! Have fun, and enjoy yourselves. The 'trying times' are the times you remember! Take lots of photos too. You'll find that your kids will remember those trips for the rest of their lives as some of the most fun times they had!

Use the campground toilets and showers. Your holding tanks will seem P-R-E-T-T-Y small with kids. There's a great invention meant to replace the microwave... it's called the propane range top/oven combo. They really work well for cooking! They don't need electricity... just some propane and a spark!

And (looking around nervously to see where the wife-unit is so she doesn't catch me looking...) I'm sure that your rear looks delightful in those shorts!

Roger
Old 04-08-2004, 11:39 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
wow! an 11 letter scrabble word including a "z"! Brett, let's get together sometime for some scrabble games!! We don't even have to keep score! Nobody here wants to play with me . I'm not a competitive person, I just like the rush that comes from thinking of 7 letter words on the triple word tile!! But everyone else mumphs, especially when I offer to help them come up with 7 letter words, and take a 200 point handicap, or even not tally score. Even the computer isn't challenging ( doesn't use it's "s's" properly) and it takes too long. But it's been so long I am probably very rusty. But my younger son wants me to make chess moves in 10 seconds or less so I know how it feels! It drives him crazy that I play with no plan and so erratically- it's my only chance of winning very occasionally!
By the way, Brett and Pick, do you know of good 50 amp RV parks on the ocean in Fla keys?
There's also a billibong stove that will boil a quart of water in a minute or two using pine cones, leaves, whatever- the secret is a one battery fan that really makes it cook. silver suz
Old 04-09-2004, 07:37 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Okay, okay, I cannot resist replying to this thread....since I have 8 children and we camp a LOT! Did you know it is "illegal" to rent a motel room with more than 2 adults and 3 kids...a fire marshall law.... so we would have to rent 2 or 3 rooms....at least that is what the motels insist! so trailering is the way to go...except that MOST campgrounds charge PER HEAD when you have a lot of children....makes me mad. Anyway, how to fit in an Airstream...our first AS was a 23' Safari, 1971. Seven children at the time.We gutted it and we had the 2 bunks, which husband and I slept on, and a porta crib in the middle for my only daughter. Then my husband had built this giant wrap around dinette in the front that folded down, we put 4 little boys on it, and the oldest 2 slept outside in a tent. We moved up into a 26' Argosy, then we were in luxury with a 1987 34' Excella, rear queen bed, daughter on dinette, 3 on sofa, baby boy in crib, and 3 boys in a tent when we went trailering. We actually LIVED the summer of 2003 in the Excella, as our house was picked up and moved to a new location and foundation, and we lived in the trailer as we gutted it and got it livable....I rented a porta potty and put in a well, and my inlaws let us borrow their "other brand" class C motor home, so half the children slept in that motor home. Of course, when we went to Vermont, we went back to our "camping" arrangement. If you went to International in Vermont, and remember a big family marching around in matching outfits, well that was us. As they get older, I plan on kicking more out into their own little tents. Picture an Airstream surrounded by tiny little tents....except when there is a bad storm they usually end up sleeping on the seats in the 15 passenger van. The children must not mind, as they beg to go camping ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!

I WANTED to remodel my latest 1964 Overlander to have bunks, but I was in a pinch, so I let Tin Can luv buy it. Anyway, next time you feel really tight in the Bambi or whatever, think of our family of 10 crammed into an Airstream like sardines in a tin can.....
Old 04-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
I think this country is really biased towards large families, and that is too bad. My friend has 7 kids, one 24 and in the navy, though he comes home on his breaks, 3 kids 14 12 and 10 (the only girl) and then being a good catholic who puts her money where her mouth is, adopted 3 more kids after being a foster mom for several years. All 3 have problems. The oldest was beaten so badly and had so many fractures, that his IQ is below normal, he also has severe behavioral problems. the 2 youngest are black and brothers, 10 months apart. Both suffer from fetal alchohol, and drug withdrawal. the youngest has spinal bifida. these are the only 2 black kids in her town. when they go anywhere they are constantly harassed for having such a large family- especially with the 3 hyperactive ( ADD/ADHD) young ones. I feel like people should throw flower petals in her path. She's the best mom I know. ( from N. CA) Yet she gets the same problem when they go camping. Why isnt there more compassion for people with large families? I certainly don't think they should have to pay by head. They are financially challenged because of the 3 youngest ones massive medical needs. Yet one campground checker asked her if they were all her kids and she said firmly "yes they are all mine" and the lady answered back, "honey, 10 years ago we would have rode your family out on a rail" (TX). They dont do very much camping any more. I'm hoping when my trailer gets done we can camp together and I can help out. I know people have made comments about the rug rats that damage their whatever, but perhaps you should take the time to get to know one or two, especially ones not getting attention. Who knows, you may enjoy their fresh, unique view of the world. Sorry for proselytizing, silver suz
Old 04-09-2004, 12:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Froggies, we only have one kid but I sure wish we'd met you at the International last summer -- you could have taught us a few things!

It's great to read a post from someone who has a big family and manages to go Airstreaming anyway. It's an antidote to all the posts I see where people suggest that small trailers are only suitable for two, and families of three or four need 34-footers or they'll end up re-enacting "The Shining"!

Nostatic, we don't need a pickup truck because we travel light. No bbq grill (we have a stove in the trailer and a fire ring at most camp sites already), no blue tank, no generator (or gas for generator). A small SUV is more than enough for us.

And boondocking? Heck, I haven't met the kid yet who knows or cares whether we are plugged in or not. We do the same stuff regardless: hiking, talking, playing, eating, singing, exploring ...

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks silver suz! Everytime I go ANYWHERE....I get comments, some are just curious(are they all yours?), some are nice(what well-behaved children), some are as rude as your friend gets(not repeatable on this nice forum). Maybe people forget that they were once children themselves, and the world is not just for adults....maybe it is that there a lot of adults not caring enough to raise their kids right...thus people see the misbehaving "rugrats" more than they see obedient children. Lately my favorite answer is "Who is going to pay your social security? Who is going to take care of you when you are old?" They usually stop and think then.

On a funny note, I have often thought that the new Airstreams they are making NOW, will be late vintage units when my children grow up....I also wonder if Airstream will ever come out with a bunkhouse model......that sleeps 12! I kinda doubt it, most large familes would not be in the market to spend that amount of cash....
Old 04-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Rluhr:
Thanks for your comments!

You are right, children don't notice whether they have all those "comforts" or not! They just have fun!

I keep thinking I should send in a picture to the Blue Beret of all 10 of us lined up along the Airstream....
Old 04-12-2004, 10:40 AM   #27
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
Thumbs up

Send it to us, instead! We're planning a feature on "second generation Airstreamers" in the Fall 2004 issue. Send me a PM for the email address or just check out the website at www.airstreamlife.com
Old 04-12-2004, 12:25 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
AIrstream life...I just emailed you from your site. thanks!