Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #101
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Ha! It's funny...when I moved to CO from MI 15 years ago, everyone ther thought I was from the "frozen north" and when I would come back to MI to visit people here seemed to think that everyone just skiied all year round in CO...it is currently 90 w/ 100 degree heat index temps and very high humidity! I know what it how hot it can get in CO (unless you're in high elvations)...
Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
Ha! It's funny...when I moved to CO from MI 15 years ago, everyone ther thought I was from the "frozen north" and when I would come back to MI to visit people here seemed to think that everyone just skiied all year round in CO...it is currently 90 w/ 100 degree heat index temps and very high humidity! I know what it how hot it can get in CO (unless you're in high elvations)...
Likewise, most think we live in the frozen north too. This summer is an anomaly. We had a long, hot summer in 2010, but I guess the definition of "hot" is subjective. "Hot" to us is anything over 80F. Mercifully, the summer humidity here is always low. Get lots of "humidity" in the winter though - in the form of rain. In Vancouver you don't tan - you rust.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #103
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas

AHHHHHH.............Thats MUCH better!!!!!

SHane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #104
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Btw,...You know your a Texan When:

You can say “110 degrees” without fainting…easily.

You know it’s a given that the true value of a parking place lies in the shade, not the distance to the door.

You’ve actually burned your hand opening your car door. (or front door for that matter)

You’re quite aware that seat belts make pretty good branding irons.

You know for a fact that in July, it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.

You’ve had experience gettin’ sunburned through your car window.

You realize asphalt has a liquid state.

You know that green grass DOES burn.

The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a bit chilly.

Hot water comes out of both taps.

You know all 4 seasons: Almost summer, Summer, Still summer, and Deer season.

In July, even though the kids are on summer vacation, not one person is out on the streets.

You don’t find it at all unusual for sunscreen to be sold year round, and kept at the front of the checkout counter.

SHane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I our signature you will see 'blog' There; you will see us working to plate this Airstream with a light weight aluminum bubble type insulation ...if you want to help us buy more of this covering (due to the AC motor going out two weeks ago) please hit the paypal donate button on any first page. The summer heat has knocked me down very hard and any small change you folks have will be greatly appreciated. I will only suggest this once so (sorry AIR forums) ...but it's important. I have almost got the top covered with Gorilla tape holding the pieces in place! And even the heat makes the adhesion let go at times so we have a huge roll of Gorilla Duct tape on stand by Appreciate it greatly. Bill Here's a picture I took just a few minutes ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	135581  
Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Jump in the truck and come over here...16 miles south of Gainsville. I have an AC I will give you. It was working great when I pulled it. It is to hot for you guys up there not to have an AC. PM me if you want.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Melody I PM'd you also emailed you...
Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #108
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
MR-What a generous gesture! Kudos to you!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
M-R I found you on the maps and will be calling ahead before we head that way as I had mentioned...Thanks Again, Bill
Old 07-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #110
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
BTW, the 1964 tsunami which originated in Alaska after a major earthquake - the majority of damage and loss of life occurred in California and Oregon.

British Columbia is not the PNW (Pacific Northwest). That is a common mistake made by Texans etc. The Pacific Northwest encompasses Washington - Oregon, not B.C.
Alright, alright. Thanks. The Canadian author of Cascadia's Fault makes the case quite well. I wouldn't call this alarmist (a good read if you enjoy Simon Winchester for example), but the clock is ticking. Tonight, or in 2246. With a hurricane we have some notice. Earthquake & tsunami there won't be an escape (that matters).

From San Fran, CA to north of Vancouver, BC. Nowhere in the Ring of Fire is any longer a good idea to be as the planet continues heating up. As would be anywhere south of IH-10 due to an increasingly permanent drought.

And Canada is just a slightly more expensively run 51st state anyway. The "border" is just handy arbitrage for those with sub-machine guns, as fictive as our southern one.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #111

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
It may be HOT but were camping at Clinton Lake in KS and it's so hot but with some ice the vodka is cold. and the ac is working to keep the pups cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4009318774.png
Views:	144
Size:	867.5 KB
ID:	135611  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Way to go dallas!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
It is Friday 9:00pm Eastern time,
86 degrees in NC.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #114
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Updated: July 22, 2011 7:00 pm ET

It's hot but how hot? Let's put Friday's heat into perspective.
Friday Afternoon Heat Index Values

Northeast heat index values at 2pm ET on July 22, 2011. More Heat Maps

Newark, NJ: New all-time record high of 108 degrees. Breaks old all-time record of 105 degrees set on August 9, 2001.

New York, NY: Central Park topped out at 104 degrees. Second hottest temperature on record. Hottest temperature since 1977.

Dulles International Airport, VA (IAD): New all-time record high of 105 degrees. This breaks the old all-time record high of 104 set back in 1988 and 1983.

Baltimore, MD: Daily record high of 106 degrees. All-time record high is 107 degrees set on July 10, 1936.

Trenton, NJ: Daily record high of 106 degrees.

Philadelphia, PA: Daily record high of 103 degrees.

Atlantic City, NJ: Daily record high of 105 degrees. Old record high for July 22 was 98 degrees set in 1998. Second hottest day on record. Max heat index of 120 degrees. Hottest temperature recorded since 1969.

Boston, MA: Tied for 2nd highest temperature on record at 103 degrees. Hottest day in exactly 85 years!

Washington, DC: No daily record high set. However, peak heat index of 121 degrees.

Hartford, CT: New all-time record high of 103 degrees.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #115
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
The coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco.. well said.

Valleys are hot and the fog pulls in like a big vacuum.

Sorry its so hot elsewhere. Come visit us!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I took my 15000 BTU coleman apart and cleaned all the cooling fins. Put it all back together and turned it on during the hotest part of day in Georgia. It was 95 not including the heat index and the airstream was sitting in the sun. Wow! what a difference in the functioning of the air conditioner. It cooled down nicely.

Brian
Old 07-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
And Canada is just a slightly more expensively run 51st state anyway. The "border" is just handy arbitrage for those with sub-machine guns, as fictive as our southern one.
You know, most Canadians would go ape over that, but I'm not.
Why would Americans really want us?

Most Americans spend their lives seated before the evening news that ends with another weather forecast that warns of "a cold front moving down from Canada." Even though half the U.S. is boiling under a heat wave at present, they really do not want a lump of of ice 100,000,000 times larger than the one that sank the Titanic.

American presidents don't seem to "last too long" in Canada either. Franklin Delano Roosevelt went swimming in the cold waters off New Brunswick and never walked again. John Diefenbaker handed John F. Kennedy a shovel and made him plant a tree. Kennedy spent the rest of his presidential term with a bad back sitting in a White House rocking chair. Warren Harding stopped off in Vancouver on his way back from Alaska, developed a fever, and died on the way to San Francisco without reaching Washington again.

Added to that is our anti-gun laws. Canadians are only permitted to carry potato peelers. (Big-game hunters are allowed some leniency, though). You Americans would have to show us how to shoot. We can't see too well - must be night blindness from living all those winter months in the dark. The big-game hunters can't even see very well....or shoot straight....judging from all the cars, barns, cows, billboards, outhouses, mothers-in-law etc. who are mistaken for a "moose."

Then there is that ring of fire you mentioned, the one that western Canada sits on just waiting to swallow-up these horribly conceited Canadian folks.

But there are certain trade issues - tariffs - that Americans have enjoyed, thanks to the auspices of some dufus Canadian politicians, but I won't get into that, other than saying why buy the cow when you can the milk for free as worried mothers often warn their daughters.

In closing, thanks for the armageddon book recommendation REDNAX, I've always wanted to know what it will be exactly like when I go.

It's been enjoyable....
FAN

Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #118
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
back on topic...( which is extremely rare for me so don't think this will keep happening) I just got an email from an RV renting company, and just before I hit the "Unsubscribe" button I read this Camping Hint 22. I think it is aimed at renters of this company's RVs, but I found it interesting, and pass it along here for whatever you would like to do with it, as long as I am not physically involved in whatever that is and besides I already walk funny.

Roof Air Conditioners - One problem we see over and over again is the roof air conditioner isn't cooling. It's blowing but the air coming out of it is barely cool.

Most of the time the problem is the unit is freezing up. Most people equate the use of a roof air conditioner with the central air conditioning system they have at home so they keep lowering the temperature setting to Cooler. This is almost the exact opposite of what they should do.

The roof air conditioner on an RV is a sealed system. When the compressor is running, it is under a great deal of pressure. In order to cool properly, the compressor must cycle on and off. If it runs constantly, it never shuts off so it never relieves the head pressure on the compressor. It then will freeze up. When it does, it stops cooling.

After being off for and hour or so, it will again start cooling but will just repeat the freezing up process if the thermostat is set to too low a temperature.

The first thing you need to understand is no RV air conditioner will keep the inside of an RV at 68 degrees in the middle of the summer. The systems simply can't do it and the RV's aren't insulated enough to allow it to happen. RV's could be insulated enough to allow it but they would weight about 50% more and be really hard to handle.

To get the peak performance out of a roof air conditioner, never set the thermostat lower than 3/4 or 74 degrees. This will allow it to cycle on and off. It will produce maximum cooling at this setting.

You may be a tad bit warmer than you like during the heat of the afternoon but overall, you'll end up being much cooler than you will by cranking it down. You can maximize the effectiveness by closing all the shades on the RV. If it has a patio awning and or window awnings, make sure they are out during the day to give you some shade over the windows and doors. If you have a choice of spots in the RV park, try to pick one with trees near by. They'll keep the area around them at least 5 degrees cooler.

happily for us, 78-80 deg is just about perfect as far as we're concerned. 74 would be a bit on the coolish side.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #119

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
@Gringo: While the actual advice is sound, I don't think they know what it means when an AC system "freezes up" or perhaps I just have a narrow view of that. I think that's when the evaporator coils develop ice and restrict air movement across them.

Still, having the temperature set where the compressor can occasionally cycle is both more efficient and better for the longevity of the system. It's just semantics, I guess.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #120
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Nailed it.....

I know we not in Texas.....but, it has been very hot and humid here recently.

The AC has been on in the AS for the last week, thermo set at 80 degrees.

Doesn't run at night and on a 90 degree day it only comes on for about 15 min per hour. You can still go inside and be very comfortable, the lower humidity and 10 degree differential is very noticeable. The bathroom vent is the only one open.