Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Wink It's an Airstream!!!!!

I thought I would share this with everyone, made us chuckle. For the last 5 days my family camped at our local campground for our first Airstream outing.
The first day when the ranger brought our firewood he stated well my uncle John had one of those (we all have heard that). The next day as I was raising the blinds for the day an older gentleman was about 2 ft from the front window I just kinda waved and he turned around quickly, don't know if I scared him or what. The same night we had just started our campfire and had just sat down around the fire when this couple walked by and we heard one ask the other what kind of camper is that and the other one said "Oh that's an Airstream, and there real expensive". My husband and I just had a good chukle if they only had known our Airstream was 31 years young.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We get the same reaction from people when we camp. When I have the trailer in front of the house, I have given tours to the electric meter reader (same age as the trailer), the postal carrier and the pizza dude. I have even had truck drivers at rest areas chat with me about the rig.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I get that a lot...

"When did they stop making those?"
"How old is it?"
"Those things are kind of expensive, aren't they?"
And the one that makes me feel REALLY old:
"My grandfather used to have one of those!"
Old 03-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Airstream

Hey I am still fresh into the Airstream thing and I realized that I also got a lot of the "Hey my grandparent or parents used to have one of those."
The expensive thing always comes up.
Pointing at the Airstream by passerbys.
Oh and the Hey I saw these on Television...They say these are the best campers ever built.
They still build those.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
When people ask how old ours is and I tell them it's a 1951 they almost fall over. Many ask me again, not sure they heard right the first time. I've had comments like "it's older than my house", " older than my parents (I hate that one), and the one I hate the most "did you buy it new?" although I get that more with the '57 wagon we tow with than the trailer. Never a dull moment with an Airstream.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
In one year

It's great to surprise people when they see a beautifully restored and polished 50's or 60's Airstream, but in just one year I've done the reverse to 5 or 6 families.

They've thought "oh I wish they still made these things" - and I've given them a tour of my new CCD. I'm glad the "Airstream" rug has a rubber backing! The drool would have done serious damage!

The CCD interior is completely unexpected by folks who think Airstreams went out with the 70's.

It's fun isn't it?

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
When my oldest daughter came to visit from KC, we were pulling into the driveway when she saw the Bambi and said "Where did you ever find another one in such good condition?". I told her we bought it new, and she said, "They still make those?
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
I did forget to mention, one day I was walking around and met this nice older man and his wife I was drawn to there sob because he had the cutest little 3 flag holder on his camper it attached to one of the side windows of his camper. He told me he was wanting to get one that went on like the Airstreams but not enough room to install. He was telling me back in the 50's he was camping in Florida and down below in a field were Airstreams as far as you could see, first thing that came to my mind wonder if Wally was there?
He went on to say you know in the 50's camping was not common as know. This was going to be there last trip camping and he looked kinda sad, he stated age was catching up to him. He was born in Mississippi and his wife was born in Maine so they were traveling in between.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Nice thread. Really nice stories thanks for sharing!

I just love these camping stories! Over time as we camp we have had many of the same responses. Just part of the great experience of Airstreaming!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Hey Beck where did ya'll camp and did everything go smoothly? We are getting ready to go to jp coleman in about 2 weeks, wish ya'll could bring chummy and visit. We seem to be the only ones who camp around here with an airstream. Eventhough we know where six are parked, I don't think they ever use them. We really haven't seen many who are even interested in the airstreams around here, or either they are to polite to be nosy.
Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well, what I get is similar but annoying. They look at the 1978 Argosy and say "oh I thought at first it was an Airstream". I tell them it is an Airstream Argosy and they don't know what that is. I have given up telling them they were only made for about ten years back in the 70's. They never believe it's that old, whatever it is. It's fun really.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Talking Say "Welcome" with Flamingoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by early
Hey Beck where did ya'll camp and did everything go smoothly? We are getting ready to go to jp coleman in about 2 weeks, wish ya'll could bring chummy and visit. We seem to be the only ones who camp around here with an airstream. Eventhough we know where six are parked, I don't think they ever use them. We really haven't seen many who are even interested in the airstreams around here, or either they are to polite to be nosy.
Dawn
Silly Lawn art goes a long way toward making folks feel free to come up and visit you. I have three small pale pink metal flamingoes and two big ones. I made a birds nest of hay and tucked all five in, mom, dad and three chicks. It resides on my propane tank cover. People drive by, start laughing and walk right up. The Airstream Christmas lights may help too.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

I'll have to invest Tin Lizzie I personally am not very shy, so I don't mind peeping at other AS
Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:59 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Well, what I get is similar but annoying. They look at the 1978 Argosy and say "oh I thought at first it was an Airstream". I tell them it is an Airstream Argosy and they don't know what that is. I have given up telling them they were only made for about ten years back in the 70's. They never believe it's that old, whatever it is. It's fun really.
Judy, I finally started telling people our Argosy was an "extremely rare, painted Airstream." It saved me having to explain what an Argosy is.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up Is that a new trailer??

Hello all, We were camping on our first trip out with the 75 Argosy last summer and the people next to us stated " Is that a new trailer made like an Airstream???" Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hey, how's that "new" Argosy working out for you. We'd like to see pictures of your project. You did such a great job on the other one, I know this will be great too. By the way, should be bringing that 58 home soon. Judy
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Talking Hello Judy

Good to hear that you will be briinging yours home soon. We will be seeing ours in person around April 8 or so and will be bringing it back to Canada with us then. I have already got our lists made out and some new things ordered already ... we will post pics as soon as we get her home... Like waiting for Christmas.. we have the Argosy bug reallllllllllllllllllllllly bad... lol.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote