Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Post It begins again now.....

Well, just started the annual process of getting the coach ready for the season.

This weekend, I'm getting all the gear we took out rounded up and ready to be reloaded.

Next weekend, I have a wash and Walbernize date along with the plumbing flush out.

Weekend after that it's interior cleaning, systems checks, lube points and a once over for the coach before it's April trip.

..and the next weekend the Twinkie will be out of it's winter cave and out on the road for season #2!

Where are all of you in the seasonal startup process?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Well we have just come back from Florida a 2500 mile pull, but its time for us to do some spring cleaning as well. Going in this week to get a set of tires, repack the bearings and check and adjust the brakes. I hope we get some good weather to help speed up the project. I would love to be able to do some cleaning befor we take off for the Region 3 Rally in Wiston Salem, NC April 19. Wet and chilly weather is not conducive to sitting on the ground working on wheels.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie

Where are all of you in the seasonal startup process?
We've been working since seasons end to be ready for May! (No time off in April) Just about there on the 75 Trade Wind, trying to patiently wait for warm weather to do a water pressure test.

Deploying the awning this morning!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:57 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
waiting for it to rain so there is no salt on the roads!

then it will be time to get the excella out again!

john
Old 03-27-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I guess I should have added that the first leg of the April trip is a stop at Jackson Center to have that small laundry list taken care of and to also take care of the axle recall....after that, we are Thunder over Louisville bound!
Old 03-27-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Posts like this just aren't fair - 3 feet of snow in the yard - can barely see the Bambi over the snowbanks - its going to be weeks ...... just plain depressing.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We've all been there....heck, it just snowed again a few days ago, but it melted.

Cheer yourself up....fire up the furnace and go out and camp in it....we did the last few winters.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Unhappy We've got a big list

We also still have about 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Oh well, "The Tube" goes down to our local Airstream dealer April 4th to have her bearings repacked, brakes checked and to get a New Hampshire inspection sticker (any trailer over 3000 lbs in NH must be inspected annually, at least that's what they told me at Town Hall). Also in preparation for this camping year we will:
  • Install 2 new Fantastic Fans (purchased from Adohen Supply, Scott was great)
  • Install Airstream LCD TV kit (wall bracket, arm, whatever else) and LCD TV
  • Repair and refinish shower pan and sink with POR 15 Whitecoat
  • Replace toliet with newer style fixture
  • Replace brass bathroom light fixtures with pewter ones from Campingworld.
  • Replace brass cabinet knobs in bathroom with pewter ones
  • Paint bathroom
  • Repair bathroom exhaust fan
  • Paint wall/backsplash in galley area
  • Install mini blinds in galley and bathroom
  • Repair warped entrance door (using instructions found on this forum)
  • Paint portions of the Hensley Arrow hitch that have rusted with POR 15
  • Flush water system(s) and prepare for the season
  • General cleaning and oiling of wood cabinets
  • *Maybe* start stripping the failed clearcoat and polish (though not to a mirror finish)
My husbands explains to me that with this "Honey Do" list he doesn't have time to work. But work he must so we can afford to keep "The Tube" on the road.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Awning deployed!!! Whew, big ole Hornets nest up there in the Fridge vent!
I've been out there rakin the snow to get it to melt faster
Attached Images

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 03-27-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Getting "the Big Twinkie" cleaned out and the Oklahoma tag put on so we can pull it to the Airstream restoration man to go over it and tell us what needs attention. Had to get all my repair junk out so he would be able to walk in the trailer. Hoping to get whatever I really need for the hitch, and to get a trailer brake for my new Tundra. Want someone who knows to look at the axels, brakes, shocks, gas system and things I don't even know about. Gosh this sounds expensive! The temp here tomorrow should be about 80, so I'm sorry "Twink" won't be here to work on. My husband is home from Wisc., so I guess we can work on the lawn equipment and do things I can't do by myself. I got the pop rivet tool and the alum. rivets yesterday. Got the 1/8" drill bit too. I'm ready. MAYBE!
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Getting "the Big Twinkie" cleaned out and the Oklahoma tag put on so we can pull it to the Airstream restoration man to go over it and tell us what needs attention. Had to get all my repair junk out so he would be able to walk in the trailer. Hoping to get whatever I really need for the hitch, and to get a trailer brake for my new Tundra. Want someone who knows to look at the axels, brakes, shocks, gas system and things I don't even know about. Gosh this sounds expensive! The temp here tomorrow should be about 80, so I'm sorry "Twink" won't be here to work on. My husband is home from Wisc., so I guess we can work on the lawn equipment and do things I can't do by myself. I got the pop rivet tool and the alum. rivets yesterday. Got the 1/8" drill bit too. I'm ready. MAYBE!
Good luck at the Airstream doctor!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 03-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
road salt :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
waiting for it to rain so there is no salt on the roads!

then it will be time to get the excella out again!

john
John, we are RIGHT with you on that.. I have had my vintage car, bicycle AND Airstream off the roads for the winter.

I drove to Chicago today and noticed that the willows on the farms along I-90 are budding out,, actually looking green.

So it begins!
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:17 AM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Good luck at the Airstream doctor!

I hope they have the pills I need.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:56 AM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Wax time

Nice thing down here is that we use the coaches all year. I blew out the water lines and put antifreeze in the traps twice this year; otherwise, we have used the trailer on an average of once every three weeks all winter.

Today, I hitch up and take it to the wash rack and start waxing it in preparation for the Region 9 rally. It has to look good because I will be in "platinum parking" in return for showing the trailer for 2 hours on the Sunday of the rally. One unit for each year gets to be in platinum parking close to the door in return for participating in the open house. I figure that it's a pretty good trade; I just need to pack the battery-powered vacuum and some cleaning supplies to spiify it up that morning.

I'll also be selling Airstream Life subscriptions at the flea market at the rally.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:23 AM   #15
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Same drill here ....

After sitting for 5 months we have been busy getting things ready so we can hit the open road on Thursday.

We spent the day yeaterday cleaning out the trailer and truck and repacking everything ... getting rid of all the junk we don't need or have accumulated since November.

Just got back from having an oil change done on the truck ... I'll be installing a set of Bilstein shocks this afternoon.

The big wash and Walbernize will take place tomorrow. It's been fun watching everyone go through the same drill here during tha past few weeks.

The Snowbirds are packing up and leaving Arizona in droves ... this park is just about empty. Can't wait to hit the road again.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We are headed out right after the Final Four. I'll get the Classic home on Sunday, thank goodness for daylight savings time, and will probably get it loaded up next week during the evenings. No time to Walbernize so I'll do the wash, tire pressure check, and wheel lug check before I leave. We will load back in all the winterized stuff. Since our campground for the unit rally is a full hookup, I'll probably dewinterize the system there upon arrival. Hmm....good thing I did this post, I also need to fill one of the propane tanks. Almost empty. Heat pump and electric water heater save a lot of gas.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, one weekend down, a few more to go. I visited the Safari a few days ago and almost forgot how big 25' really is. I opened the door to the garage and this big silver thing was looking me dead on kind of like it was saying...what the hell are you looking at? Nothing quite like an Airstream with an attitude.....ok, I know, cabin fever is in full gear today....but what do you want from me, it's almost 60 out today!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
The "Big Twinkie" is off to camp with the AS restoration man. It is so lonesome here without it. It was almost 80 out today and when I think of what I could be doing I miss the trailer. He is now locked in a yard with several Airstreams, but he's looking good. Actually for my money, he's the best looking thing there. My new Tundra pulled him like a dream (with no trailer brake installed yet). I don't have sway bars or an equalizing hitch, but we had no trouble on two lanes or interstate. Do I really need to have the sway bars? I've been thinking about getting them. I miss my Argosy.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:16 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
It ain't goin' nowhere.......

Waaaaaa! My bathroom's totally torn apart and there's a big soft hole above the black water tank. There's screws in little plastic labled bags EVERYWHERE and trashed rivet heads as far as the eye can see....this baby's goin' nowhere this year! Boo-hoo!

Can I hitch a ride with any of you fine folks?
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sounds like you all have a bit more to do than just simple gettin' ready for the season.