Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I've Fallen and...and

Traveling more, and not getting any younger. It's time to get real and recognize that I need a GPS tracker with an emergency call button. Nothing bad has ever happened to me, but I travel alone, and am going farther afield... so I need that ounce of prevention. If I know I'll be out of cell range I will set up scheduled times to find a land line and call my sister but I don't want her to have to always be on guard duty.

Anyone have experience with the various providers... or perhaps even an app for the cell?

PAULA
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If it doesn't feel like an inappropriate breech of your privacy, you could allow your sister to track your phone or tablet by the "find my I phone" feature. This can't say I'm OK or I need help, but it can let her know you are where she expected you to be. And no cost.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
What tow vehicle do you have? Chevy/gMC have Onstar, which will connect you to help or directional services, and there are some other providers, I believe.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
OnStar is a good option.

Here's a Google search for "personal safety apps"

https://www.google.com/search?q=pers...&client=safari

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
On Star was going to be my recommendation as well. My wife does not and cannot drive and she feels totally safe with it while we are travelling.
Funny story. I accidentally hit the emergency call button. When it was answered I immediately pushed the button again thinking I had turned it off. I then went into a meeting. On the way out there was an RCMP officer waiting to ask if I was OK. Embarrassed, I explained what happened and we had a chuckle about it.
It works!😕
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
But will onstar do any good if I'm not in the truck. BTW IT DIDN'T work at all when I had the wreck 3 years ago. In the recent hurricane I had to go outside to open the valve on my 2nd propane tank. Power was out and i needed to keep the fridge running. We wereon the fringe of the storm with 40 to 50 mph gusys. A bit hairy gettimg back inside,
especially getting the door closed, if i had fallen i would have needed a panic button.

A man 10 years younger than I am recently fell outside his moho and no one heard him yelling or pounding on the side for over an hour. Hypothermic by the time a work camper spotted him. Made me think.t
Old 12-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Jones , Oklahoma
I haven't used one personally, but I know several serious mountain climbers and sailors who use these to keep in contact and to call for help:Spot Messenger (http://www.findmespot.com/en/)
alumdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

And it's on sale, 1/2 off. You do have to buy a service plan, about $165 per year.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I climb and hike the mountains of Colorado. I have used both the findme spot above, and the Delorme Inreach.

Both are satellite and allow tracking and message sending. So if you have it on tracking mode, then your sister can see where you are whenever she wants.

The spot has three preprogrammed buttons that you can use to send messages, such as I'm okay, need help, or 911. The I reach allows you to customize messages, or with a smartphone app it allows you to text just like on a phone.

I switched to the inreach as I liked to be able to have a text conversation with my wife instead of just sending a preprogrammed note.

I am not sure of the costs for spot, but you can check the web link. The inreach costs me $26 per month, and allows about 40 texts for free. You can also suspend the service if you aren't using it.

Both units also have the emergency 911 button, when you hit that, it sends your GPS location and SEarch and rescue is notified and will eventually come to your aid.

note, depending on remoteness, it can take a long time. I was on a 14er halfway up, someone had broken their ankle, we used the spot to call 911, it took more than 6 hours for a team to arrive and help the person. This was remote.

The other thing I like about the delorme is that when you hit 911, you can actually text and let them know specifics etc. a two way conversation and be coached by medical,support if needed.

When I go on camping trips remote with my young children, we keep it on track mode, and the wife (who stays at home often) can log into the web and see where we are and what we have been doing. Good piece of mind for her.....

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 12-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
On sale at REI
https://www.rei.com/product/860469/s...-gps-messenger

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I ride motorcycles in very remote areas. I bought a "Spot Tracker". It works great for me. I just have the basic service, but I can message my wife that I'm fine, or that I'm done for the day. It sends her my coordinates every time I message her. It also has two other messages. One, that I need mechanical help, and the last one is a 911 call. It goes out to authorities and designated individuals. I had to use the last mode when I buddy crashed his bike and we were well out of any cell tower range. It worked perfectly. If you want to pay more, it has a tracking feature that can let one person, or the general public know where you are any any given moment. I guess there might be other ones out there now. I've not had a reason to switch. It's a small unit. The batteries last a long time, and I've never heard of it being out of range.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Maybe you need to go someplace with a better climate and warmer....southern Calif...if you fall down at least you won't freeze to death..Lol..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Paula, we use iLife 360, which is an app for iPhone. There are several choices and options, as far as what it can do for you.
I am sure there is a similar app for Android, though I don't have access to the play store.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Paula:

We got one for my dad at Walmart (as recommended by our Amedisys care provider). It cost about $30 to buy the device and $15 per month for the service. It connected through the Verizon wireless system. You press the button and an agent responds through a speaker in the device.

We liked that it connected through Verizon so that it would work wherever he went.

I can't remember the name of the device / service. We were happy with the results. Walmart probably still carries it.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Paula, I think it is an excellent idea. As Troutboy said, we do get off the beaten path here in Colorado. Every year there are hikers or motor vehicles that are in distress and do not have emergency communications.

I'm going to do some research myself so when I'm out trail riding and if something bad happens, at least folks will know I need help and where I am.

We both gotta work it in the budget somehow.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have a McMurdo epirb which I carry on my wilderness canoe trips. It also accompanies us in our AS travels. It's not automatic, but if you "pull the rip cord", the Cavalry is coming...anywhere on the planet, without any subscription.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have a McMurdo epirb which I carry on my wilderness canoe trips. It also accompanies us in our AS travels. It's not automatic, but if you "pull the rip cord", the Cavalry is coming...anywhere on the planet, without any subscription.
Rich, Thanks for sharing. Can you tell me which McMurdo unit you wound up with? I took a quick look and found different models on Amazon, etc., with prices from low-mid $200's to over $800 I'm sure for different applications.

I also noted almost no reviews on nearly all of them. Maybe other sites would. Looks like most are made for offshore boaters/ sailors.

This has been in the back of my mind for some time although we are usually within Verizon cell service.
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The satellite systems work in the boonies where there is NO cellphone service. There are canyon roads in Colorado and Arizona that are close to civilization but there is NO cell coverage.

I have had a SPOT tracker for years and have never needed it. It only takes once to pay for itself.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
Rich, Thanks for sharing. Can you tell me which McMurdo unit you wound up with? I took a quick look and found different models on Amazon, etc., with prices from low-mid $200's to over $800 I'm sure for different applications.

I also noted almost no reviews on nearly all of them. Maybe other sites would. Looks like most are made for offshore boaters/ sailors.

This has been in the back of my mind for some time although we are usually within Verizon cell service.
Fastfind 210. I've had it for 7 years and the battery still shows full, but it'll be time to send it in for a new one soon, I'd bet.
I suppose a review would only be valid if you had to use it. I'm sure some have, but you had better make sure it's a life or death circumstance.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Fastfind 210.
I suppose a review would only be valid if you had to use it. I'm sure some have, but you had better make sure it's a life or death circumstance.
Actually that makes a lot of sense that most would not have experience and reviews if it was rarely ever used.....
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote