Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
How exciting!!! Congratulations on your new baby. You're just going to love her.

2air makes very good points about the transaction. Take heed.

The towing part will come, but there is a learning curve. Read everything you can on the subject, and talk to others who are experienced. Usually, the Airstream dealer is NOT a good source for towing information. Many of the salesmen know as much about towing as they do about brain surgery.

Take your time and do your homework. All of this RV/towing stuff will become clear.

Post baby pictures when she arrives.

Safe Travels,
Brian
Thanks Brian - I'll be sure to post pictures - and yes, 2 air always has great information!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midamrail
If there's any way at all you can swing a trip to Jackson Center the last couple of days your trailer is on the line, I would highly, highly recommend it. We were able to go through ours the last two days and identify several areas we wanted addressed that the inspectors missed, and the quality control people seemed happy we were there to catch those things so they could address them before the trailer left and the issues became dealer issues. As a result, our trailer was delivered with virtually no flaws, and on top of that, we really, really enjoyed the experience.

It takes a bit of coordination with the factory to get your travel schedule lined up, and they need the heads-up you're coming, but it was well worth it for us and a small financial price to pay to insepct something that cost us more than anything but our house.
The idea of going to the factory for the last couple of days is an excellent one but I'm afraid we won't be able to. We have to be back east for 2 other trips very close to the same time - we just won't be able make that third trip.

I'm sure 2 air will give me some good guidance on inspecting it when we take delivery!

Jim
Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Congratulations!

I remember the anticipation after we put the deposit down until we took delivery - I'm jealous!

Ditto to what Midamrail said about seeing your baby on the production line.
We were able to do that with ours and the guys building her were very helpful - we had a zillion questions and must have spent the whole day inside, outside and under out new TT. I think it helped - any problems we had were minor or non-AS problems (bad circuit board on refrigerator, Fantastic Fan died).

If you can video-tape your walkthrough with your dealer, it'll make for informative teevee watching on your shakedown voyage.

Visit here often with ANY questions you have - none are too silly - we've all had them.

Best of Luck!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Congratulations!

I am so excited for you. We also recommend video-taping your delivery orientation. This will include instruction and demonstration on how to operate each component of your unit. There will be so many details and operational sequences given to you in a short amount of time that it will cause sensory over-load.

We decided not get an extended warranty after reading the comments on this forum. This will be offerred to you at time of delivery.

Make sure that you have all of the manufacturer's manuals for each of the trailer's components (jack, microwave oven, sound system, air conditioning/heater, refrigerator, hitch, etc.). They contain operation/maintenance information you must have to ensure warranty coverage. The AS owners manual will refer to these assuming that you have them. We did did not receive several manuals on delivery, not knowing what to look for. The dealership might not be unresponsive/helpful once the purchase is completed. Months after our purchase, the factory sent some of the missing manuals on our request. Other manuals had to be requested from the individual manufacturers. The power jack manual was missing and had information about separate wiring and fuse location different than what was given in the AS owner's manual.

Make sure that you are getting your money's worth for the delivery fee. At Anza-Borrego a week and a half ago, I met a gentleman from Bremerton, WA, who had just taken delivery of his new 25' FB Safari. He paid a $600 dealer preparation fee and reported that very little preparation was done. We paid $200 and had excellent service from our dealer.

To read more about our experiences over the past year, review "Silvergate's home at last" thread listed under 2007 Safari.

Happy trails to you,
Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Larry
I see you use the quote:

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" - Albert Schweitzer

It's a favorite of mine - I first saw it about 30 years ago.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mansfield , Massachusetts
Congratulations Jim! We have wanted an Airstream forever, and finally bought a 2007 27 foot Safari SE at the end of last summer, but due to family illness, have not taken it on its maiden voyage yet! We cannot wait! The dogs have given it their paw of approval.
Kat
corgikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgikat
Congratulations Jim! We have wanted an Airstream forever, and finally bought a 2007 27 foot Safari SE at the end of last summer, but due to family illness, have not taken it on its maiden voyage yet! We cannot wait! The dogs have given it their paw of approval.
Kat
Thanks Kat!

Where do you plan to go first? New England has so many totally cool places - so does Upstate NY. I'm partial to the Finger Lakes since that's where I got my start in life and lived for my ist 24 years!

Safe travels!

Jim
Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
The wait is killing me! Finally after 2 years, the A/S is going on order. We finally decided on the 2008 28 ft Safari SE - Midnight Sun. We're putting some cool options on it too!

I'll finish up the financing this week and as soon as I get the check from my broker for the down payment, the trailer goes on order. Then it's a 4 to 6 week wait - counting it down - minute by minute!

We don't plan of being home that much this summer. No, actually we will be home - at home in our 2nd home, the new 'streamer!

Jim
Congrats Jim!! The waiting is agony but it makes delivery day that much more fun!! What are the cool options that you're adding??
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
Congrats Jim!! The waiting is agony but it makes delivery day that much more fun!! What are the cool options that you're adding??
The one I'm most excited about is the solar inverter. Most of our camping will be between New Mexico and Arizona and it's really sunny out here!

We're also upgrading the Audio/Video. I was thinking about doing that as an after-market option, but I want the pre-wiring to be done at the factory. So, I might as well just have them do the whole thing. We're both movie buffs so we'll be spending our inside time watching flicks.

The waiting is killing me!!! I obsess with it every day and I'm researching everything I can about RVing and Airstreams! At least I don't work any more so I'm not falling down on the job!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Jim, I just found this thread. Congratulations. We got our first Airstream last spring and know the excitement. I will stay tuned on the thread for the pictures.

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
The one I'm most excited about is the solar inverter. Most of our camping will be between New Mexico and Arizona and it's really sunny out here!

We're also upgrading the Audio/Video. I was thinking about doing that as an after-market option, but I want the pre-wiring to be done at the factory. So, I might as well just have them do the whole thing. We're both movie buffs so we'll be spending our inside time watching flicks.

The waiting is killing me!!! I obsess with it every day and I'm researching everything I can about RVing and Airstreams! At least I don't work any more so I'm not falling down on the job!
I ordered a bunch of stuff on ours when we ordered and I'd like to recommend the awning pkg. Not only does it look cool but it will help keep it cool out in sun. Dreaming is great huh????
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
I ordered a bunch of stuff on ours when we ordered and I'd like to recommend the awning pkg. Not only does it look cool but it will help keep it cool out in sun. Dreaming is great huh????
I love dreamin' about streamin'

The dealer recommended against the other awnings - although I like the idea of keeping sun out. One thing we have to be careful of out here is the wind. The winds can be fierce and sudden. If they catch an awning it could do a good bit of damage.

What did you guys order for options on yours??
Old 03-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
...The dealer recommended against the other awnings ...
sorry, but that's just dumb advice.

the awning package is well made, reasonably priced, a major benefit...

and great at resale....

the awnings are nearly bullet proof, zipdee has great customer service and PARTS as needed.

mine have been up/out during huge a huge wind storm, as in a tornado/micro burst, that did this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ted-17997.html

i didn't plan it that way, but it happened and they are fine.

rain is a bigger issue than wind (for the patio awning) most of the time.

it might not be a good idea 4 just any dealer to add them.

have the factory do it. it's not too late for changes, IF the unit isn't on the line.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
...the awning package is well made, reasonably priced, a major benefit...

and great at resale....

have the factory do it. it's not too late for changes, IF the unit isn't on the line.

cheers
2air'
I still have a little bit of time to make changes. I'm sure that they are well made but I'm still not convinced that I want them (notice that I said want - not need).

And... I never do anything for the sake of resale - thinking that far into the future makes me crazy!.

Thanks for the info though - I 'preciate it.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Congrats

Congratulations on your AS. Perhaps we will see you on the road sometime.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall
Congratulations on your AS. Perhaps we will see you on the road sometime.
That would be great. There is a good chance of that happening too - Rod and I plan to do a lot of camping in Arizona.

Jim
Old 03-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
We placed our order Feb 11 and got a call from the dealer yesterday...good news and bad news. The good news was that our AS was in. The bad news was that we ordered a 27Ft FB Intl CCD with the window Pkg in front and it came in with the single front window. The dealer, ORC in Council Bluffs, Iowa was great in making us a decent discounted offer to accept as it came in or just wait another 6-7 weeks to get what we originally ordered. We'll wait but we went to the dealer, looked, took a bunch of pictures, declined the offer (we don't even have a tow vehicle or place to store it yet!) and are even more excited than ever to get our Airstream!
BTW...if anyone want a great deal on this AS mistake, you should contact Outdoor Recreation Center in CB Iowa. They're going to send it back but the owner told me that AS made him a nice offer to inventory their mistake, but I think he's sending it back to the factory.
Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blevi
We placed our order Feb 11 and got a call from the dealer yesterday...good news and bad news. The good news was that our AS was in. The bad news was that we ordered a 27Ft FB Intl CCD with the window Pkg in front and it came in with the single front window. The dealer, ORC in Council Bluffs, Iowa was great in making us a decent discounted offer to accept as it came in or just wait another 6-7 weeks to get what we originally ordered. We'll wait but we went to the dealer, looked, took a bunch of pictures, declined the offer (we don't even have a tow vehicle or place to store it yet!) and are even more excited than ever to get our Airstream!
BTW...if anyone want a great deal on this AS mistake, you should contact Outdoor Recreation Center in CB Iowa. They're going to send it back but the owner told me that AS made him a nice offer to inventory their mistake, but I think he's sending it back to the factory.
We would have done the same thing - the panoramic window makes a huge difference. Better to wait.

As for storage - we're in the same boat. There is a storage facility a couple of miles from here that has storage under cover - a real plus in an area subject to hail storms. We're the next on the list for an under cover space. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, we are considering putting it into an RV park near by. They have full hook-up pull-thrus for $14/night on a monthly basis. We may do that for the first month until we get used to it all.

Good luck in getting your unit. Post pictures!

Jim
Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
That would be great. There is a good chance of that happening too - Rod and I plan to do a lot of camping in Arizona.

Jim
Lots of great places here in AZ. We are still fairly new to this, but have been to quite a few spots. We are actually headed over your way for a restoration rally at the end of April in the ABQ area.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall
Lots of great places here in AZ. We are still fairly new to this, but have been to quite a few spots. We are actually headed over your way for a restoration rally at the end of April in the ABQ area.
What are your favorite spots in AZ?

We're right between ABQ and SFe - next time you're over this way let us know!

Jim