Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Naturally, it is not as easy to find a spot for your 25 as it is for a 20. Get there early as those experienced may have already taken the "easy" spots. We like our 25 and have gotten into everywhere we want. You do not want to take a trailer over the Sun Road in Glacier regardless of width or length.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
You do not want to take a trailer over the Sun Road in Glacier regardless of width or length.
Absolutely.

Gene

Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Campsites at State Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
We've camped in campgrounds in many different state parks across the US in our 27FB. We've experienced two tight situations but never had to leave a state park campground due to inability to fit into a site. We prefer staying at state parks. There are national park campgrounds where size of site has been a major issue.
As far as private campgrounds, which we use infrequently, we've never had a problem with our size.
I stay at State Parks as much as I can, I have found that most have sites large enough for the bigger trailers such as AS 35's, Fifth Wheels, MH's. the problem is that most state parks have gone to a reservation system and you have to reserve the space in advance which I have a problem with because when we take off we do not make plans we just pick a direction and go, get a site when we decide to stop. On rare occasion when we do plan on a particular place then we will reserve to make sure the site is available such as an up coming trip that the family wants to go to the beach.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We put a 30 in state parks. Before that we put a 28 in state parks.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
All Arkansas State Parks are adequate for our 28.

Rick
Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Minnesota state parks are ok for a 31 ft so far. We've stayed in some Michigan state parks in the UP and they are also good for a 31 ft. The only places we've ever seen where we think we would have problems is on the Blue Ridge Parkway National Park, and some state forest campgrounds. Blue Ridge Parkway would not accommodate a 31 ft, and I might hesitate with a 25 ft. We didn't have that large a trailer when we went there, though. There are campgrounds close to the Parkway.
The best way to avoid problems is to call the state park you want to visit before you go. The staff there can easily tell you if they can accommodate your size trailer. Based on the size of some of the trailers and 5th wheels we saw last weekend at the RV show, many places are going to have to size up their sites if they want to stay in business. Some of those rigs are HUGE.

Kay
Old 02-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #35
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
Another consoderation - We attended a rally in a Kentucky State Park where the campsite length was fine but some of the larger rigs found it very difficult to get level because of the slope of the site.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:21 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
The only places we've ever seen where we think we would have problems is on the Blue Ridge Parkway National Park, and some state forest campgrounds. Blue Ridge Parkway would not accommodate a 31 ft, and I might hesitate with a 25 ft. We didn't have that large a trailer when we went there, though. There are campgrounds close to the Parkway.
Kay
Kay I live down here near the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I have been on it several times in a vehicle and motorcycle, but only once so far with out 35 AS, and looking to go again here in the near future. It may look like it is hard to accommodate the larger trailers but for the most part it is not. We took ours from Cherokee to the other end just for fun on a 4 day weekend, most of the pull outs was not a problem but the ones where you have to cross traffic to get into it you want to avoid unless you like the headache of pulling across traffic with a trailer. The State Campgrounds along the Blue Ridge do have restrictions on trailer length, but the private ones we used was not a problem even though they charge fairly high rates in my opinion.
Right now if anyone asked me about doing the BRP I would tell them not to until they check with Virginia DOT, in VA there is a large section that was/is closed and under repair; From BRP site;
The 11-mile section from Milepost 270 at Phillips Gap to Milepost 281 at the Old U.S. 421/221 access is closed for bridge repairs and scheduled to reopen in January 2014, weather permitting. View the news release for more information.
The 21-mile section from Milepost 355 at Mt. Mitchell State Park to Milepost 376 at Ox Creek Road is closed for road construction due to a slope failure and scheduled to reopen in late spring 2014. View the detour map for more information
Hope this information helps all out there.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Is the 25FB too long for some State Parks?

Another thought pertaining to this topic that I have posted before, in FL at least there are state p ark sites for just about anything up to 45' but the catch is how many they have that accommodate larger sizes. It really starts to taper down to a few around 30' and above.