Old 12-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Paula, I think it is an excellent idea. As Troutboy said, we do get off the beaten path here in Colorado. Every year there are hikers or motor vehicles that are in distress and do not have emergency communications.

I'm going to do some research myself so when I'm out trail riding and if something bad happens, at least folks will know I need help and where I am.

We both gotta work it in the budget somehow.

David

Old 12-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have a McMurdo epirb which I carry on my wilderness canoe trips. It also accompanies us in our AS travels. It's not automatic, but if you "pull the rip cord", the Cavalry is coming...anywhere on the planet, without any subscription.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have a McMurdo epirb which I carry on my wilderness canoe trips. It also accompanies us in our AS travels. It's not automatic, but if you "pull the rip cord", the Cavalry is coming...anywhere on the planet, without any subscription.
Rich, Thanks for sharing. Can you tell me which McMurdo unit you wound up with? I took a quick look and found different models on Amazon, etc., with prices from low-mid $200's to over $800 I'm sure for different applications.

I also noted almost no reviews on nearly all of them. Maybe other sites would. Looks like most are made for offshore boaters/ sailors.

This has been in the back of my mind for some time although we are usually within Verizon cell service.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The satellite systems work in the boonies where there is NO cellphone service. There are canyon roads in Colorado and Arizona that are close to civilization but there is NO cell coverage.

I have had a SPOT tracker for years and have never needed it. It only takes once to pay for itself.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
Rich, Thanks for sharing. Can you tell me which McMurdo unit you wound up with? I took a quick look and found different models on Amazon, etc., with prices from low-mid $200's to over $800 I'm sure for different applications.

I also noted almost no reviews on nearly all of them. Maybe other sites would. Looks like most are made for offshore boaters/ sailors.

This has been in the back of my mind for some time although we are usually within Verizon cell service.
Fastfind 210. I've had it for 7 years and the battery still shows full, but it'll be time to send it in for a new one soon, I'd bet.
I suppose a review would only be valid if you had to use it. I'm sure some have, but you had better make sure it's a life or death circumstance.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Fastfind 210.
I suppose a review would only be valid if you had to use it. I'm sure some have, but you had better make sure it's a life or death circumstance.
Actually that makes a lot of sense that most would not have experience and reviews if it was rarely ever used.....