Old 05-14-2004, 06:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
, Texas
Smile It's a Girl!!

It's a girl!... this is the type of thing that I am not quite clear on being a new Airstream owner. Yes, we are picking up our 2004 28' International CCD today and there are so many unknowns about the protocol of owning a new Airstream.

For example, should I attempt to break a bottle of champagne over the unit, with the hopes of not putting a dent in it?? Is there any pixie dust that should be spread over the inside of the unit to keep the creditors away?? Should I spend the better part of today inside the "camper"??, or outside under the awning admiring her in her full glory? Will I get the best sites in the park, now that I have an Airstream (I feel like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack with his yacht).

It all sounds so simple, but this is death until do us part, and I don't want to mess it up... any advice to a newbie would be appreciated.

Happy camper,
Towhead

PS. I'll try and take some pics this weekend and then figure out how to post them to the site.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
TH,

Oh, you lucky devil! What a weekend you will have!

We quietly enjoyed the "presence" of our new CCD when it arrived last month. It took us several days to discover all the bells and whistles and become acclimated to having another A/S. What a change from our "vintage". Some of the changes are good (Fantastic Fans, remote water heater lighter, a gray water tank, monitoring system, a good furnace, room to roam, etc.) and some bad (investment and commitment, not as "retro", heavier, etc.). If you've not had one before, what an experience you will have!

Just take it slow and easy and double check everything. The A/S manual you will receive has some great checklists in it. Use them until it all becomes second nature. Take your time hitching and unhitching, especially. Check those trailer lights and brakes! First and foremost, be safe!

You will need some other supplies, too, but your dealer should be able to get you going pretty well. I've bought most of my every day supplies (tank chemicals, hoses, an inline water filter, connectors, etc.) from Camping World... The dealer will probably give you a chincey dump and water hose, some toilet paper, and a very short supply of chemicals as a "start-up pack"... In reality, you will need better quality and more quantity.

No christening for ours - yet. We haven't camped. Soon! Very soon!

Congratulations!

X

Old 05-14-2004, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Thumbs up Congratulations!

Towhead,

Congratulations!

I'm glad to see you finally got it.

Be careful with opening the champagne, though. I'd hate to see a big cork dent in the ceiling

Here's my suggestion;

Open your awning
Open your champagne under the awining
Enjoy the view
Go inside with your champagne
Sit everywhere to get a perspective
Try to get the grin off your face (I bet you can't)
Enjoy

Dennis
Old 05-14-2004, 08:38 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Towhead,

Congratulations!

I'm glad to see you finally got it.

Be careful with opening the champagne, though. I'd hate to see a big cork dent in the ceiling

Here's my suggestion;

Open your awning
Open your champagne under the awining
Enjoy the view
Go inside with your champagne
Sit everywhere to get a perspective
Try to get the grin off your face (I bet you can't)
Enjoy

Dennis
Point well taken on opening the champagne under the awning, but do I shake and aim the bottle at the unit beside me when popping the cork?? Come to think of it, my champagne comes in a box :
Old 05-14-2004, 09:48 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Congratulations Towhead,

Let us know how you plan to inaugurate the new girl. I see from your occupation that you probably got an excellent interest rate. Again congratulations and good luck.
Leonard

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Congrats!

One thing that takes getting used to is being the envy of the whole campground everywhere you go!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Congrats Towhead! Show us the pics!
Old 05-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Well, I think you should get a couple of silver nuggets, grind them up with a few greenbacks, and sprinkle the resulting confetti on your new baby as you name her!!! You might want to write little messages like -I will enjoy the time spent in this trailer and not worry about the payments and sprinkle them over her too. Keep one of those messages under your pillow to pull out in times of stress!- financial or otherwise!! congratulations- silver suz P.S. when our remodel is FINALLY finished enough to live in- I intend to use tiny pieces of aluminum, wiring, wood, blood sweat and tears as confetti!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Congrats Towhead...

on your arrival. Our trailers probably came off the line at roughly the same time. I picked up Welded Weenie in Ohio last week and drove home 6 hours to Chicago, and even went through a massive rush hour through downtown.

Check everything out to make sure all works. I camped out at the dealer for two nights. Good thing too, because there was a faulty something or other with the furnace, and LP detector, along with some very minor things.

Best wishes. Get here home safe and sound.

Jonathan
Old 05-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
First Weekend in Airstream

As promised, we picked up our Airstream last Friday and stayed the weekend to make sure everything was in good working order. Because we were more focused on getting the unit, we did not make any plans throughout the weekend. Which is what made it so enjoyable.

First, the 28' International CCD is better than advertised... it brings the Airstream experience to a whole new level. If you are contemplating getting the entertainment package in the CCD, I would suggest getting it. The unit's materials and design lend itself to getting premium surround sound, while enjoying your favorited DVD (in our case, it was Scooby Doo for the girls). Then there is the interior design and practicality/usefulness of the space. It is very pleasing to the eyes and has that quality feel to it. There were a number of people that commented on our unit and either stuck their head in to admire it or walked through it.

So back to the no plans theme. We ended going to a local establishment that featured catfish, although I noticed they had a 16oz T-bone steak dinner for $8.95!! The next evening we saw and followed a sign for a pig roast, which was off the beaten path, but at a very nice cabin/summer home. When we got back to our Airstream, we noticed that there was a rodeo going on right next to our campground. We walked over and watched a bunch of little kids trying to ride a sheep, without much luck, but a lot of heart.

I hope that our first experience with our Airstream continues to be both enjoyable and an adventure. Hey, I could have mowed the lawn this weekend and passed the time away at the mall.