Old 10-01-2002, 10:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Price of an Airstream

Prices of new Airstreams are outrageous. I can't wait until I buy one and start full-timing! <G>

For now, I am thrilled with my 27 year old Overlander. There is no way to justify buying a used RV that does not have the longevity of an Airstream. If your RV won't last "a lifetime" it isn't worth spending money on it. The Harley analogy is a good one, but I'm more familiar with Volvos. You can spend money on a 20 year old Volvo and know that it will hold up. Same with Airstreams.

As for high prices, I think one of the WBCCI problems is losing members who buy $300,000 coaches. Money is not the issue. I know of a 6 decade WBCCI member who would love to buy a Prevost or a Bluebird but his wife refuses to leave the Club. So he "makes do" with a new AS motorhome every few years...

Airstreams age well if they are taken care of. They age like fine silver, with a lovely patina. Owning a well-aged Airstream is a wonderful thing!

2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
And one more thing...

My Overlander is my first trailer. I won't tow anything else. There is nothing on the road that can compare to the roadability of an Airstream. As a child I was in an overturning trailer accident, and I don't want to have a repeat of that experience.

Old 10-02-2002, 05:45 AM   #17
John

Thumbs down

Why is it that of all the responses to my question, almost none deal with the question? I read alot of emotional crap about how great AS is, how you get what you pay for and how the other TT's don't hold up.
Since most of you didn't really read or understand the question, this helps explain the emotional side. This forum has become more of "I'm right, your wrong" mentality. When people start saying that they like an older model better than a newer one; my question is, what the hell does that have to do with the original questions. All I see are people defending their AS when there was nothing to defend in the 1st place.
I'll think twice before asking other question!
John
Old 10-02-2002, 07:28 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
The answer...

is "NO". Thor is not pricing themselves out of the market. They have a niche in the market that they fill and their prices reflect the product they sell.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:39 AM   #19
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Question What is the question

John,
Maybe you are talking to the wrong people........

maybe you should take your questions, ( which sounds more like complaints to me), to Airstream.

I did notice that you ended your first post with " I would like to hear your thoughts"

Ask and ye shall receive.

Lighten up!

Smily
Old 10-02-2002, 07:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by John
Why is it that of all the responses to my question, almost none deal with the question? I read alot of emotional crap about how great AS is, how you get what you pay for and how the other TT's don't hold up.
If you can't see how they deal with the question, you need to read them again. The answer is obviously NO, they aren't pricing themselves out of some buyers market... their target market. Mercedes doesn't market to Joe Six-Pack... Airstream doesn't either.

Quote:
Since most of you didn't really read or understand the question, this helps explain the emotional side. This forum has become more of "I'm right, your wrong" mentality.
Actually, it sounds more like a case of you didn't like the answer.

Quote:
John
You asked for our thoughts... you got them. Don't ask the question if you can't stand the answer.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:43 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

John, I think they are pricing themselves out of business. Yep they tow better, should last forever, and are an American icon. I wouldn't have anything else.

With that said: On the other hand, our friends with the white fifth wheel with 3 slides and more living area than the house that we live in, think we are nuts. They can sleep a platoon of people, have the same brand of appliances that we have and they paid less.

I am brand loyal and a active member of the Wally Club but I think they have a problem. The "Chevy drivers" are buying the white trailers and the "Mercedes drivers" ride in the Prevost's.

Wonder what Airstream's sales figures show? I might be full of it? I usually am.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:18 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Price has always been relative to income

I read with some interest all the comments regarding THOR pricing themselves out of the market and the analogy to the Harley. I don't think price will ever be responsible for this market disappearing. The Airstream has always been a high ticket item. Many of my friends remember the presence of various trailers in their lives as children and how their parents always wanted one, but couldn't afford one. The reality is the AS was the high end trailer like the Harley was the high end bike, still is, and the Cadi and Lincolns were the high end autos. They were never marketed to the average guy or the working class earner. If you look at the old adds you will see the appeal of the add men of the era was "snob" appeal. The AS falls in the area of "When I make a million dollars" or "When my ship comes in" for the working stiff and into the category of displaying wealth for the guy or gal who has made it big. I think the only reason THOR will lose this market is if they fail to provide a quality product that taps into the original ideas of the AS company. They must put care and detail into the product. All parts need to be made to last if the trailer is cared for and regularly serviced, and fully guaranteed. They need to provide this within the context of a trailer that has pop-outs and patios as well as the standard cabin. Their challenge is in the area of high end engineering that produces a bullet proof slide out system that will work 20 years from now. If a person has the $$$ to buy high end and knows the AS is the Tops then he or she will buy.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:23 PM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Easy now John....

Quote:
Originally posted by John

John
John,
I think some of us spoke to your questions (at least I feel I did). The nature of these threads are that they drift. It's the nature of the beast. So "crap" to you is useful information to others. There are no forum police here and these forums and their policies are set up to allow a natural drift in the discussion process.

So mellow out a little and take in what you feel is useful and discard what you feel is not.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Ummmm I think its called supply and demand,,, their production is less because it takes longer to build,,,that translates into higher price as long as they can sell them. They are selling them I happened to purchase their stock a year ago for $23.00 and it went up to $70+ dollars a share before it split,,,I think they doing something right.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:56 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Ken, what stock are you referring to-Airstream or Thor??
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thor,,, Airstream does not have its own stock. Kinda funny I bought the stock because I wanted to see the annual report with Airstream pictures. One of my best picks in a long time.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:23 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Ken, thanks for the tip. Thor looks like a pretty sound company-no long term debt. I think I may invest some money in the stock.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yea it has a strong balance sheet, I've also read several recent articles on how the baby boomers are just entering the RV market. Thor was mentioned as a sleeper in one of the articles. On the other hand as we know the RV market can be very fickle.

I figured that if I really believed in Airstream, then the stock should do OK.