Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

1972 29' Ambassador
Apple Valley , California
Judging for orginality at shows.

We want to enter our 1972 Ambassador in vintage shows. Does any one know what the judging criteria is for the orginality classes. One question would be the white coating that is put on the roof for insulation, leaks, etc. Thanks, Beverly.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I didn't know there were any shows for Airstream's other than trailer tours during rally's.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I'm with Aviator. There are no Concours d'Airstreamance that I am aware of.

Good workmanship will be appreciate by all, irregardless.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Concourse d' Elegance Show

There is a Concourse d' Elegance Show at the WBCCI International Rally each year. The Vintage Airstream Club judges those that enter at the rally during the VAC Open House.

I have a copy of the "score sheet" at home, I can post a copy later - I believe it is also printed in the Vintage Advantage each spring as well. The Concouse gives out awards to any trailer entered that acheives a certain number of points in both the Junior (1st Entry) & Senior (Subsequent year entries for the same trailer) per decade. There is also a "Best Bambi", "Best Tow/Trailer Combination" & "Best Engineered Feature". The top award is "Best in Show" for the highest points acheived between all the entries. Some years, additional awards are given for special things - but I don't recall if "Best Original Trailer" is one of them given out every year...

The cool thing is each trailer is judged on it's own against the score sheet, not the other trailers. It's a great way for owners to know what areas are good and which areas still need work. For example, polishing is NOT a "big point" item...it's just one of the things that's looked at. In therory, a non-polished trailer could acheive a gold or platinum award, if everything else scored highly.

I was a judge in 2009 and it was a great experience. I got to see all the terrific trailers during Open House...I believe the trailer that won Best in Show that year would have received a "Best Original Trailer" if one had be given out because it was just that - a nearly perfect, un-restored "Preserved" trailer from the 70's as I recall.

In 2005 Springfield we acheived "Gold - Junior Level" for our 1964 GlobeTrotter and in 2010 at the Bozeman Rally, we actually tied for "Best In Show" with our 1956 Safari "Birdy" with 99.5 out of 101 Points.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Here's the criteria the vintage club has on their website.

Concours D
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
There is a Concourse d' Elegance Show at the WBCCI International Rally each year. The Vintage Airstream Club judges those that enter at the rally during the VAC Open House.

I have a copy of the "score sheet" at home, I can post a copy later - I believe it is also printed in the Vintage Advantage each spring as well. The Concouse gives out awards to any trailer entered that acheives a certain number of points in both the Junior (1st Entry) & Senior (Subsequent year entries for the same trailer) per decade. There is also a "Best Bambi", "Best Tow/Trailer Combination" & "Best Engineered Feature". The top award is "Best in Show" for the highest points acheived between all the entries. Some years, additional awards are given for special things - but I don't recall if "Best Original Trailer" is one of them given out every year...

The cool thing is each trailer is judged on it's own against the score sheet, not the other trailers. It's a great way for owners to know what areas are good and which areas still need work. For example, polishing is NOT a "big point" item...it's just one of the things that's looked at. In therory, a non-polished trailer could acheive a gold or platinum award, if everything else scored highly.

I was a judge in 2009 and it was a great experience. I got to see all the terrific trailers during Open House...I believe the trailer that won Best in Show that year would have received a "Best Original Trailer" if one had be given out because it was just that - a nearly perfect, un-restored "Preserved" trailer from the 70's as I recall.

In 2005 Springfield we acheived "Gold - Junior Level" for our 1964 GlobeTrotter and in 2010 at the Bozeman Rally, we actually tied for "Best In Show" with our 1956 Safari "Birdy" with 99.5 out of 101 Points.

Shari
Oops! Sure, I should have remembered that.

Congratulations again on the recognition of your work!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Kenn View Post
We want to enter our 1972 Ambassador in vintage shows. Does any one know what the judging criteria is for the orginality classes. One question would be the white coating that is put on the roof for insulation, leaks, etc. Thanks, Beverly.
Just an FYI, my 1972 Trade Wind is stock, and there is no white coating on the roof. It is all aluminum with clear coat.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Tin Can Tourists

Tin Can Tourists also have competitions with a Concourse d' Elegance Show.

"Tin Can Tourists is an all make and model vintage trailer and motor coach club. Our goal is to promote and preserve vintage trailers and motor coaches through gatherings and information exchange. The club is open to everyone and ownership of a vintage trailer or motor coach is not a prerequisite for membership."

The Tin Can Tourists were organized at Desoto Park, Tampa, Florida, in 1919. They received the official state charter a year later. The groups stated objective was “to unite fraternally all autocampers”.

Tin Can Tourists

We have gone to several TCT rallies and they are very laid back and a lot of fun with many unique kinds of trailers and motorhomes and self builds on display. The cost of the rally includes membership for the year. You might try finding an event or chapter near you.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Cool, I didn't know about that. I need to make an extra effort this year to make the International Rally. Seeing a group of Vintage restored trailers would be great.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Aviator, we were just sayi g how cool it would be to go to an international rally. How fun!