Old 12-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2000 30' Excella
Pittsfield , Maine
Keeping the exit clear!

While digging out from New England's weekend blizzard, which included cleaning the snow off the Airstream, I subsequently spent over two hours cutting an exit for the Airstream out of a 4.5' deep snowbank! Now, believe me when I say the Airstream is properly winterized - and that I have no plans to move it before Spring! The whole time I was digging and working with the snowblower I kept asking myself "--- what the heck are you doing!" The only answer I can come up with is that it's just a simple mental thing. The Airstream represents the opportunity to escape - and I just couldn't stand seeing it pinned in behind a snowbank! My back and legs hurt like hell, in spite of two aspirin and a liberal shot of Canadian Club - but my mind is at ease!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay
I haven't faced that...yet

We have had some piddly little snows so far. We have 400 ft. of driveway that we pay a service to have plowed with a bobcat. Traditionally the Airstream is parked where the plower dumped most of the excess snow from our circle turn around in the past. The first time this year he managed to keep it clear and put the snow elsewhere. Crossing fingers that he keeps it up. No, I will not have the chance to catch him if he does plow me in. He normally will plow in the middle of the night and have the driveway clear before I head out at 5:45 AM for work.

There are two services I will not complain to--my snow plower because I get a good rate from 20 years of service and the garbage truck men. The garbage men venture down our driveway and pick up. I dare not complain about anything lest they make me carry my cans 200 feet up a 12 percent slope. I accept the occassional spilled trash and rutted driveway.

2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #3
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I feel you pain....but in my case, it's not the snow that stops me, it's the salt and the freezing temps that prevent me from trying to get out in the depth of winter!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm and ex michigander. I did the sensible thing and moved to a place that has an average anual snow fall of 6........inches. When it snows 2 inches it is a 3 day holiday and everything shuts down.
1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Cracker! I believe you when you say the Airstream is properly winterized ! We have snow too! In Alaska! I shovel snow too!
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote