Old 03-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Thanks! I really appreciate your taking the time to visit my sites. The synapticstorm site is on temporary hold while some work related junk gets settled. But I think it has potential to be really neat once it is up and going.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
How exciting!!! Congratulations on your new baby. You're just going to love her.

2air makes very good points about the transaction. Take heed.

The towing part will come, but there is a learning curve. Read everything you can on the subject, and talk to others who are experienced. Usually, the Airstream dealer is NOT a good source for towing information. Many of the salesmen know as much about towing as they do about brain surgery.

Take your time and do your homework. All of this RV/towing stuff will become clear.

Post baby pictures when she arrives.

Safe Travels,
Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
If there's any way at all you can swing a trip to Jackson Center the last couple of days your trailer is on the line, I would highly, highly recommend it. We were able to go through ours the last two days and identify several areas we wanted addressed that the inspectors missed, and the quality control people seemed happy we were there to catch those things so they could address them before the trailer left and the issues became dealer issues. As a result, our trailer was delivered with virtually no flaws, and on top of that, we really, really enjoyed the experience.

It takes a bit of coordination with the factory to get your travel schedule lined up, and they need the heads-up you're coming, but it was well worth it for us and a small financial price to pay to insepct something that cost us more than anything but our house.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #18
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Congrats. We took delivery of our 2008 Safari 27FBSE on 1/12/08. Haven't de-winterized it yet so obviously, it's sitting there, unused.
My choice was the 28 floor plan but the MRS, preferred the 27'.

Kinda funny that the 27 is actually 28' long and the 28 is 27'11".
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
We know about waiting! We started the purchase process last October with the agreement that we would take delivery in early March or April - the dealer would store our new trailer for the winter as we knew of no place to keep it for the winter. Salesman agreed. As 2air mentioned, look it over good! Little things that could easily be missed such as the rear screen not attached along one side. The big thing we didn't like was the black microwave sitting in the middle of the aluminum wall. Big, black and ugly. We told him if he couldn't find a stainless steel microwave (or chrome or whatever), it was a deal breaker! He called Jackson Center and they traded him a shiny one for the black one - no problem. The inside trim of the rear lights were very corroded. They replaced them - all of them, no problem but it had to be pointed out to them that the present ones were unacceptable. We walked around the entire trailer over and over and over again pointing out these problems. They made every change we requested. And last Saturday, we towed her home. First time I've ever towed a trailer larger than a U-Haul. We towed her about sixty miles in city traffic, small town traffic, country roads, and into our new storage area. Learning about the Equalizer Hitch is the most dramatic part of the learning curve. Towing was ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM. You go - it follows. It couldn't have been any simpler. We stopped for a traffic light on a steep hill - no problem. Everything worked as it was supposed to - only thing to remember is that it takes a little longer to do anything - start up in traffic, stop, get up to speed, etc...Not much, but a little. But now she's in her new home and we've already stripped the cushions and curtains in preparation for the new interior. Ocean Breeze is a noticeable interior but it's not us. We will change all the cushion upholstery and all the curtains. We've even changed the curtain divider between the bedroom and the galley. One design for the bedroom side and another for the dinette side. Still looking for the right rug(s) but that'll give us something to look for in our travels. You're going to love it......we do already! The anticipation was such a big deal and the real thing has made the wait that much more meaningful. Now if spring would only get here. I'm in my last month of full time working - retirement is April 1. We have a number of trips planned - NM is one of them.
The best part is being so new at it - everything is a NEW EXPERIENCE. Good Luck and Happy 'Streaming.
Prodigy Brake Controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
Old 03-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTruck
Congrats. We took delivery of our 2008 Safari 27FBSE on 1/12/08. Haven't de-winterized it yet so obviously, it's sitting there, unused.
My choice was the 28 floor plan but the MRS, preferred the 27'.

Kinda funny that the 27 is actually 28' long and the 28 is 27'11".
Congrats on your unit too. The reason that we're ordering it now is so we'll have it in the late spring - we didn't want to have it over the winter and not be able to go anywhere. In the Southwest we can take it out all year, but for us it was scheduling.

Yes - it is funny with the differences in length - or I should say no difference in length! We were all set to get the 25' SS SE. We really liked the salon area with the L shaped sofa but we really didn't like the bedroom (or lack of) We didn't care for the 27 ft because of the straight sofa on the side. It makes it difficult to kick back to watch a movie. You could drop the dinette down, but that's a pain. We did however, really like the bedroom.

When we saw that the 28 was really the same length as the 27 we started to consider it. We like both the salon area and the bedroom. It's the best of both.

We saw our first "real live" 28 footer this afternoon. Our dealer just got one in and we went down to Albuquerque to see it. It was a CCD but it was the same floor plan as our baby-to-be. Sweet layout!

We're also Ford F-150 fans. We have the 2004 extended cab 4x4 with the 5.4 V8. We're rated at 9300 lbs so we should be able to tow it with no problems.

Post some pictures when you take it out for your first trip.

Jim
Old 03-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
How exciting!!! Congratulations on your new baby. You're just going to love her.

2air makes very good points about the transaction. Take heed.

The towing part will come, but there is a learning curve. Read everything you can on the subject, and talk to others who are experienced. Usually, the Airstream dealer is NOT a good source for towing information. Many of the salesmen know as much about towing as they do about brain surgery.

Take your time and do your homework. All of this RV/towing stuff will become clear.

Post baby pictures when she arrives.

Safe Travels,
Brian
Thanks Brian - I'll be sure to post pictures - and yes, 2 air always has great information!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midamrail
If there's any way at all you can swing a trip to Jackson Center the last couple of days your trailer is on the line, I would highly, highly recommend it. We were able to go through ours the last two days and identify several areas we wanted addressed that the inspectors missed, and the quality control people seemed happy we were there to catch those things so they could address them before the trailer left and the issues became dealer issues. As a result, our trailer was delivered with virtually no flaws, and on top of that, we really, really enjoyed the experience.

It takes a bit of coordination with the factory to get your travel schedule lined up, and they need the heads-up you're coming, but it was well worth it for us and a small financial price to pay to insepct something that cost us more than anything but our house.
The idea of going to the factory for the last couple of days is an excellent one but I'm afraid we won't be able to. We have to be back east for 2 other trips very close to the same time - we just won't be able make that third trip.

I'm sure 2 air will give me some good guidance on inspecting it when we take delivery!

Jim
Old 03-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Congratulations!

I remember the anticipation after we put the deposit down until we took delivery - I'm jealous!

Ditto to what Midamrail said about seeing your baby on the production line.
We were able to do that with ours and the guys building her were very helpful - we had a zillion questions and must have spent the whole day inside, outside and under out new TT. I think it helped - any problems we had were minor or non-AS problems (bad circuit board on refrigerator, Fantastic Fan died).

If you can video-tape your walkthrough with your dealer, it'll make for informative teevee watching on your shakedown voyage.

Visit here often with ANY questions you have - none are too silly - we've all had them.

Best of Luck!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Congratulations!

I am so excited for you. We also recommend video-taping your delivery orientation. This will include instruction and demonstration on how to operate each component of your unit. There will be so many details and operational sequences given to you in a short amount of time that it will cause sensory over-load.

We decided not get an extended warranty after reading the comments on this forum. This will be offerred to you at time of delivery.

Make sure that you have all of the manufacturer's manuals for each of the trailer's components (jack, microwave oven, sound system, air conditioning/heater, refrigerator, hitch, etc.). They contain operation/maintenance information you must have to ensure warranty coverage. The AS owners manual will refer to these assuming that you have them. We did did not receive several manuals on delivery, not knowing what to look for. The dealership might not be unresponsive/helpful once the purchase is completed. Months after our purchase, the factory sent some of the missing manuals on our request. Other manuals had to be requested from the individual manufacturers. The power jack manual was missing and had information about separate wiring and fuse location different than what was given in the AS owner's manual.

Make sure that you are getting your money's worth for the delivery fee. At Anza-Borrego a week and a half ago, I met a gentleman from Bremerton, WA, who had just taken delivery of his new 25' FB Safari. He paid a $600 dealer preparation fee and reported that very little preparation was done. We paid $200 and had excellent service from our dealer.

To read more about our experiences over the past year, review "Silvergate's home at last" thread listed under 2007 Safari.

Happy trails to you,
Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Larry
I see you use the quote:

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" - Albert Schweitzer

It's a favorite of mine - I first saw it about 30 years ago.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mansfield , Massachusetts
Congratulations Jim! We have wanted an Airstream forever, and finally bought a 2007 27 foot Safari SE at the end of last summer, but due to family illness, have not taken it on its maiden voyage yet! We cannot wait! The dogs have given it their paw of approval.
Kat
Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgikat
Congratulations Jim! We have wanted an Airstream forever, and finally bought a 2007 27 foot Safari SE at the end of last summer, but due to family illness, have not taken it on its maiden voyage yet! We cannot wait! The dogs have given it their paw of approval.
Kat
Thanks Kat!

Where do you plan to go first? New England has so many totally cool places - so does Upstate NY. I'm partial to the Finger Lakes since that's where I got my start in life and lived for my ist 24 years!

Safe travels!

Jim
Old 03-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
The wait is killing me! Finally after 2 years, the A/S is going on order. We finally decided on the 2008 28 ft Safari SE - Midnight Sun. We're putting some cool options on it too!

I'll finish up the financing this week and as soon as I get the check from my broker for the down payment, the trailer goes on order. Then it's a 4 to 6 week wait - counting it down - minute by minute!

We don't plan of being home that much this summer. No, actually we will be home - at home in our 2nd home, the new 'streamer!

Jim
Congrats Jim!! The waiting is agony but it makes delivery day that much more fun!! What are the cool options that you're adding??

WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote