Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
when i pulled into the drive at 6 last night, my tundra outside temp thermometer read 113. at 10 p.m. it was still 103 degrees.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #142
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I used to complain about the heat until I spent two summers in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. Now I just shut up and drink more water. I'm happy to be in Texas with my family now, matter how hot it is.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #143
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I used to complain about the heat until I spent two summers in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. Now I just shut up and drink more water. I'm happy to be in Texas with my family now, matter how hot it is.
Right-0n!!

Thank You
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Not omly water for drinking, But try adding Braggs Apple Cidar Vinegar (from any health food (GNC) store...about six bucks a bottle. Has a sipping recipe on the label, or google it. I sip on this throughout the day - while I airbrush, to keep a few steps above that 'Heatwave feeling'. A believe me it is an aquired taste! But you will see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0007-4.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	481.9 KB
ID:	136777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002-4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	136778  

Old 08-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Top:

Thank you for your service to our country. And you are right, from what I have heard this heat wave pales by comparison to what you experienced over there.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #146
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We started drinking canned coconut water ( several brands from thailand) because I read in an airline magazine that it might help nightly leg cramps. And by golly, in both our cases it absolutely does.

But what I noticed is how well it quenches thirst, too. We pretty much are sipping on something just about all day, every day, all year long here. I've kinda gravitated to Crystal Light mix, 50/50 pink lemonade and tea. But this coconut water stuff...I swear it feels like it doesn't even get to your stomach before your throat absorbs it. Amazing.

We've tried three brands, and the only one I would definitely reccommend you NOT buy is the Goya brand. They got it wrong. The other two brands got it right.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #147
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Smile TOP et. al.

Thank you for your service. In addition, thank you for putting a new perspective on the the heat and humidity. Enjoy your family. And home.
Lucy815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #148
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Does anyone where I can purchase a vent cushion for the skylight in my AS? I measured and it looks to be about 19.5 or 20 X 20. I seem to find them for the standard 14X14 vent but not the size I need. We have just started living full time in our AS in Central Texas and it is sooooo hot. We were able to move to a partial shade site which has helped. I have pano windows in the front and back which don't help the heat situation. Any helpful hints would be great. We are newbies and learning fast that August was probably not the best time to start full timing but we do LOVE the trailer. Thanks!
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #149
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Vent cushion? Insulation. This has been used effectively.

Try and stay cool!!

Bob
Old 08-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #150
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
You Don't need AC here!! Ever think of going to the Upper Peninsula (the UP)of Mi.. It's hardly ever hot and is so beautiful.Driving along US 2 along Lake Michigan for miles with no houses is really wonderful.When it gets a little warm pull over and cool down with a swim in the cool waters of the Lake.THe UP has many wonderful campgrounds and very little traffic.The UP is a great place for a cool vacation.Check it out.There are wonderful uncrowded campgrounds with very beautiful scenery.My bothers in Dallas are very jealous in the summer.Keep on rolling and exploring. DR J Mi. Silver
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #151
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
In addition to adding reflectix in the vents like Mr. Cross suggests, I would cover your windows with it on the interior and close the curtains. Always seemed to help somewhat when I needed to cool off the trailer. We will be in a similar situation once our 56 Sovereign is done since it almost has more windows than skin!!!!

Steve
Old 08-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #152
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Thanks so much for the Reflectix material info! Someone in the Rv park I'm in told me about the vent cushion. They placed it in their roof vent and said it helped with the heat. Made sense to me but since all I have are two fantastic fans and this skylight I didn't think I was a a candidate. Great info. Looks like I have to order it from the company which I will do ASAP!!! I will also put in inside the windows. Thanks again!
IT'S HOT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #153
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Reflectix at Lowe's and Home Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds View Post
Looks like I have to order it from the company which I will do ASAP!!! I will also put in inside the windows. Thanks again!
IT'S HOT!!!!!!!!!!!
kds,
I bought the Reflectix at Lowe's here in town. I have it in every window in our trailer. There is no way we could camp in any sun without it.

Lucy749, Goal15 Bob et al,

You are very welcome. The honor is all mine.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #154
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Bahrain

I too used to fuss about the Texas heat, then last summer during August I had to fly to Bahrain for a week for some trainning. That is the HOTTEST place I have ever been. 136 degrees during the day! The only way I could explain to people the way the heat felt was to tell them to go to there oven in the house and put it on the highest setting and when it reached that setting open the oven and stick there head in there. Thats what it felt like when you walked out of your hotel room. Most miserable week Ive had to endure. Ive never been so glad to get back to Texas. Now when I hear people grip about Texas heat I offer to fly them to Bahrain for a week, that would defantly change there tune.
O and a swimming pool over there dont even think about getting in it, you will boil! Unless they have a cooling system that constanly cools the water so that you can get in it. Yea sounds crazy right? I can assure you Texas is not all that bad as far as heat. I learned to be thankful for the weather I have at home, it could always be worse!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #155
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Right-0n!!

Thank You

It's not just the HEAT..it's the drought.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_south.htm

Search Texas drought.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #156
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
Hi I've been thinking about storing my 25 foot 1999 Safari in Florida instead of taking it back to Michigan every Spring. What I want to know is about storing my Safari down in Florida in the summer will the heat damage my trailer???Where and how do you recommend storage???I'm thinking of storage in the Fort Myers Area. What do you think? I've read the heat can cause damage to the interior ceiling( the glue let's go ceiling then sags.) Please someone answer back I don't want to hurt my Airstream due to extreme heat!! Thank You DrJ. Michigan silver
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #157
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
POI...The salty air in the beach area may be more of a concern than the heat.
Indoors would be a option to consider or away from the beach.

Waiting for the Fla Streamers to chime in...
Old 08-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #158
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Thumbs up Found it at Home Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
kds,
I bought the Reflectix at Lowe's here in town. I have it in every window in our trailer. There is no way we could camp in any sun without it.

Lucy749, Goal15 Bob et al,

You are very welcome. The honor is all mine.
Thanks, Top. Found the Reflectix that Robert suggested at Home Depot in Boerne! I'll be putting it in all windows and vents. Can't thank all of you enough for the helpful info!

kds