Old 03-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
Congrats Jim!! The waiting is agony but it makes delivery day that much more fun!! What are the cool options that you're adding??
The one I'm most excited about is the solar inverter. Most of our camping will be between New Mexico and Arizona and it's really sunny out here!

We're also upgrading the Audio/Video. I was thinking about doing that as an after-market option, but I want the pre-wiring to be done at the factory. So, I might as well just have them do the whole thing. We're both movie buffs so we'll be spending our inside time watching flicks.

The waiting is killing me!!! I obsess with it every day and I'm researching everything I can about RVing and Airstreams! At least I don't work any more so I'm not falling down on the job!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Jim, I just found this thread. Congratulations. We got our first Airstream last spring and know the excitement. I will stay tuned on the thread for the pictures.

Caryl

Old 03-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
The one I'm most excited about is the solar inverter. Most of our camping will be between New Mexico and Arizona and it's really sunny out here!

We're also upgrading the Audio/Video. I was thinking about doing that as an after-market option, but I want the pre-wiring to be done at the factory. So, I might as well just have them do the whole thing. We're both movie buffs so we'll be spending our inside time watching flicks.

The waiting is killing me!!! I obsess with it every day and I'm researching everything I can about RVing and Airstreams! At least I don't work any more so I'm not falling down on the job!
I ordered a bunch of stuff on ours when we ordered and I'd like to recommend the awning pkg. Not only does it look cool but it will help keep it cool out in sun. Dreaming is great huh????
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
I ordered a bunch of stuff on ours when we ordered and I'd like to recommend the awning pkg. Not only does it look cool but it will help keep it cool out in sun. Dreaming is great huh????
I love dreamin' about streamin'

The dealer recommended against the other awnings - although I like the idea of keeping sun out. One thing we have to be careful of out here is the wind. The winds can be fierce and sudden. If they catch an awning it could do a good bit of damage.

What did you guys order for options on yours??
Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
...The dealer recommended against the other awnings ...
sorry, but that's just dumb advice.

the awning package is well made, reasonably priced, a major benefit...

and great at resale....

the awnings are nearly bullet proof, zipdee has great customer service and PARTS as needed.

mine have been up/out during huge a huge wind storm, as in a tornado/micro burst, that did this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ted-17997.html

i didn't plan it that way, but it happened and they are fine.

rain is a bigger issue than wind (for the patio awning) most of the time.

it might not be a good idea 4 just any dealer to add them.

have the factory do it. it's not too late for changes, IF the unit isn't on the line.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
...the awning package is well made, reasonably priced, a major benefit...

and great at resale....

have the factory do it. it's not too late for changes, IF the unit isn't on the line.

cheers
2air'
I still have a little bit of time to make changes. I'm sure that they are well made but I'm still not convinced that I want them (notice that I said want - not need).

And... I never do anything for the sake of resale - thinking that far into the future makes me crazy!.

Thanks for the info though - I 'preciate it.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Congrats

Congratulations on your AS. Perhaps we will see you on the road sometime.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall
Congratulations on your AS. Perhaps we will see you on the road sometime.
That would be great. There is a good chance of that happening too - Rod and I plan to do a lot of camping in Arizona.

Jim
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Omaha , Nebraska
We placed our order Feb 11 and got a call from the dealer yesterday...good news and bad news. The good news was that our AS was in. The bad news was that we ordered a 27Ft FB Intl CCD with the window Pkg in front and it came in with the single front window. The dealer, ORC in Council Bluffs, Iowa was great in making us a decent discounted offer to accept as it came in or just wait another 6-7 weeks to get what we originally ordered. We'll wait but we went to the dealer, looked, took a bunch of pictures, declined the offer (we don't even have a tow vehicle or place to store it yet!) and are even more excited than ever to get our Airstream!
BTW...if anyone want a great deal on this AS mistake, you should contact Outdoor Recreation Center in CB Iowa. They're going to send it back but the owner told me that AS made him a nice offer to inventory their mistake, but I think he's sending it back to the factory.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blevi
We placed our order Feb 11 and got a call from the dealer yesterday...good news and bad news. The good news was that our AS was in. The bad news was that we ordered a 27Ft FB Intl CCD with the window Pkg in front and it came in with the single front window. The dealer, ORC in Council Bluffs, Iowa was great in making us a decent discounted offer to accept as it came in or just wait another 6-7 weeks to get what we originally ordered. We'll wait but we went to the dealer, looked, took a bunch of pictures, declined the offer (we don't even have a tow vehicle or place to store it yet!) and are even more excited than ever to get our Airstream!
BTW...if anyone want a great deal on this AS mistake, you should contact Outdoor Recreation Center in CB Iowa. They're going to send it back but the owner told me that AS made him a nice offer to inventory their mistake, but I think he's sending it back to the factory.
We would have done the same thing - the panoramic window makes a huge difference. Better to wait.

As for storage - we're in the same boat. There is a storage facility a couple of miles from here that has storage under cover - a real plus in an area subject to hail storms. We're the next on the list for an under cover space. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, we are considering putting it into an RV park near by. They have full hook-up pull-thrus for $14/night on a monthly basis. We may do that for the first month until we get used to it all.

Good luck in getting your unit. Post pictures!

Jim
Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
That would be great. There is a good chance of that happening too - Rod and I plan to do a lot of camping in Arizona.

Jim
Lots of great places here in AZ. We are still fairly new to this, but have been to quite a few spots. We are actually headed over your way for a restoration rally at the end of April in the ABQ area.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall
Lots of great places here in AZ. We are still fairly new to this, but have been to quite a few spots. We are actually headed over your way for a restoration rally at the end of April in the ABQ area.
What are your favorite spots in AZ?

We're right between ABQ and SFe - next time you're over this way let us know!

Jim
Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
I love dreamin' about streamin'

The dealer recommended against the other awnings - although I like the idea of keeping sun out. One thing we have to be careful of out here is the wind. The winds can be fierce and sudden. If they catch an awning it could do a good bit of damage.

What did you guys order for options on yours??
Sorry for the delay. We ordered the awning pkg, the audio/video pkg, 2nd fantastic fan for the bedroom, went from 13500 btu to the 15000 btu a/c unit with heat pump{ I hate heat,need a/c!! and I like the heat pump}, decal pkg{looks very cool}, deleted the oven and put the microwave in it's place and gained more storage. I can't think of anything else cause I'm at work and don't have my file handy. If I think of anything else important I'll let you know. If you want to add something now is the time. Don't let the dealer tell you that you can't. As long as your unit isn't on line yet you can adjust. Keep me posted.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Sorry for the delay. We ordered the awning pkg, the audio/video pkg, 2nd fantastic fan for the bedroom, went from 13500 btu to the 15000 btu a/c unit with heat pump{ I hate heat,need a/c!! and I like the heat pump}, decal pkg{looks very cool}, deleted the oven and put the microwave in it's place and gained more storage. I can't think of anything else cause I'm at work and don't have my file handy. If I think of anything else important I'll let you know. If you want to add something now is the time. Don't let the dealer tell you that you can't. As long as your unit isn't on line yet you can adjust. Keep me posted.
I forgot to mention - we also ordered the 2nd fan and upgraded to the 15K BTU HVAC package.

We're keeping the oven though - I like to bake and only use a microwave for defrosting and reheating. I think I can live without the microwave before giving up the oven.

What does the decal package look like?

Jim