Old 03-23-2016, 11:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
DHart, you are very right that Airstreams aren't high on the value perspective. Too bad the Airstream was just a bit too small for your downsize. After searching and learning about RV's for years, one good thing I've noticed is that there is something for everyone. Hopefully you didn't take a bath on the Airstream.

I recently had to choose my path and settled for a 30 Classic Twin. I was going to go with a Pendleton but I didn't feel there would be enough storage for full timing, even if it's just me and my German Shepherd. I believe the Classic Twin has the most storage of any modern Airstream. I don't think I could do it full time with two people and two large dogs.

I am also an avid off-roader, so I made a compromise and got a Power Wagon as my tow vehicle. It's kinda like a large Rubicon wrangler for off-roading if you are unfamiliar with it. That way I can tow the Airstream and off-road quite a bit, and also toss a motorcycle on the back.

Sometimes it takes trial and error and hopefully your Newmar and Jeep will suit you the best!
Zybane... it sounds like you have a great solution for your RVing needs. The Power Wagon sounds like an awesome, versatile tow vehicle for the Airstream!

I think if it were just myself and one medium size dog, the 30' Serenity probably might have been ok. But our RVing needs go a good bit beyond that.

My wife and I are very active computer users: we run a busy digital graphics business online;

we also have two dogs (one large, one medium);

I am:

an avid recording musician/composer needing at least one guitar and gear;

an avid, retired commercial photographer needing a modest kit of gear for that;

an avid shooter, needing a small mobile firearms kit with handguns and long guns with ammunition (for sporting clays, defensive practice, etc.);

an avid radio-phyte, needing a small kit of HAM radio gear;

We are

avid off-roaders wanting to have our Rubicon Wrangler along with us;

and, we often go RVing for several weeks, to several months at a time, requiring a nice stock of supplies, particularly stocks useful for dry-camping.

Thus, for us, it so happens that our needs exceed the space and amenities available from Airstream. It was my error in thinking that the Airstream would meet these needs. This is nothing against the brand, nor the models. They just don't quite meet our particular needs.

I wrongly assumed that as long as we had great recliners for our long-term seating comfort and a great queen mattress for sleeping comfort, that the 30' Airstream would be ok for us.

I greatly underestimated our storage needs and I also greatly undervalued having clear, wide-open floorspace inside the rig to make use of when in camp, for our maneuvering and especially when having our greatly valued dogs along with us.

I remain an Airstream fan, but just happen to be much better served by a 32' Class A rig.

This is the Wrangler that we bring along with us (towed behind the Class A) when we go RVing across the land:

Old 03-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Congratulations on the move to the bigger unit. Gotta say, the old setup sure did look classy though.

We have been thinking about buying a Jeep and having the wife and kiddo's tag along for months. But I ended up just buying a Powerwagon instead. I sure can see the appeal though.

Happy journeys.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Once family... always family. Please keep posting good places to stay, eat, and visit while traveling. That beautiful crisp clean rear window is begging for a ''Air Forums'' sticker. Many happy and safe trips with your Newmar DHart, and don't be a stranger.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Congratulations on the move to the bigger unit. Gotta say, the old setup sure did look classy though.

We have been thinking about buying a Jeep and having the wife and kiddo's tag along for months. But I ended up just buying a Powerwagon instead. I sure can see the appeal though.

Happy journeys.
Hey buddy... thank you. I need to look into the Powerwagon... sounds like a great vehicle! Anything that can reliably carry you on off-road explorations is well worth the expense in my view. Off-road travel is fabulous life-experience!

Happy journeys to you, as well, and hopefully, we will meet up somewhere along the RV trail!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Once family... always family. Please keep posting good places to stay, eat, and visit while traveling. That beautiful crisp clean rear window is begging for a ''Air Forums'' sticker. Many happy and safe trips with your Newmar, and don't be a stranger.
streaminwild... thanks so much for the positive well-wishes. I will always hold my Airstream memories as warm and wonderful and will continue to seek out Airstreamers during our travels, for sharing the love of travel and RVing!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
The Power wagon looks awesome... the only 'must-need' elements for me would be: to tackle off-road really well requires the right tires, even more than 4wd, itself. Having 4WD, as well as seriously capable off-road tires is the ticket! Great off-road capable tires don't make for very good pavement tires/ride/noise, but the trade off is well worth the price.

I prefer Nitto TRAIL Grappler meats on the Wrangler, though they are a bit noisy on pavement and I wouldn't choose them on a 1/2 ton truck which would be pulling an Airstream.

But we also have a 2016 GMC Sierra Z-71 4x4 which, if we upgraded to Nitto TERRA Grapplers (more of an on-road/off-road blend than TRAIL Grapplers are), would make a good off-road vehicle, considering the size of a full-size American pick-up. TERRA Grapplers offer a great blend of on-road comfort and quiet, along with good off-road traction and capability. A friend with a Rubicon Wrangler has a set of TERRA Grapplers which have performed remarkably well off-road in the Rockies and are pretty quiet on pavement.

What tires have you found for the Powerwagon that give excellent off-road performance without being too bothersome when on pavement when towing a trailer?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Hey buddy... thank you. I need to look into the Powerwagon... sounds like a great vehicle! Anything that can reliably carry you on off-road explorations is well worth the expense in my view. Off-road travel is fabulous life-experience!

Happy journeys to you, as well, and hopefully, we will meet up somewhere along the RV trail!
Yea - since we can't pull a jeep, it was the best alternative. The only truck with warranty that comes with true real front and rear lockers, on the fly manual shift transfer case and only vehicle that comes with a 12000lb Warn Winch from the factory. Not to mention the 2 inch additional factory lift over the regular 4x4. Lots of under body armor and the meaty BFG 33's on 17inchs for lots of sidewall action.

Downside is payload suffers from the softer springs used that give greater flex off road.

I'm a fan. It's our compromise vehicle. I mean a short wheel base Jeep will always do better.

We've got Durtracs now and I'll be honest, not a fan. I have had Toyo's, General Grabbers and Nitto Trail Grappler. Right now I am leaning towards getting the General Grabber AT's again. They where a great all around tire.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
That's a house!!!
Good luck and Happy Trails

JCW
Old 03-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
What a great post! So true about there being no "perfect" RV. Especially since needs and desires change over time. Thanks also for sharing your insightful posts about your decision process and your discovery of pros and cons of various RVs. Have fun out there!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Good choice on the Newmar - probably the best motorhome on the market.
Enjoy!
Old 03-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Congratulations on your new purchase!

I love our Airstream dearly, but there are days when the lavatory seems to be getting smaller, the space around the foot of the bed seems to be shrinking, and I find myself longing for a bit more storage space.

We are occasionally joined on RV trips by my brother-in-law and his wife-- they "downsized" last year from a 39' Class A to a 37' Class A. They never lack for storage inside or on the outside of the coach, plus I can certainly appreciate the space they enjoy with all the slide-outs and I'm thoroughly jealous of their stacked washer and dryer!

Happy travels!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
After seeing the interior photos of your new motor home your treasonous defection from the tribe can be forgiven! Just this once. That full side slide is awesome!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks so much to you all for the kind and supportive posts.

I look forward to meeting some of you, perhaps, out there on the trail. I know how to find you Airstream people! ;-)

We're all RVers at heart, living the travel dream, regardless of the type of rigs we hang out in.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, nice motorhome; I'm sure you will enjoy it. At one time, we were thinking of switching to a similar motorhome. I liked the 32'er, but my wife liked the 36'er. [the 36'er had a washer/dryer] Needless to say we still have our trailer.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote