Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Jackson Center or Bust!

We are traveling to Jackson Center from Dallas next week for some scheduled repairs on our '04 Safari . The work will take 3 to 4 days.

Any ideas or suggestions of what to see or do there, or on the way, are welcome.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The factory tour is really great!

Seriously though it is a pretty area. A few places to see. I think an Air Force Base is around there that gives or use to give tours. Anyone remember the name.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Wright Patterson is NE of Dayton.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Ed & Debbie.

Take a tour of the Henschen plant, while your in Jackson Center.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Cabella

Hello .. we were there a couple of times last year.. seems to me there is a Cabella superstore near there.. I mean within a 100 mile radius.. the tour of the factory is great.. not much really to see in the surrounding area.. lots of farm land.. Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Thanks..I've heard there is a great Air & Space museum near-by but wasn't sure where, must be the Wright-Patterson.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Air museum

Yes, the Air museum is at Wright Patterson AFB...they have a nice FAMCAMP too, if you're a retired Military member:

http://www.armymwr.com/portal/travel...atterson%20AFB

This is a great tool too for Retired, Reserve or Active Duty military members.

http://www.armymwr.com/portal/travel/paths/green.asp

Just click on a state to see the Military campgrounds in that state. Florida Mayport NS Pelican's roost is supposed to be fantastic. I've stayed at alot of them on the east coast.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Definitely agree on the Airstream plant tour. Haven't taken the axle plant tour, but it sounds good too.

Here's the link to the Air Force Museum. Even going through in a hurry, it can be an all day affair.

Locally, there's a small bicycle museum in New Bremen, about as far west of I-75 as JC is east of it, on the same road. Got some oldies but goodies there.

Not far on I-75 in Wapakoneta is the Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum. Haven't been there myself yet.

You're also within a couple of hours from the Islands on Lake Erie, where Put-In-Bay is the most popular for tourism and especially partying. Ferries leave Port Clinton and Catawba Island (a peninsula on the mainland) to PIB.

We stopped by JC on the way back from Lake Erie Tuesday, and the evidence of the fire in the service center is still overwhelming. Lots of repair construction still going on. As we were leaving, one of those giant Grand Teton fifth-wheels behind a semi-tractor was pulling in. Not sure what that was about. Maybe he was tired of having to have so much tow vehicle and was ready to trade for an Airstream, LOL!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed & Debbie
Thanks..I've heard there is a great Air & Space museum near-by but wasn't sure where, must be the Wright-Patterson.
Actually, no. The Air and Space museum is in Wapakoneta, a little north and west of JC, about 17 miles away is all. It is visible from the interstate.....

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 07-31-2004, 07:38 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
http://www.seemore.org/

http://www.visitsidneyshelby.com/attractions.asp

http://www.piattcastles.org/

http://www.re.org/eric/ohio-caverns/

Here are also some links to area attractions..
Old 07-31-2004, 01:30 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

You will likely find more than enough to see or do with all the hints given here allready but If You can try to make it to the Dover New philadelphia area , It may be a few hour drive but we just came back from visiting the Warthers Museum and You can not belive the caving that this man has done. His cavings of steam engine trains in walnut , ebony , and ivory are amazing in detail. Not sure if there was a web sight but try searching Ernest(Mooney)Warther.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:31 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Ok I guess I should have checked first , www.Warthers.com
S/OS #010
Old 08-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
WOW! Thanks for the response to my query.

I was wondering how to spend the week in Jackson Center (after the obligatory A/S factory tour) and not getting board stiff. Now we might have to prioritize our side trips!

I'll post a quick 'review' when we return, again thanks for all the ideas.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Exclamation We're Here!!

Made it to Jackson Center this week-end . We took the factory tour yesterday...Got to see 'Tin Hut's' new Intl. in final production . Also been in the new 'Bunk House' Safari...A real family trailer.

Airstream, ALL of the people we are interfacing with, have been kind, generous, & are really going the 'extra mile', & not just for us. This trip to 'meet the maker' is, IMHO, worth it.

We need to have a skin replaced & they have given us the choice of an external only (using Olympic rivets) repair or the full 'monty' option of removing the interior & 'butt' riveting the new skin on...guess we'll go with the Olympic rivets...Anyone have any input on this, I'd appreciate your opinion(s). Our unit is an '04.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:49 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

The vinyl floor in our 2004 was completely relaced along with the bedroom carpeting , this required allmost a complete interior removal and replacement
any thing that sat on the floor came out as our trailer is wall to wall vinyl except for the bedroom and the tile is laid under all the cabinets. anyhow it would take longer but I would go for the full replacement the interior will look the same when done. You may know but no one else will be able to tell there was ever a repair made or the interior was removed. They will have direct access to the rear of the anel to seal better. if it was mine id go for the orginal bucked rivets not olympics for that large of a job.
S/OS #010
Old 08-10-2004, 09:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Ed & Debbie

The secret to success of metal replacement is not the kind of rivet, but in the quality of the labor.

Olympic rivets have been around since the early 70's.

Done properly, metal replacement anywhere on an Airstream trailer or motorhome using "olympic" rivets is equal to the "buck" rivets.

The olympic rivet was designed to save labor costs, without sacrificing the quality of repair.

On the other hand, a buck rivet job, can be just as bad as a poor olympic job, again depending on "how it's done."

After market metal replacement, requires an injection of "Vulkem or Sikaflex sealer" within the seams to insure a "positive seal."

The theory of "keeping it original" holds little water, when it comes to resale value.

Again, the key to it is "the quality of the labor."

The only issue with olympic rivets is which one to use. There are two types, one with a washer and one without. The washer is neoprene. Neoprene being what it is, expose it to hot weather, over time, and the washer "will" fail, which in turn, probably will fall out, and possibly causing a water leak. Additionally, a washered olympic rivet allows you to put your finger nail under every rivet head, making the repair job less desireable.

The washer type olympics in our neck of the woods desert, have been known to fail in less than two years. Also the washer type olympic rivet, in my opinion, is a sorry excuse for a quality repair job, in that your depending on it to "not leak." Good luck if you use it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote