Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
oberlin , Kansas
Kayak carriers

I was wondering if there are kayak carriers that can be used to carry a kayak on Airstream trailers. thanks
pearl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Kayak on Airstream

I would never carry a Kayak on our trailer. We carry our's on Yak Rack's on the TV. Possible leak's and Denting the trailer getting the Kayak on/off would be a problem. An option would be a Folding Kayak ie: Folbot ,Klepper or Feathercraft. You should also use a Bow line to Secure the Kayak to front Bumper area.
Why do you need to carry Kayak on the trailer?
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
Car top carriers are the safest most secure way to go. Yakima makes some really good ones and Tule are also good. I would not attach a rack to the Airstream. Now if you buy the brand new Eddie Bower Airstream, no problem, just lift up the the back tail gate and load those kayaks right into the Airsteam itself. That seems ok. The advantage of the car top carrier is that you have a way to transport the boats when you are not using the AS plus many put in and take out places are narrow and restricted and not suitable for a trailer.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I would also not put a kayak rack on the Airstream. At a minimum, it would be very hard to get the kayak up there, potential for damage to the Airsteam. We have a Yakama rack on top of the truck bed cover and it works well. Before we got the rack, we had inflatable kayaks, Advanced Element brand, and that worked well also. They were very good inflatables, and we liked them, but did not like deflating, cleaning, drying, and packing them after an already tiring day on the water.

However, I have seen people mount kayaks on the back of SOB fifth wheels, and that seemed to work OK. After all, who cares if you damage one of those! :-)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I can't come up with any feasible way to carry our kayak directly on the Airstream. We carry our tandem Hobie in a Thule Hullavator on the roof of the Suburban.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2765.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	118861   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3474.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	118862  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3477.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	118863  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I had this fanciful idea well before getting into Airstreams -- seemed like it was a logical place for a canoe. It would be nearly impossible to load a kayak over the upper body curve. Doing this from a ladder wouldn't be safe. The process would be clumsy -- you'd put dings into skin for sure. And dings don't pull out.

How clumsy? I use a 4' ladder to help me get a kayak to the top of my truck cap. My Yakima Bowdown saddle is right at 7' above the ground. It's clumsy! It'd be easier with 2 ladders & 2 people -- too much sugar for a dime. But getting to the top of an Airstream over that curve -- you'd put dents into the Airstream and probably the people with some regularity.

And there just isn't much free space on the roof -- 4 or 5 square feet here, a few more over yonder, etc.

Mounting on the bumper is totally out of the question. Carry it on the tow vehicle.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Camarillo , California
I have the Thule truck rack system which works great. And it looks good on the truck as well.
You can get attachments for the system to carry bikes, kayaks or just about anything. However, you don't need the extra attachments for kayaks. I just put some pads on the crossbars and can strap 3 kayaks side by side.

2007 AS 23ft SE, Front lounge
2011 F250 CC 4wd Diesel
lkpills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
oberlin , Kansas
Thanks for the info. I will be selecting some sort of rack for my tahoe, my dad just thought he had seen a picture of some kind of system for the trailer. Kelly
Old 01-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
_

. , .
a/s DID put an exterior rack/mount on the quEEEEKsilver stream as an option.

it was 4 surf boards, but could have been tweaked 4 a yak.

still mounting any sort of rack on the exterior skin is problematic,

and even now the a/s solution for carrying a boat is 2 install a rear/end door...

so the yak can be carried inside at the trailer floor.

a custom rack could be fabricated to use the patio awning CHANNEL for attachment...

but it would be pricey, time consuming to use and sort odd looking.

much better to attach to the mule,

besides once in camp IF you wanna drive somewhere to paddle, a tv rack will still be needed.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
oberlin , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I can't come up with any feasible way to carry our kayak directly on the Airstream. We carry our tandem Hobie in a Thule Hullavator on the roof of the Suburban.

Brian
This is what I will probably get to carry the kayak on my Tahoe. When I looked the Hullavator up online, it gave a price of about $5oo. Do you have to purchase special bars for the vehicle carrier as well? Thanks, Kelly
Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
FYI--Just bought a Thule rack system for my 2010 F150 Supercab. Awful wind noise without the fairing, so had to buy that attachment also.

Problem is that there are leaks w/water coming onto back seat from car wash or blowing rain. Removed racks and will use only when needing to trasport my canoe.

Had a Yakima rack for my previous TV that had roof gutters and had no problems w/leaks.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
Thule Rack

We have a 2008 Ford Explorer with a Thule rack on top. We have had no issues at all with it. Kept it on the TV all season and only took it off for winter because we knew we wouldn't need it till Spring. Never had a whistle or noise issue either. It depends on how well you have matched the rack and vehicle. (I was in retail and this is one of the systems we were trained on so trust me I did ALOT of homework) We added a fairing later in the season for the looks but found we had whistling and wind noise when we used it and since removed it. Be sure with whichever rack you choose, to tie down securely both front, back and sides.

Be sure before you buy that you are getting what you want in a rack. Everyone has good and bad they will say about it, but make sure it does what you want it to do. Make the rack work for you.

BTW, Thule's website has a "right fit guide" where you can input your tv and specs and they will show you what fits and works with your specific vehicle.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Airbiscuit--not to hijack this thread, but the Thule rack I purchased is the exact match Thule recommended for my truck and it sucks.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #14
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I built a "rack" using 2"x4" lumber, 8 sets of fasteners (bolts, washers, nuts), and some pipe insulation for our 14' kayaks. Basically, I built an open box that sits in the truck bed and extends the roof line of our cab 8'. The kayaks ride on top of rack, and I secure the kayaks by straps to the rack. The rack provide a good place to attach the paddles and an 8' stepladder underneath the kayaks, using stretch cords or straps.

When we we return home from camping, I disassemble the rack and store it until next usage. Assembly and installation takes 10 minutes, less to remove and knock down. About $30 to build.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T View Post
I built a "rack" using 2"x4" lumber, 8 sets of fasteners (bolts, washers, nuts), and some pipe insulation for our 14' kayaks. Basically, I built an open box that sits in the truck bed and extends the roof line of our cab 8'. The kayaks ride on top of rack, and I secure the kayaks by straps to the rack. The rack provide a good place to attach the paddles and an 8' stepladder underneath the kayaks, using stretch cords or straps.

When we we return home from camping, I disassemble the rack and store it until next usage. Assembly and installation takes 10 minutes, less to remove and knock down. About $30 to build.
Tim, Do you have any pictures of that rack?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #16
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Tim, Do you have any pictures of that rack?
I will look. I probably have a photo of the whole setup, which would probably work for seeing the general idea.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR View Post
Airbiscuit--not to hijack this thread, but the Thule rack I purchased is the exact match Thule recommended for my truck and it sucks.
Did you call and talk to their customer support? Was it installed on a factory rail system already in place or did you do the gutter assembly?

Pearl66, do you already have a rail system on the top of your tahoe? (rails are the factory rack running from front to back parallel to the vehicle)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl66 View Post
This is what I will probably get to carry the kayak on my Tahoe. When I looked the Hullavator up online, it gave a price of about $5oo. Do you have to purchase special bars for the vehicle carrier as well? Thanks, Kelly

The Thule Hullavator attaches to Thule square mounting bars. These bars are standard Thule fare which mount to the Suburban's roof rack.

Yes, the Thule Hullavator is expensive, but it works really well, and is a lot less expensive than back surgery.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #19
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Kayak Racks

We have two 16' kayaks--weight about 50# each--that we carry on our Suburban using Yakima racks. I think the Thule are pretty much the same. It's a "religious war" centered around round vs square roof bars. Ours are configured with hully rollers on the rear and saddles--can't recall exact names--on the front. The rollers make it pretty easy to load the kayaks, but it's still a bit of a pain and we have to disconnect the Airstream to get them on and off. The whole rack system cost around $700, about 1/2 the cost of the hullivator.

If you opt to carry the kayaks on the roof of any RV, you're going to have a real pain lifting them up that high.
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
what about opening the window in the front or back and just sliding it through and setting it on the floor?

I have a 64 overlander, seems like it would work on mine.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote